11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 8:23 AM by andreas

Viewing Notifications in Sharepoint environment

fraser

Has anyone set up a solution for viewing notifications in Sharepoint enviroinment?

Is it possible to use DLES with Notification Client on the Server in some way to allow user to see notifications?

I would welcome your ideas / solutions...

Thanks

• Re: Viewing Notifications in Sharepoint environment
          andreas

Fraser,

The nofification client would not work with DLES - you would need a notification client for excel services. I'll check with the developers.

regards,

andreas

Fraser,

sorry - I was totally wrong. Here is the Information regarding DLES and PI Notifications:

Setup PI Notifications

PI DLES supports PI Notifications, but does not include PI Notifications in the DLES installation kit.

To use PI Notifications with PI DLES, the following steps are required:

• Download AF Client and PI Notifications setup kits from the technical support web site and install on the same server as PI DLES.
              • Enable Kerberos delegation on the server where DLES is installed.

Note: Kerberos delegation is required for any PI DLES installation that includes PI Notifications.

• Issue an iisreset on the server where DLES is installed.
              • Restart the PI DataLink Service on the server where DLES is installed.

regarding other options, we do not have firm plans for another client tool (such as a dedicated Webparts) to expose PI Notifications in SharePoint.

Hope this helps,

fraser

Thanks and Glad you were wrong Andreas!

Will do some testing of this :-)

A shame that OSIsoft isn't really hitting the web part functionality hard with all the nice AF / Notifications features - I wonder if anyone has set up their own Web Part interfacing to AN SDK?..

fraser

I have had a look at the Notifications offering in DLES and it looks kind of limited out of the box.  Do you know of anyone or can I get in contact with anyone in OSI who has developed a dynamic solution that would display a filtered list of Notifications in DLES that is dependent on parameters coming from Pi WebParts.

Eg. A list of all Notifications for the last 3 days that have been raised for the element 'BC01'.

WOuld be good to have a real example on how to set up the DLES spreadsheet.  The basic set up is quite limited and I'm not sure how dynamic I can set up the Notifications add-in in the DLES environment.

Thanks

You might want to take a look at the "PI Integration 101" webinar. Among other things, it goes through the usage of PI DataLink for Excel Services and how one can create parameters in the spreadsheet to receive data from other web parts (through named ranges).

I also invite you to consult the 2 following documents, available on the vCampus Library:

1. The PI DataLink for Excel Services User Guide - the "Create Named Ranges as Parameters" section, more specifically
                          (this is under the "vCampus PI Products Kit > Client Products" branch in the Library)
                        2. The Provide PI Module Contexts to PI DLES Accelerator accelerator
                          (this is under the "OSIsoft - Microsoft Accelerators > Dynamic OBA with SharePoint 2007 Enterprise" branch of the Library)
                            fraser

Thanks Steve,

I have looked at these but wondered if you could help me with how I am supposed to set the excel formula up to be dynamic and use the named ranges?

Currently if I set up a Notification Search in Excel I get the following formula:

=PINotificationSearch("Recent", "SPServer", "3", "Days", "NM,ST,ET,DU,SA,PR,AK,CT", 7, "")

Will the formula allow me to set up dynamic parameters in it - as it seems to be locked and harcoded to the initial values used.  I assume if it is to work I should be able to change the formula to use the named ranges?