6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 12:37 AM by njacobs

Value does not fall in expected range

Mohammad

Hello Friends

I just started working with ACE and I would like to write my codes in Visual Studio 2008.

I am facing with an error when I am defining input and output tags in ACE Wizard.

When I click the finish button in ACE Wizard , an error message appears saying that the VALUE DOES NOT FALL IN EXPECTED RANGE and it does not open the code environment.

Could you please make comments on this issue?

Sincerely

Mohammad

• Re: Value does not fall in expected range
          Daniel Takara

Hi Mohammad,

Maybe the error message and the behavior you are seeing are an indirect consequence of the fact that you are not being granted with the required read/write permissions on the PI Module Database.

What messages do you see in the message log of your default PI Server when you open the ACE Wizard in MS Visual Studio 2008?

This is what I get on the local PI Server on my laptop (which is defined as the default PI Server on my PI-SDK Known Servers Table) when I open the ACE Wizard in Visual Studio:

0 pinetmgr 7-Oct-09 17:26:53
           >> Connection accepted:     Process name:  devenv.exe(10148) ID: 52

0 devenv.exe 7-Oct-09 17:26:53
           >> Successfully connected to server DANIELTAKARA as piadmin

0 pibasess 7-Oct-09 17:26:53
           >> Trust <!Proxy_127!> Granted to: NEORIS\daniel.takara||127.0.0.1|devenv.exe (0 ms)

0 pinetmgr 7-Oct-09 17:26:55
           >> Successful login  ID: 52. Address:  . Host:  . Name: devenv.exe. User: piadmin. Trust: !Proxy_127!

0 Connection Information 7-Oct-09 17:26:55
           >> Connection ID: 52 ; Process name: devenv.exe ; User: piadmin ; OS User:  ; IP:  ; AppID: 0 ; AppName: ACE Wizard ; Flag: 1 (connecting) ;

Mohammad

Thanks Daniel

I checked the PI Message Log and I do not see any problem. I copied the log here:

0 devenv.exe 10/7/2009 3:42:00 PM
              Successfully connected to server PI-SERVER as piadmin

0 pinetmgr 10/7/2009 3:42:00 PM
              Connection accepted:     Process name:  devenv.exe(7552) ID: 55

0 pibasess 10/7/2009 3:42:00 PM
              Trust <!Proxy_127!> Granted to: PI-SERVER\Administrator||127.0.0.1|devenv.exe (0 ms)

0 pinetmgr 10/7/2009 3:42:04 PM
              Successful login  ID: 55. Address:  . Host:  . Name: devenv.exe. User: piadmin. Trust: !Proxy_127!

0 Connection Information 10/7/2009 3:42:04 PM
              Connection ID: 55 ; Process name: devenv.exe ; User: piadmin ; OS User:  ; IP:  ; AppID: 5 ; AppName: ACE Wizard ; Flag: 1 (connecting) ;

0 pinetmgr 10/7/2009 3:42:29 PM
              Connection accepted:     Process name:  SMTHost.exe(1808) ID: 56

0 SMTHost.exe 10/7/2009 3:42:37 PM

0 pibasess 10/7/2009 3:42:37 PM
              Trust <!Proxy_127!> Granted to: PI-SERVER\Administrator||127.0.0.1|SMTHost.exe (0 ms)

I think the problem is between VB2005 and VB2008 because the title of error message is PIACEWIZARD 2005 AND 2008.

printscreen.bmp

please take a look at the print screen

Obrigado

Mohammad

Make sure you are using the latest version of PI ACE (2.1.32), available on the vCampus Download Center. I know they fixed a similar problem not too long ago. Then you could also try to close Visual Studio and repair PI ACE from the Add/Remove Programs window. Let us know if that doesn't help and we'll try to sort this out.

Daniel Takara

Mohammad

0 devenv.exe 10/7/2009 3:42:00 PM

0 pinetmgr 10/7/2009 3:42:00 PM
                    Connection accepted:     Process name:  devenv.exe(7552) ID: 55

0 pibasess 10/7/2009 3:42:00 PM
                    Trust <!Proxy_127!> Granted to: PI-SERVER\Administrator||127.0.0.1|devenv.exe (0 ms)

0 pinetmgr 10/7/2009 3:42:04 PM
                    Successful login  ID: 55. Address:  . Host:  . Name: devenv.exe. User: piadmin. Trust: !Proxy_127!

0 Connection Information 10/7/2009 3:42:04 PM
                    Connection ID: 55 ; Process name: devenv.exe ; User: piadmin ; OS User:  ; IP:  ; AppID: 5 ; AppName: ACE Wizard ; Flag: 1 (connecting) ;

Well, it seems like permissions are not the issue here, since VS2008 is connecting to PI with piadmin priviledges.

Mohammad

I think the problem is between VB2005 and VB2008 because the title of error message is PIACEWIZARD 2005 AND 2008.

printscreen.bmp

please take a look at the print screen

"PIACEWizard2005and2008" is the name of the PI ACE Wizard dll file for both versions 2005 and 2008 of Visual Studio. You can find that dll file in folders \Program Files\PIPC\ACE\Wizard2005 and \Program Files\PIPC\ACE\Wizard2008.

Mohammad

Obrigado

De nada, Mohammad. I'm sorry I could not really help in this case. Let's see what Steve or other OSIsoft guys will say.

njacobs

There is a known issue where this error appears if the Wizard quits unexpectedly with the toolbar displayed in Visual Studio 2005 *without* service pack 1 . The solution is to start Visual Studio without the add-in, uncheck the toolbar, then load the add-in.

Service Pack 1 appears to correct the problem, so no fix was made in the Wizard.

The error may occur for other reasons; it's a generic "array out of bounds" error.

Have you opened a call with technical support? This is really the kind of question that should go to them.