9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 11:45 PM by aabrodsky

PI Web Services - Path

Just to follow on from the webinar, something I asked but not too sure of the answer...

Within AF for an Attribute if you assign the Data Type as an Enumeration Set, when you retrieve the value for the attribute via PI WS, can you specify to retrieve the current Enumeration Set Name or the Value (or does the underlying call just translate to AFSDK GetValue and not care to the Data Type)?

Will the path follow pretty much the same implementation of the substitute text you can apply to Templates in AF to navigate databases/elements/attributes?  It looked like it won't as Attributes seemed to be referenced by "." rather than "|" (from the webinar).

Would be nice to see some more path examples...

• Re: PI Web Services - Path
          smohr

Well, the short and unsatisfactory answer is that since AF is not supported in the CTP (nor planned for the first release), the syntax for AF paths is very much open for discussion and customer input.  However, it should track AF usage very closely for compatibility with the rest of the platform, not to mention user expectations.

So...you tell us: what would you like to see?

OK then let's shape how Data Services will work for AF

Overall concept would be to closely follow AF ConfigString and AF absolte paths.  Some examples of what I mean:

af:\\PISystem\AFDatabase\AFModel\AFElement\AFSubElement1|AFAttribute|AFSubAttribute1
              af:\\afsrv01\dstest\model001\Plant123\Pump900|Properties|PumpType

Then maybe start to be able to specify what of that attribute we want with sub path criteria:

af:\\afsrv01\dstest\model001\Plant123\Pump900|Properties|PumpType;DataType=Enumeration Set;ValueColumnMapping=Enumeration Value
              af:\\afsrv01\dstest\model001\Plant123\Pump900|Properties|PumpType;DataType=Enumeration Set;ValueColumnMapping=Enumeration Name

So you can specify what maps as the "Value" column for certain Data Types.

Just some quick brainstorming on what I was getting at.
              If you stick to a consistent path that is already in use in AF (Absolute Path not Relative Path).  Oh and could you stick RegEx support in there too if for example one wanted to search for elements (AFSDK equivalent of FindElements method).

smohr

Don't forget, you also have manners and columns to refine your query, and search has yet to be defined.

Paths locate items, manners refine the query in application specific ways, and columns specify what part of the items you want returned.  There is a real risk in trying to load too much into paths.

aabrodsky

Stephen, coming closer to the version PI Web Services 1.1 is there any forecast on a date when it will be released (planned for Q4)?

We are looking forward to using PI Web Services to get to the AF Elements, templates, attributes and their values... Is it something which will be included in that version?

Thanks,

Alex Brodskiy

Alex Brodskiy

coming closer to the version PI Web Services 1.1 is there any forecast on a date when it will be released (planned for Q4)?
                      I can tell you PI Web Services 2010 R2 (v1.1) is still on track for a Q4 release - I don't have a precise date to communicate, but you can expect it in a Download Center near you by the end of year

Alex Brodskiy

We are looking forward to using PI Web Services to get to the AF Elements, templates, attributes and their values... Is it something which will be included in that version?
                      In fact the current release (PI Web Services 2010) can already read values from AF Attributes... PI Web Services 2010 R2 will add support for some additional attribute configuration (additional Data References and Data Reference configurations). Can you please clarify what you need to read through PI Web Services, such that we can determine whether this is already supported?

smohr

Mindful of the fact that our PM just weighed in, I'll just say "sooner rather than later".  Also, we'll be picking up the extended definitions (the "settings" button in the Attributes tab in PI System Explorer) supported on AF attributes, so you can really go a long way defining what you want retrieved with an AF path to an attribute. 

More complicated, non-time series retrievals, e.g., AF elements and templates, will have to wait.  What would you like to see along these lines as a priority?  What data shapes do you want to retrieve, and what kinds of search do you want to perform?

aabrodsky

Steve Pilon

I can tell you PI Web Services 2010 R2 (v1.1) is still on track for a Q4 release - I don't have a precise date to communicate, but you can expect it in a Download Center near you by the end of year

That is something that I suspected - a Christmas box

Steve Pilon

Can you please clarify what you need to read through PI Web Services, such that we can determine whether this is already supported?

Stephen Mohr

What would you like to see along these lines as a priority?  What data shapes do you want to retrieve, and what kinds of search do you want to perform?

Well, we are developing some custom silverlight web parts which will be reading data from AF, so trying to find out the best way of connection.

We need to search AF elements by categories (i.e. list of wells, separators, etc), by levels/path (i.e. by asset hierarchy), search attributes by categories/names, retrieve attribute values - snapshot and history period (we are using the following data references: PI Point, Table Lookup, Object (link to another element in hierarchy), Formula). Additionally need to write attribute values (including PI Points and including Object references) back to AF/PI.

Another large bunch of requirements is to manipulate AF and PI Notifications through a web service: create elements from templates, link data references, configure formulas, delete elements, create/configure/change/delete notifications, etc.. I.e. functionality of PI System Explorer, but presented on web parts and understandble for users in their terms (assets, facilities, etc..)

Hope this does not sound scaring 

Lonnie Bowling

Another silverlight member, yeah!

This sounds like a great project and PI Web Services is a great option to explore.  I have an sample project in the PI Web Services area on creating a simple silverlight application with PI Web Services.  You are proablable already past that point, but if you are not take a look at it.

Best of Luck!!  Be sure and let us know how it goes, I think silverlight is very exciting.

Lonnie