3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2016 7:56 PM by MikeSpath

Cannot install  PI Data Archive on a 2012R2 server

MikeSpath

Hello All:

I'm trying to install the PI Data Archive 2016 on a windows 2012 R2 server, it gives me the error below.

PI-AF-Server_2016_ was installed first then this. I'm on hold with tech support but I thought I'd post it here. I'll report what it is but I'm in the field

thanks

PI Server - PI Data Archive 2016 Install Kit

Platform:  Windows x64

Version:  2016 (3.4.400.1162)

• Re: Cannot install  PI Data Archive on a 2012R2 server
          matzen

Who are you talking to on support?

The piins32.dll should be in the same directory as SetupDialogs.exe (which is the program that is displaying the error).  The piins32.dll does depend on C++ runtimes to be installed, so it is conceivable that a reboot could help, but the error is "file not found", not failed to load module. 

The bundle log is in %programdata%\osisoft\setup\log\.  The bundle log may give some hints.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Nagendra

Hi Mike,

Its worth validating if the R2 Server Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5 features installed from the Roles and Features option on Server Manager and also validate if VC++ runtimes are installed.

Regards,

Nagendra.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              MikeSpath

Hello and thank you for your help.

It turned out that the server was missing an update or the windows update was corrupted once it got into the customer facility. See below for details:

Installation of PI AF Client 2016 SP1 has failed. Setup return code 5. InstallThread Error 5.

Module Pre-Installation Tasks (2) will not be displayed because its version number is set to HIDDEN

Module PI Buffer Subsystem (10) will not be displayed because it is skipped

Module PI AF Client 2016 SP1 (12) will not be displayed because it is skipped

Running the PINS_x64.msi

A missing .dll due to a failed updated may be preventing the service from starting. The Windows Visual C++ Redistributables that are necessary are part of KB2999226.