5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2013 12:34 AM by Gopal

Integration with SAP

Mohammad

Hello Friends

I am wondering whether the integration of PI with SAP is the same of PI Integration to other applications. I mean we would use the same PI technologies like OLEDB, JDBC, etc to access or send to SAP.

Thanks

Mohammad

• Re: Integration with SAP
          Daniel Takara

Hi Mohammad,

There are some options to do that integration, involving products on both the PI side and the SAP side.

The first option I would mention is using the PI OLEDB Provider on the PI side and SAP MII on the SAP side. Ok, so now you would ask: what is MII?

MII (Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence) is an SAP product designed for integration with shop-floor systems. It was originally developed by Lighthammer, which was acquired by SAP some years ago. MII contains built-in connectors for interfacing with a plethora of systems (does it resemble PI in some way?). Furthermore, it provides native BAPI/RFC calls to SAP ECC modules (PP, PP/PI, QM and PM are the modules most often integrated with PI).

MII_2D00_03.JPG

It allows the creation of the so-called transactions, which are basically programs containing action blocks for common programming structures (repeaters, if-then-else structures, assignments, etc) and an extensive set of I/O features (via XML, flat file, FTP, e-mail, BAPI/RFC calls, etc), enabling visual (but powerful) programming of interfaces, calculations and many other functionalities.

SAP also provides MII transaction templates for vertical integration between PI and SAP ECC in compliance with the ISA S95 standard.

MII_2D00_01.JPG

MII 12.0 (its latest released version) runs as an application on the SAP NetWeaver Web Application Server.

MII comes with a built-in PI connector, the so-called PI-UDS Server. Using PI-API calls, it provides natively access to tag data: raw archived data, sampled data, summaries (average, total, minimum, maximum, standard deviation) and tag properties.

In order to allow MII to access to PI Batch Database data and MII to write data to PI tags in any specified timestamp (i.e., not only current time), the PI OLEDB Provider is required. In this case, MII will see PI just like any other OLEDB provider.

Celanese made a presentation on the OSIsoft User Conference 2009 on how it is using both PI and MII.

Also, a customer of mine and I made a presentation on the Regional Seminar in Brazil 2008 about vertical integration using PI and MII. It's in Portuguese, but I thought you might want to give it a try, as you are a Portuguese language enthusiast.

These presentations are more business-oriented than technical, but you may want to take a look at them just to have an idea of possible use cases.

gretchen

The latest direction for integration with SAP is by web services.  You need SAP ECC 6.0 and then the Enhancement Package that contains the services for the module of SAP you want to configure to.  SAP does not allow you to integrate with ODBC and OLEDB.  The web service route will be the most open and meet with future directions in SAP.

Gretchen

Daniel Takara

gretchen

SAP does not allow you to integrate with ODBC and OLEDB.

Did you mean that the SAP ECC 6.0 Enhancement Package does not allow the integration with ODBC and OLEDB? I am asking this because MII, as an SAP product that allows integration with SAP ECC using BAPI/RFC calls, allows the integration with ODBC data sources and OLEDB Providers (including the OSIsoft PI OLEDB Provider).

gretchen

The web service route will be the most open and meet with future directions in SAP.

I don't mean to over-advocate on behalf of MII, but MII can serve as the middle-tier between the SAP ECC (not only using direct BAPI/RFC calls, but also via web services, as can be seen in this SAP white paper) and PI (either via the PI OLEDB Provider or simply via MII's built-in PI UDS Server connector, depending on the integration requirements, as I mentioned in my previous post).

ssaad

Hello Takara and Gretchen,

Along the past week I teamed up with some colleagues from the MII development team at Petrobras in order to integrate MII and PI AF.

We´ve successfully integrated MII to AF by mapping an OLEDB connection in PCo (UDS´s successor) to PI OLEDB Enterprise (although we´re experiencing performance issues on the PI OLEDB Enterprise side - see thread vcampus.osisoft.com/.../22059.aspx).

We´ve also been trying to integrate MII to AF by invoking PI Web Services, but there seems to be an incompatibility between MII´s service action block and WCF web services (which is what PI Web Services are based on). My colleague Fabio Faldini posted on SAP forum last night but got no answer so far (scn.sap.com/.../2145845).

Do you know of anyone who has successfully integrated MII to PI and/or PI AF using PI Web Services?

[View:http://vcampus.osisoft.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/13/1440.PItoMII.zip]

You may want to look at using PI Notif. and the XML delivery channel - also see these two HandsOn labs from 2011 and 2012:

vCampus 2011 Hands On:

SAP and Maximo integration using Web Services and PI Notifications

ABSTRACT:  Did you know that AF data models can be used to map data for posting transactions to SAP, Maximo and other line-of-business systems? Attend this hands-on lab for step-by-step instructions on this approach.  In the first exercise, you’ll use PI Notifications to generate an XML file with the specified IBM Maximo syntax from MIF (Maximo Integration Framework). This updates a Maximo meter reading with a PI System value. In the second exercise, for a given SAP web service (WSDL) hosted via either Microsoft SAP adapter or SAP XI (aka SAP PI) , you will generate the appropriate SOAP XML content to send a PI value to a Measurement Point reading in SAP PM. This lab includes live access to SAP and Maximo servers for an end-to-end experience.

Pls look at the Word Doc in the ZIP

vcampus.osisoft.com/.../vCampusLive2011_5F00_SAPMaximoLab.zip.aspx

vCampus 2012 Hands On:

Integration with Business Systems using PI Event Frames

ABSTRACT: In this lab, you will learn to leverage PI Event Frames and PI Data Access to integrate the PI System with line-of-business systems. Several business integration use cases are transaction-oriented and PI Event Frames provides the appropriate infrastructure to expose time-series data in a transactional context. Attend this hands-on session for step-by-step instructions for using PI System data and events for integration with SAP ERP. This lab includes live access to SAP for an end-to-end experience. Even though we refer to SAP in this lab, the methodology and design pattern is applicable to other business integration systems and use cases such as IBM Maximo, Infor, Oracle, Mincom, and middleware such as Microsoft BizTalk, SAP MII, SAP PI (aka XI), IBM WebSphere, Tibco, and others. We will also show the use of Windows PowerShell scripts for automating several of the integration tasks.

vcampus.osisoft.com/.../vCampus2012_5F00_IntegrationwithBusinessSystemsusingPIEventFrames.zip

Also, the attached short video shows the generation of XML file which can then be picked up by MII (there is no audio).

4532.XMLReadFromPISystem.PNG

The XML delivery channel also overcomes the limitation of out-of-the-box webservices delivery channel in PI Notif. which cannot handle complex data types. See the 2011 HandsOn Lab notes for more details.