46 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 12:46 AM by formerpigeek

What did you get out of vCampus Live! ?

MichaelvdV@Atos

Last Friday I returned from the OSIsoft vCampus Live! event in San Francisco, CA.

I must say, it must have been one of the best events I experienced. I found everything well organized, and the sessions where really great (as was the food and the wine :) ).

I held a session about LinqToPi, which was well received (Thank you Steve and Bodo!)

I really enjoyed it, and I learned a lot! Besides that, I think one of the most valuable oppurtunities of this event was the chance to talk to a lot of you in person, as well as to OSIsoft staff.

How did you experience the event, and what did you get out of it ?

• Re: What did you get out of vCampus Live! ?
          matthew.rivett

This was the first developers conference/vcampus live that I have been able to attend and I think it was worth going to.

Some of the topics that interested me were virtualizing the pi client tools. We are currently using SMS to deploy them which is a pain because it requires that someone build a package. If we can make it virtual and have the software centralized it could make our next upgrades easier.

I have been using performance monitoring and ACE code for some time to make sure our PI servers are operating normally (PI monitoring PI, great isn't it). In one of the presentations Digital Bond Portaledge was briefly mentioned. It sounds interesting and I'm looking into getting access to the code.

Having Microsoft employees available was also good. I've been interested in the StreamInsight project and was happy to see one of the developers at the conference. The PowerPivot functionality of Excel 2010 is also interesting.

It was good to see some of the friends I've made at OSIsoft and to meet new people. With the exception of vCampus itself it was nice that there was very little sales involved.

MichaelvdV@Atos

It appears that you where there more for the System Integration/Administration standpoint then from a developers standpoint, am I right?

I followed the developers track mostly, but I found the SI/Admin track also very interesting. But, one has to make choices with all these interesting sessions!

Meeting new people (and people I knew virtually) was maybe one of the biggest advantages of the event!

I totally agree with you on the fact that there was not much sales involved (I found the last sessions a bit 'sales' like, but I didn't really mind that and found them also very interesting).

I really liked the overall setup

As Andreas said, we're glad you enjoyed the event and are looking forward to put together an even better event next year.

Matt Rivett

I've been interested in the StreamInsight project and was happy to see one of the developers at the conference
                As you may remember from the session, a Community Technology Preview (CTP) version of the PI System StreamInsight Adapter shall be made available shortly on the OSIsoft vCampus. We also created a new discussion forum for that purpose, with people from OSIsoft and Microsoft available to answer question and digest your feedback.

Stay tuned!

I didn't get anything out of the event...because I couldn't spare the time [:'(]  Oh well I will be there for the sales pitches in the April UC.

Will any of the presentations be made available on vCampus?  In particular anything on the ERD code review.

Was there any presentations on using Microsoft Surface with PI data?

cescamilla

Yes, there was one presentation on using Microsoft Surface with PI Data... but the name was kind of funny, it was called "Touching your Data with Microsoft Surface".

It was a good presentation and you could actually get to play with it a bit later while having dinner.

I don't think they will made available on vCampus for people that could not attend. We'll see you at the UC

Well I have been thinking about touching my PI data for a while now Just waiting for a gap in the schedule to start looking in to Surface, would have liked to have seen that presentation.  Just have to stick to the 3D virtual world of PI for now...

One of my takeaways from that presentation (other than the fact you can do really, really nice stuff with AF SDK and PI SDK), is that Windows 7 leverages the same multi-touch functionality - that means one can develop multi-touch applications to run on regular computers (with a touch-enabled monitor, obviously) without having to spend several thousand dollars on the MS Surface device.

Pretty useful for any and all of our clients, I would say... imagine those control rooms with just a few large touch monitors rather than good ol' days control panels

cescamilla

In that note, and really unrelated to this but.. there are some table devices (like the bamboo) that are multitouch devices and are really inexpensive (70 usd). I think that's a really good gadget to buy and start developing some cool apps!

Here is a link to the device :)

I'm still waiting the day in which microsoft will support several mice to be connected. Well... just as other OSes do.. you know?

MichaelvdV@Atos

I haven't been to the Surface session, but now I know I should have.

Too bad the Surface tables are that expensive, or else I would have bought myself one. Silverlight is supporting multitouch, so that could be really interesting.

I have looked into the bamboo multitouch tablet, but I'm not really sure how user friendly it will be (because you can't see what your 'touching' :) )

As for 'What I would like to see different/enhanced on vCampus Live! 2010? A place to relax, with some computers / gadgets, some FatBoy sacks and an Xbox :). Sounds weird, but that could be a cool place to relax and talk geekspeek with people.  Maybe somewhat of a (co-op) programming challenge could be held there.

