6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2009 6:15 AM by merighm

Visualization options for PI data without using SVG Viewer

AAugustine

Many of our clients do not have permission to install svg viewer on their computers and our clients cannot view the PI data on out sharepoint platform using RTWebparts. Is there any other visualization methods available for displaying PI data on Sharepoint ? What are alternatives for RtWebparts ?

• Re: Visualization options for PI data without using SVG Viewer

No. The current version of PI WebParts requires Adobe SVG Viewer.

As a side note, version 4 of PI WebParts will be using Microsoft Silverlight as the rendering technology - according to our Engineering Plan, this is currently targeted for somewhere in the second half of 2010.

MichaelvdV@Atos

If you are up to some coding you could create your own webparts using simple images of charts/gauges or use (existing) charts for ASP.NET.

Some of them are free to use/open source. There are some really cool ASP.NET controls floating around the web that might be of interest to you.

You will not have the same speed and flexibility as with the PI WebParts though, but maybe it could be an option.

@Steve: Looking forward to the Pi WebParts 4 version! But if he cannot install the SVG viewer, chances maybe slim that he can install the Silverlight runtime, am I right?

Michael @ Atos Origin

If you are up to some coding you could create your own webparts

Coding your custom web parts is definitely an option... however I doubt an organization that does not allow Adobe SVG Viewer to be installed, will be keen on deploying, managing and maintaining custom bits of code.

Michael @ Atos Origin

But if he cannot install the SVG viewer, chances maybe slim that he can install the Silverlight runtime

Yes and no... technically, I agree that's pretty much the same.
                However, conceptually, a number of organizations will want to allow Microsoft products whereas other products (such as Adobe's) hit the "no custom stuff" mental boundary

Just my 2 (canadian) cents...

BTW, I'll move this discussion thread back to the "SharePoint Development and Integration" forum, as it doesn't really pertain to web services and our PI Web Services product.