AnsweredAssumed Answered

Real world use cases of event frames for downtime monitoring

Question asked by jasongogal on Jan 30, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 31, 2017 by skwan

OK, so who out there is actually using AF event frames for downtime tracking and reporting?

The reason I ask is that we currently do these functions with databases. One site has more than one database, and we are looking to consolidate. While we could continue the current practices with databases, I view these as somewhat labor intensive and limited, and I am interested to benchmark against the industry for who out there actually uses AF event frames for downtime.

Some questions I would have would be:

1. How do you assign cause codes to event frames? Tied to child or related event frames? Manual selection? Enumeration set?

2. How do you write the event frame codes to the event frames? I've seen one example of PutVal being used for this purpose, and the same thread referenced a custom app.

3. Information on AF EFs used for downtime and production loss reporting looks rather slim. Is usage out there as slim as the threads here would suggest? I sort of thought there would be more examples, example codes, that sort of thing.

Intuitively I feel that using AF EFs would be a good fit for the evolution of our data infrastructure, but I need to make an informed foray into starting to resource into building the required tools if I do want to go that way. I am comfortable with creating event frames and notifications, but I don't have a clear picture of how to assign reason codes, comment, and otherwise manipulate the generated event frames. Before I go and create a whole bunch of orphaned event frames, I'd like to see if anyone out there has some examples, screenshots, tips, etc?

Outcomes