@Cristobal:, I have 2 mices connected to a Windows Vista PC

edit:

@Steve: Do you have any idea when the video's will be available?

cescamilla

Well, I had 2 mice connected to Linux, one of them was trapped inside a "typing" device (so I could type while moving my left hand over one mouse) the other one was my pointer... and I got as far as creating a third mouse device and having two pointers running X at the same time, what I couldn't do was splitting the focus (as in having two keyboards and two mice on the same desktop, both separated).

But on windows, I haven't been able to split the mice, they both keep strugling to move the primary cursor. and there is a bad reason for this, in windows the HAL limits the mouse input to be the sum of all it's devices, so having two mice was impossible due to the Hardware Abstraction Layer.

Anyhow, having two mice won't allow you to fool windows into thinking it is a multi-touch device.

That's what I meant.

About not seeing what you touch, there is a Cintiq around... (a multi-touch, lcd screen, pen style device) that will let you see what you are touching, but... using that will mean that you lost the love for about 1,700 usd.

mmiller

Great Ideas for next years event.  I will be curious if the Palace Hotel will approve the Fatboys :).  I like the co-op challenge idea.  Do you think there is enought time for that?  Or would folks be willing to extend thier stay to participate?

We are working on getting the presentation videos posted.  Hope to get that done next week.

Thanks again for the great ideas!!

merighm

You have a couple of Wii Remotes at home?  Have a look this Microsoft Research guy who hacked a multi-touch surface using them:

http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/The+Knowledge+Chamber/Johnny-Lee-Microsoft-Researcher/

Moh&

bhiggin2

My fisrt developers conference after attending a number of UCs and I found this event much more educational. Great chance to sit down and talk to the developers at the Technolgy roundtables and be able to talk directly to them about the direction and application of the AF platform.

Very well organised and sessions hit the right level of detail.

My only issue was the amount of travelling that I had to do to get there and back (Ireland-UK-SF) Any chance of an East Coast location for vCampus 2010.

MichaelvdV@Atos

Is there any idea when the recordings of the sessions will be available?

(or are they already available and haven't I found them yet?)

As you probably guessed by now, we have run into a few snags with making the recordings/presentations available. But rest assured we are actively working on that and we hope to have these posted in the next week or two. Really sorry for the delay...

cjrancur

I was unable to attend because the expense was not approved.  I wish I could have attended. I'm not entirely sure why this was disapproved, since I was able to attend training that I requested after the PI vCampus option was disapproved, for the very next week and at similar cost.

I'd be interested in seeing the recordings/presentations.

I also wonder if my course was not approved due to the description in the marketing information.  The part I was interested in mentioned training for hardcore developers, or something like that, as opposed to other training for more basic PI foundational knowledge.  I've become conversant with development, (maybe you could even charitably call it hardcore development), due to some of the projects that have been assigned to me.  I'm already reasonably familiar with PI basics, having previously served as a PI admin. However, since my job title is process control, management may have balked at giving the OK for something that might seem to interfere or undermine the training of IT people in the company who are truly responsible for "hardcore development".

I'd like to ask if you could keep that in mind when planning the sales description for vCampus next year.  Or maybe send my comments on to someone who creates the descriptive wording that comes with the vCampus informational emails. Client company managers do consider the wording when deciding whether to approve training for various individuals.  Part of what they consider, is whether the training requested is appropriate to the job description of the person requesting expense approval.

mmiller

Thanks for the note.  We spent a lot of effort into putting the right language into the description of the event for that very reason and to let people know who the event was for.  Your input is really valuable!! In addition to what not to put in, we also want we need to put into the event and the description.  Steve and I will make sure we do a better job next year, let us know what items you woud like to see there. What would make it an absolute must for you to attend?

The video recordings will be available to all attendees.  We looked into having an option for "view only" into the event.  The effort for this option was more than we had time and budget to implement.  We'll likely review that too next year too. We will be pulling some of the event content into vCampus webinars, white papers and blog posts throughout the year. 

Matthew R Miller

The video recordings will be available to all attendees.

So they won't be avilable to vCampus members (Auditorium), only those members that attended in person?

Rhys @ RJK Solutions

So they won't be avilable to vCampus members (Auditorium), only those members that attended in person?
                                                        Exact: the conference registration included access to the OSIsoft vCampus Live! 2009 presentations & videos as part of the conference package—that’s one of the multiple benefits derived from attending the event in person.

Despite this limitation on the videos, most technical content has been or will be communicated on vCampus, one way or another: whether it's through webinars, white papers, tutorials, blog posts, CTPs, etc.   So, I also (re-)invite everybody to post as many questions as you have on the forums, suggest your ideas for future webinars, use the forums to request (or even provide) white papers or tutorials on specific topics, etc. Once again, the knowledge does come across one way or the other - it's primarily the "Live!" part that people who did not attend missed... meeting in person with your peers as well as your favorite OSIsoft'ies.

