18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2009 6:25 PM by jcroonen

Testing ProcessBook .NET Add-Ins

helgesonc

I was wondering if there is a way to quickly test ProcessBook Add-Ins without needing to create a setup project and install it.  My Add-In works fine on the development machine whether running in debug mode or just opening ProcessBook by itself.  When I copy the .dll over to another machine (to C:\Program Files\PIPC\ProcBook), register it using RegAsm, and add the registry key (to HKLM\Software\PISystem\PI - ProcessBook\Addins\MyAddin.Connect) ProcessBook comes up with an error "'MyAddin' could not be loaded. Remove it from the list of available Add-Ins?".  Is there something else I'm missing?

ProcessBook versions are the same on both machines (3.0.12.3)
      PI-SDK on dev: 1.3.5.338
      PI-SDK on other machine: 1.3.2.282

Could the differing PI-SDK versions be the problem?  If so and I'd like to have compatibility going back to 1.3.2, is that the version that must be on the dev machine?

Thanks!

• Re: Testing ProcessBook .NET Add-Ins
          andreas

Caleb,

my first guess is yes, if you want to have compatibility with the older PI SDK you need to have that older PI SDK on your development machine.

Regards,

helgesonc

OK I installed the same version of PI-SDK (1.3.5.338) on a different computer and when I try to register MyAddin.dll via RegAsm I get the following error:

RegAsm : error RA0000 : Could not load file or assembly 'Extensibility, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I created a new ProcessBook Add-In project and noticed that one of the References is named "Extensibility" with a path of "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Visual Studio Tools for Office\PIA\Office11\Extensibility.dll" (Type is .NET, Version is 7.0.3300.0, and Copy Local is False).  Is that what RegAsm was trying to find?  I'm sure that not every computer that this Add-In will be installed on will have VS 2008 (and possibly not Microsoft Office either).  Any ideas?

Thanks!

jgolla

Caleb,

It is not necessary to have VS on all the machines, but ProcessBook .NET addins do require the Extensibility DLL as you have seen. This file isdistrubuted as part of the ProcessBook 3.1 setup kit, the file name is extensibilitymsm.msi. This will need to be installed on any machine that you wish to use your addin on.

Jason

I load the c:\Program Files\PIPC\Procbook folder with the add-in dll, tlb and Interop.PBObjLib.dll add the registry setting with AddinReg.reg and register the add-in w/ RegAsm and my addin's work as expected.