cjrancur

Debugging message, "Unable to step, Process not synchronized."

Discussion created by cjrancur on Feb 3, 2010
Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 by spilon

While debugging an ACE executable that includes separate threads for writing to annotations via the SDK, I received the Microsoft Visual Studio message, "Unable to step, Process not synchronized."  I searched vCampus for "Unable to Step", and found an article that was thread related, regarding a background worker implementation.  After reading the post, I decided to try stepping again, and it worked just fine.  Can someone explain this?  My hunch is that another thread, besides the debugger that was stepping through, had precedence for a while.  By the time I finished reading, maybe that thread had finished it's business.  Does that make sense?  Is there anything I can do to facilitate debugging when this happens, besides getting a cup of coffee and trying again later?  This is the first time I have seen this particular message, although I have debugged this ACE program occasionally.

I'm posting this under general vb.net development, instead of under ACE, because I suspect it may be just related to vb.net, not to ACE.  If readers think this is ACE specific, I'd be glad to hear what you think.

My next question is related to the vCampus search bar. Why did the following post appear when I searched for "Unable to Step". 

[DEAD LINK] http://vcampus.osisoft.com/forums/p/204/783.aspx#783

The search highlighted the word "to" and the letters "t" and "o" in the word "stop" within the above post.  Perhaps surprisingly, the post turned out to be somewhat related, but only obliquely. Was that serendipitous search result just some kind of a crazy fluke?  Or is the vCampus google search just plain amazing? 

Outcomes