3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 1:23 PM by Marcos Vainer Loeff

Navigating through AF Hierarchy using AF SDK

natdavidson

In developing some custom apps for our PI system, I keep running into the same question, what's the best way to navigate through an AF hierarchy in AF SDK?

As an example, how i'm handling it now, I make a new AFElement myElement, set it equal to AFObject and use the FindObject method, pass in a (previously known) path and then assign that object as AF Element.

From what i've been able to see, there isn't a clear way to Set a new AFElement to the element of another element (IE new AFElement is the child of another element).

The only way I can think to navigate through a hierarchy is to use FindObject and use a previously known path.

If this is it, that's fine, I just wanted to make sure I was using best practices.

• Re: Navigating through AF Hierarchy using AF SDK
          PatrickCrummie

There are a couple of ways,

find the new element relative to the parent. This is especially useful for descendents:

AFElement parent = (AFElement)AFObject.FindObject(PARENT_PATH);

var el1 = (AFElement)AFObject.FindObject("ChildName", parent);

var el2 = (AFElement)AFObject.FindObject(@"ChildName\GrandchildName", parent);

Alternatively you can get a child element from the parent’s elements collection:

var e3 = parent.Elements["ChildName"];

You can also loop through the child elements:

foreach (AFElement child in parent.Elements)

{

Console.WriteLine(child.Name);

}