5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2016 4:55 AM by Paurav Joshi

Running OSIsoft.Powershell on machine without installing SMT

Paurav Joshi

Hello Folks,

I have machine with Windows 7 (I know its old), and SMT is not available there. Machine has PowerShell version 2.0.

I went through one old article of Rhys here  and tried to do ADD-PSSnapin, but unsuccessful in it.

Which are the ways for me to use OSIsoft.PowerShell cmdlets in this machine?

Thanks,

Paurav Joshi

• Re: Running OSIsoft.Powershell on machine without installing SMT
          Roger Palmen

You need to use the SMT installer package to install the PowerShell tools: Request Rejected

You can try if the installer allows to install only the powershell tools, skipping as much of the other items as needed. But what's the issue in installing SMT as a whole?.

clonsberry

Since the PowerShell Tools are included as part of the SMT kit, you'll need, at a minimum, to get the SMT installer (see link from Roger Palmen above). You can unpack it. From there you can run PISMT3.msi. When run by itself it presents a window asking which components you would like to install.

Remove all the components you do not want and it should install just the PowerShell Tools.

However, having never tried this myself, I cannot predict what other prerequisites you might need out of the full SMT kit. In the end, you may have to install all of the other parts anyway.

Note, I am running SMT 2016 on a Windows 7 machine, so you should be able to install the full kit without problems. That's the simpler way to go.

gachen

Hi Paurav,

Is there any particular reason why you cannot install SMT on these machines as well? As others have noted, the PI PowerShell tools are bundled with the SMT install kit. However, I recommend against just running the PISMT3.msi. As Chris noted, there are almost always prerequisites which are also bundled in the setup kit which need to be installed as well. In the case of the PI PowerShell tools for example, you would need to have the PINS components installed (PI Network Manager, PI Message Subsystem, the registry keys, etc), which themselves need the Visual C++ redistributables installed. Needless to say, installing just by individual MSIs can leave you with a non-functional installation. If SMT really cannot be on the machines, then I suggest going through the setup kit as normal, then after it is installed, you can go to the Control Panel and choose to remove the SMT features (like the screen that Chris references).

Another note: the new PI PowerShell tools require PowerShell version 4.0+, so you may need to upgrade the PowerShell as well. It's also worth noting that Rhys' article is using the old version of the PI PowerShell tools which were only distributed to vCampus members. A lot has changed between these tools (such as even the cmdlet names), so it is preferred to upgrade the PowerShell on the machines and use the new version of the PI PowerShell tools to ensure future compatibility.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  Paurav Joshi

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for detailed explanation and few suggestions.

To upgrade from PowerShell version 2.0 (comes default with windows 7) to version 4.0, it will upgrade as windows update, which asks machine to be restarted.

Got one old article from Gregor which uses PowerShell Version 2.0 . Can you guide me to that installation if available ?

What I want to accomplish with this?

I need to check value of one tag, and if it becomes 0, then need to restart the service on interface machine.

Other options ??

From PI Data Archive to Interface only remote port 3389 works. So, can't access services of interface machine remotely.

Thanks,

Paurav Joshi

Paurav Joshi

Hi All,

Basic question in all replies is why not install SMT as whole?

This windows 7 machine is interface machine.

If I do run whole setup of SMT, it will upgrade my PI SDK (current version : 2014) which in-turn will stop my interface machine for a while. This is very big risk because interface machine is @ remote place, and if machine didn't start as expected, it will take at-least a month to start machine manually (we have tot ake worst case scenario in consideration)/

Thanks Chris, your suggestion has worked. Actually one-by-one I was going to try and find the setup which contain this option.

Cheers,

Paurav Joshi

1 of 1 people found this helpful