10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2013 1:49 PM by ImenIO

PI and Other Model Simulators

Mohammad

Hello Friends

I would like to ask you this question because I have been facing it many times.

As everybody knows PI is fed mostly by data sources such as SCADA system and there are many other client tools (OSI) that gives you the ability to manipulate the tags and a lot more. My question is that how I can use this ability and bing in  non-real time simulators and feed the PI system and make use of power of other client tools. I say in more detailed with an example, one of the big process simulator in the market is HYSYS and it simulates all processes and in some cases, OSI can come in and add more functionalities but the problem is that how I can integrate HYSYS and calculation results to OSI World.

I do not know maybe I should have asked this from TechSupport not Vcampus but the reason is that I saw the title of this forum was PI Integration.

I would appreciate if you give comments

Sincerely

Mohammad

• Re: PI and Other Model Simulators
          Daniel Takara

Hi Mohammad,

In general, the first thing to check when researching options for off-the-shelf integration between PI and another system is if the other system supports standard protocols, such as OPC, DDE, Modbus, OLEDB, ODBC, structured text files, etc.

I am not familiar with HYSYS, but I understand it may generate simulated time-series data and you may want to make such data available in PI tags, so that you can use it with standard PI client tools (ProcessBook, DataLink, etc).

According to the HYSYS 3.1 User Guide:

HYSYS 3.1 User Guide

HYSYS now contains the ability to represent a simulation case in XML form.
          (...)
          Benefits of the HYSYS XML tool:
          A structured output of simulation case data that can be queried using XML tools

If the HYSYS XML tool is able to generate simulation time-series data, then it may be possible to send it to PI using OSIsoft's off-the-shelf PI-XML interface, although one may have to do some clean-up on the XML file generated by the HYSYS XML tool, before the PI-XML interface is able to parse it correctly. Note that I've never tested it myself, it's just a possibility that I am mentioning.

Furthermore, it may be possible to send HYSYS simulation time-series data to PI by customization on the HYSYS side, using HYSYS libraries (and, of course, some PI data access library, such as the PI-SDK). The Implementing Interfaces section on the Aspen HYSYS Customization Guide has preliminary information on the HYSYS side about how this could be achieved.

Mohammad

I do not know maybe I should have asked this from TechSupport not Vcampus but the reason is that I saw the title of this forum was PI Integration.
              Absolutely, that's exactly the kind of questions we like on vCampus: integration

Unfortunately, I'm not personally familiar with HYSYS either... just like Daniel, I would recommend looking for standards - that way you can use our off-the-shelf products. From my readings, I could observe at least 3 different ways people integrated PI with HYSYS:

1. Apparently HYSYS has a "DDE Sync Array Driver" function to import/export data from/to other systems within Microsoft Excel. You could create some sort of table that has the mapping of the PI Points and HYSYS variables, then make use of PI DataLink to bring current/archive/calculated values to read data from Excel, and finally use the HYSYS DDE driver to get the data back into the model.
              2. HYSYS seems to offer a COM-based OLE automation interface, which means you could write your own code to exchange data with PI. On the PI end, you could make use of PI ACE, custom PI SDK code, the PI OLEDB Provider with ADO objects or an OPC application using our PI OPC DA/HDA Server.
              3. HyproTech (AspenTech) developed an interface to PI - please contact your Account Manager for more information on this.

Anybody else in the community who already had to deal with HYSYS? Are you aware of any OLEDB/OPC connectivity?

Mohammad

Hello Daniel and Steve

Thanks for the responses. Now I realized how I can make connection to other applications. To add to my knowledge, I would like to know what connectivity interfaces OSIsoft offers for integration to other applications.

I apprecite if you add links for download or user manual for more readings.

Thanks

Mohammad

Daniel Takara

You can get documentation on OSIsoft off-the-shelf interfaces from the following menu on the OSIsoft TechSupport website:

TechSupport_5F00_InterfaceHomePage.JPG

From that menu, you have a "Search All" link, which takes you to a page where you can just type in a key word related to a specific system and it will return you a list of OSIsoft off-the-shelf interfaces that may be used to integrate PI with that system. Such list contains the links to the home page of each interface.

