Just like you guys, I sometimes do not see the whole range of buttons in the text editor - only new posts only, never on replies or editions of a post.
What I found works is, if you just click on the Preview tab and then come back on the the Compose one, the buttons reappear magically! I find it better than hitting the F5 key to refresh, since you may have typed some text already which you'll lose... This seems like a bug in the "community platform" we are using for vCampus - which is, by the way, undergoing an upgrade project as we speak. This upgrade should take care of a number of little things that were reported over time
Hope this helps!
As this seems to be moving towards a discussion regarding the forum, i have split the post and created a new thread for this.
Thanks, Andreas. I appreciate it.
I have never had the issue you guys have, not even once.
I would preffer to use Steve solution as pressing F5 may erase whatever I have written already in the editor. But it really has never happened to me.
Thanks for your suggestion, but the workaround you suggested unfortunately does not work for me though. Apparently the only option I've got is to hit F5 (sometimes have to do that more than once). It may not be the best workaround in the world, but it's not so bad after all: it's just a matter of checking if all the buttons I'll need are there, before typing anything for the new post. Hopefully the vCampus website upgrade will fix this.
I'm one of the original developers who worked on vCampus and I've been looking into the issue. I'm also running IE8, but I have not been able to reproduce it. The HTML editor is a third party component, and is probably beyond our control to fix even if we discover what's causing the issue. Hopefully this will resolve itself when we upgrade the site.
I have noticed that IE8 doesn't play nice with some plug-ins. I had a problem where IE8 was reporting a crash regularly and discovered when I turned off my Skype IE plug-in the problem stopped. So if you haven't tried this already, turn off your plug-ins one at a time and see if the issue goes away.