3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 8:58 AM by MichaelvdV@Atos

Comps @ vCampus Live event

Just floating an idea of maybe having some kind of competition at vCampus Live..?

Competitors are given some source code that solves a certain task (in vb/c#).  However, it has deliberate mistakes or performance issues due to non-optimised code (PISDK, AFSDK, OLEDB etc).  First to identify and fix the issues within a given 'event frame' (5-10 minutes?) get a pat on the back (or a vCampus t-shirt?).  Maybe at the end of each technology talk/session there is a mini-competition - attendees can then build up points to be an overall winner..?

Possibly a vCampus community vs OSI developers dual?

• Re: Comps @ vCampus Live event
          MichaelvdV@Atos

Yeah, that's a great idea!

I proposed something similair in the 'What did you get out of vCampus Live!' topic.

I'm all for coding challenges.

I actually came up with a really fun (and absurd) coding challenge last vCampus Live, and proposed it to Steve Pilon in the hotel bar. I believe he just taken a sip of beer, and the beer came back trough his nose :) (Steve, you remember?)

This was really about doing stuff with PI what it's not intended to do.

Maybe we can organize something like this for the next vCampus Live (I'm really already looking forward to that by the way)

Michael @ Atos Origin

I believe he just taken a sip of beer, and the beer came back trough his nose :) (Steve, you remember?)
              I remember the suggestion and the "taking a sip of beer"... but it definitely didn't come back through my nose

We discussed that amongst the team (in the past and again, after seeing Rhys' post this morning) and we would definitely like to do something around this. Our first thought was not to conduct any such contest during the event though... Maybe start the contest before and announce the winner during the event - but we wouldn't want to preclude people from attending any "evening activity" that might be going on (yes, you can still learn interesting things at 9pm!!)

Stay tuned as we communicate more info on OSIsoft vCampus Live! 2010 - and in the mean time, why don't you communicate with vCampus@osisoft.com if you have ideas for a competition topic? We'll keep track of those and think this through...

MichaelvdV@Atos

I remember the suggestion and the "taking a sip of beer"... but it definitely didn't come back through my nose

Well, maybe I exaggerated a bit, but it was super funny!

Steve Pilon

Stay tuned as we communicate more info on OSIsoft vCampus Live! 2010 - and in the mean time, why don't you communicate with vCampus@osisoft.com if you have ideas for a competition topic? We'll keep track of those and think this through...

Will do! I will ask Rhys if we maybe can come up with some idea's to send to OSIsoft