For instance, this is the PI OPC Interface home page:

PI_2D00_OPC-Interface-HomePage-_2800_sm_2900_.JPG

As you can see, on the right side of an interface home page, you have links to its documentation, such as its user manual, release notes, etc. The same applies to the home pages of other OSIsoft products (client products, layered products, server products, etc).

Mohammad

Obrigado for the full answer.It is a muito bem description. :)

Mohammad

Daniel Takara

De nada, Mohammad!

Steve described very well the PI Data Access technologies. They basically allow programmatic access to data stored in PI and writing data into PI. Some of them are OSIsoft's proprietary protocols (such as PI-SDK, PI-API, AF-SDK and AN-SDK), while others were developed for compatibility with industry-standard protocols (such as the PI OPC DA/HDA Server, PI OPC UA Server, PI OLEDB Provider, PI web services, PI JDBC, etc).

The hundreds of so-called PI interfaces (whose documentation I pointed you to previously) are off-the-shelf OSIsoft products and are used more often to gather data from external systems (using either a industry-standard protocol or a proprietary programmatic library built by the vendor of the external system, depending on the PI interface) and send these data to PI (in most cases, using PI-API calls and, in a few cases, PI-SDK calls as well). Most of PI interfaces support bi-directional communication though and many PI users use PI interfaces to send data from PI to external systems too.

By the way, in Portuguese, "bem" = "well", while "boa" (feminine) = "good", so you would say "é uma descrição muito boa." as a translation for "It's a very good description."

In a nutshell, the PI "Data Access" technologies are:

• PI OLEDB Provider: exposes PI as a relational database and enables querying PI by means of SQL queries (link to discussion forum).

One would normally use this in other systems that support the OLE DB standard (MOSS, SQL Server, Oracle, ERPs, CRMs, etc.) or develop custom applications using ADO or ADO.NET.

Also available is the Beta version of the PI OLEDB Provider v4, which provides an OLEDB Provider for AF in addition to the regular PI OLEDB Provider.

• PI OPC DA/HDA Server: exposes PI as both an OPC DA Server and an OPC HDA Server. One would normally use this in conjunction with sytems supporting the OPC DA or HDA specifications (process optimization products, calculation/analysis engines, etc.) or develop custom applications using the OPC Foundation's OPC Automation specific or OPC .NET API to develop custom applications. (link to discussion forum, link to blog)

• OSIsoft SDKs: Object-oriented class/type libraries which allow developing custom applications and read/write data from/to PI - typically used in ProcessBook or Excel's VBA environment or in standalone applications, in conjunction with other systems' APIs or SDKs. (link to discussion forum)

Also available as Community Technology Preview (CTPs) to vCampus members:

• PI Web Services: gives access to PI via standard HTTP/SOAP web services (link to blog, link to discussion forum)

• PI OPC UA Server: exposes PI via the OPC Unified Architecture (UA) specification, the newest specification from the OPC Foundation (link to blog, link to discussion forum)

• PI JDBC Driver: same as PI OLEDB Provider but for the JDBC protocol. Unlike OLE DB, JDBC can be used on other operating systems than Microsoft Windows (e.g. Linux). (Link to discussion forum)

The documentation for all these products is on the vCampus Library, under the vCampus PI Products Kit > Data Access Technologies branch.

The setup kits for all these products are available on the vCampus Download Center (except PI Web Services and PI OPC UA Server, which CTPs are provided as "hosted versions" for now... please see their respective blogs for details).

Hope this helps!

And you have the hundreds of standard PI Interfaces as well...

Essentially, they're out-of-the-box products that typically gather data from some data source (whether it's a control system, a network device, a web page/service, a file, a database, etc.) in an automated/scheduled manner, and write this data back into PI. Most of the time, these PI Interfaces are bi-directional and support writing back to the data source.

Daniel outlined how to find more information on these