5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 9:13 PM by kholstein

Using tags not in template

JoshRaines

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'll give it a shot. I'm working my way through the videos, so if this is mentioned elsewhere, forgive me.  In setting up an expression, I want to use a tag that isn't necessarily a part of the attributes for the template.  I'll detail out my example.

I have a building that uses steam, chill water and electricity, all of which we meter.  I have a building template that has some basic information about the building, and under that I have templates for each of the services, and those are where the attributes exist.  These services are going to change depending on the outside conditions, so I monitor my wet bulb temperature, but that attribute isn't necessarily in the Steam template, nor is it necessarily in the building template.  In the variable expressions field, how do I reference an "attribute", that isn't a part of that specific template?  Is it possible? Am I going to be required to bring the wetbulb temperature into every single template just so I can use it in the analysis?

• Re: Using tags not in template
          skwan

Joshua:

You can reference attributes throughout your AF hierarchy via paths when building an expression.  You can of course hand type the paths into your expression or you can use the "attribute" pane to select the attribute that you want to use, which I have come to learn is a bit hidden from users.  See here:

2016-11-23_9-59-55.jpg

If you're building expression at the template level, make sure you first choose an "example" element, then when using attributes outside of the templated element, make sure you choose to use either relative path or absolute path for your needs.

--

Steve Kwan

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            kholstein

Hi Joshua,

Since you mentioned that your wet bulb temperature attribute isn't on any of the system templates or the building template, where is it? There are two different ways I can think to do what you're asking, however they'll each be better in different situations.

I imagine you have something like this, albeit probably way more intricate:

1) You can use substitution parameters to reference attribute on other elements, however you do so by navigating through the layers of your hierarchy to the attribute (essentially you say where the element is relative to where you're referencing it from). So if I know that web bulb temperature is on my attribute two levels up from Steam, I could use '..\..|Web bulb temperature' since each set of two periods goes up one level (details here).

2) You use the full path to the web bulb temperature attribute, starting from the top of y our hierarchy

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                JoshRaines

Bingo - this is exactly what I was looking for, using the path structure to get out of the template and up a couple levels to where the wet blub would be located.  That way I only have to reference the wet blub once for the campus, or at least for the building, and all the sub elements can have access to it.

Thanks! Problem solved.

JoshRaines

Capture.PNG

So if I've got this right, the syntax above would go up one level from my chill water template to my building template, grab the attribute wet bulb temperature, search over the last year for a value that matches the current wet bulb temperature.

Correct?  And if I wanted to go up two levels, it would be '..\..|Wet Bulb Temperature' - and three levels would be ..\..\..|Wet Bulb and so on and so on

By the time this example is done, I should be calculating the average tonnage from three different years, based on the current wet bulb temperature matching a point from the past.  I can't evaluate this right now because I need to do a PI to PI move to get the temp in from our plant system, but I'll get on that next week.