9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 4:01 PM by spilon

Outlook Social Connector Provider for PI-AF (OpenSource Project?)

merighm

I recently came accross the following post on Microsoft's new Outlook Social Connector (for Outlook 2010). This is usually abbreviated into OSC, which is not to be confused with OCS (Office Communications Server, for which OSIsoft has recently released a Notifications Delivery Channel).

The Microsoft Outlook Social Connector is an add-in that surfaces social network data including friends, profiles, activities, and status information from social networks in Microsoft Outlook.  Through OSC, the data from the social network becomes available to Outlook so that an end user can view social data in the context of the Outlook user interface. OSC providers can be developed by third parties or individual social networks that want to expose their social data in Outlook. Think of an OSC provider as a translation layer between Outlook and your favorite social network. Another great scenario for corporate customers is to create a provider that connects to a in-house business application, and surfaces business information about people directly inside of Outlook.

I thought that this could be a good idea to surface PI-AF and/or PI Notifications data within Outlook.  Perhaps something that combines the nice features of OSC providers for Twitter, Facebook, and MOSS would make an excellent way to look at PI-AF data.

It would be nice to gather ideas on this forum on what an OSC provider for PIAF should be doing.  This brings me to the idea I proposed for "opensource" projects in vCampus. Such projects will provide not only a good context for showing how to develop PI apps, but the end result of such projects is valuable (and free) tools.

Moh&