If you missed attending OSIsoft vCampus Live! this year, get ready: we're already working on OSIsoft vCampus Live! 2010 (details coming sooner than you think), so get ready for suggestions and to take part in the event: even more than 2009, we want the 2010 to be a true "community event".

merighm

Hi Steve,

<TongueInCheek>

You probably expected it, and I cannot help but pick on you about this.  I guess your thinking goes something like this: if people know they would have access to conference videos on vCampus, they would be less motivated to attend the conference itself in the future.  After all, one may ask, Why should I bother to attend a conference if I can watch its presentations later from my own desk?  I am not sure at all this is the reason behind limiting access to conference videos but it is a plausible explanation which, if true, would imply two things:

1-- Ensuring (future) high attendence is a primary objective that is more important than unrestricted dissemination of information.
                                                            2-- It confirms a belief that people attend conferences mostly to attend the talks in person.

[1] cannot be true because the restriction is in form, not in content, since you intend to communicate all technical content on vCampus.  However it brings up the question of what is so special about the videos.  [2] is also wrong because, even by going to the conference, one cannot attend all the talks.

So as I pondered this one word occured to me: pilgrimage.  Googling that gave me this:

a-- Pilgrims head off to be in places where miracles happened, still happen, and may happen again.
                                                              b-- They head off to a place where a vision has been seen.
                                                              c-- Pilgrimage spread language, culture, and ideas.

That is why people go to conferences.  I personally could not make it to 2009 Edition simply because I had an SAT which was enough to clear me of all my sins.

</TongueInCheek>

So can we all watch the videos now?

patricia

Hi Mohamed,

I'm chiming in here so Steve doesn't have to be the bad guy.  As both Steve and Matt mentioned, most of the technical content will be made available on vCampus, typically as a featured webinar, discussion or posting.  Some of the content has already been shared - the talk of event frames for example.  The benefit of attending the conference is that you get a special glimpse to a massive amount of information at one shot - and access to the videos after the fact.

We do intend to ensure that we get high attendance at future events and that everybody gets the value that was promised to them when they registered. We will also ensure that information gets disseminated widely to the vCampus community.  Having successful events is part of this strategy.  There is no conflict between these two.

Just my way of clarifying that the video access is a specific benefit of attending the conference.

Be assured your vCampus membership will continue give you access to all the technical information as it's released.  I'd be happy to continue this discussion in person next year in San Francisco at OSIsoft vCampus Live! 2010. 

Patricia

Here we are, the video and presentation materials from OSIsoft vCampus Live! are now available to the attendees!!

Just click on the Live! option in the top menu and enjoy!

Robert Raesemann

Why are these materials being restricted to attendees only?

Hi Rob, Steve explained further up in the thread.

Exact: the conference registration included access to the OSIsoft vCampus Live! 2009 presentations & videos as part of the conference package—that’s one of the multiple benefits derived from attending the event in person.

Despite this limitation on the videos, most technical content has been or will be communicated on vCampus, one way or another: whether it's through webinars, white papers, tutorials, blog posts, CTPs, etc.   So, I also (re-)invite everybody to post as many questions as you have on the forums, suggest your ideas for future webinars, use the forums to request (or even provide) white papers or tutorials on specific topics, etc. Once again, the knowledge does come across one way or the other - it's primarily the "Live!" part that people who did not attend missed... meeting in person with your peers as well as your favorite OSIsoft'ies.

If you missed attending OSIsoft vCampus Live! this year, get ready: we're already working on OSIsoft vCampus Live! 2010 (details coming sooner than you think), so get ready for suggestions and to take part in the event: even more than 2009, we want the 2010 to be a true "community event".

mmiller

We believe that the event provides a unique way for the community to meet face-to-face and grow beyond the online experience.  Because of that, we engage the entire company and the vCampus community to help deliver on this experience. 

So why restrict the material? We want to reward those who took the time to attend with the ability to see any of the presentations they were not able to see (mostly becuase they were in other sessions).  Secondly, if we provided all the content online, there would be very difficult for anyone to get travel budgets to go, this would result in poor attendance, which in turn would result in no event.  We talked about offering an online view option for the same price, but we were not able to handle the added cost and logistics of supporting this (this year).  If this option appeals to you I would like to hear more about that.  The other way of achieving the same means would be to reach a large percentage of the community in attendance at which point, there may not be a reason to restrict it.

One of the big things attendees get is an overall perspective on where we are going with the technology roadmap.  This will also be delivered at the UC without the deep-dive technology content. Several of the session topics will become webinars delivered throughout the year.  Are you planning to attending the UC this year?