4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2009 9:14 AM by andreas

Using Excel web access as data source and RTtrend

Eng-Kiat.E.K.Tan
      I have a question. I saw an example from an Osisoft support where she showed me how to get Processbook to plot a trend using data from excel. Is it possible for RTtrend to do it as well ? If i set my data source ( columns and rows in excel ) in sharepoint excel web access, can i get Rttrend to hook up to it and plot data ?
        • Re: Using Excel web access as data source and RTtrend
          cescamilla

I don't know if you can link the SharePoint Excel web access to an RtTrend, but I do know that creating the data source in RtBaseline you can easily add that dataset into a trend, (in the same way you can make use of SQL Databases in RtBaseline) and show that in anypage alongside with PI data.

If you have an excel file with data I could use your file to show you how to include that.

I suggest you take a look at this post to see more or less what to expect.

Eng-Kiat.E.K.Tan
              Value Date
              50 09/10/09
              60 09/11/09
              90 09/12/09
              60 09/13/09
              80 09/14/09
              60 09/15/09
              89 09/16/09
              45 09/17/09
              33 09/18/09
              50 09/19/09

Cristobal,

let say i have an excel file with Data such as above, how do i use RTbaseline to create that data source ?

andreas

Never thought about that

So let us say there is no way that you get that data into MS SQL, or provide it via a webservice. You have to use Excel. Here is the story:

• You create an SYSTEM ODBC data source on the sharepoint server to use the Microsoft Excel Driver (Use the one that says *.xls, *.xlsx, *.xlm, *.xlsb if you have multiple ones, this is the Excel12 one) and refer to your Excel Workbook.
                  • In RtBaseline Services create a Relational Data Source with the ODBC connection (use the browse button for the DSN name)
                  • In RtBaseline Services create  a Relational Data Set. The SQL Statement should look like SELECT * from [Sheet1$]
                  • Use it in your RtTrend
                GChen

Hi,

As far as what I can find, Excel Web Access Webpart can only be consumer, but not data provider(http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/CH101768491033.aspx). Hence, it does not look possible for me to provide data from a spreadsheet in Excel Web Part to a RtTrend.

A second thought of mine is plot a trend in Excel with the data on the spreadsheet with PI DataLink and then upload it to the Excel Web Part, but it turns out that the embedded trend is not supported either.

Now I think if you really want to use the RtTrend WebPart to plot your data, Cristobal's idea utilizing custom dataset as data source in the first reply may be more viable.