2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2010 10:48 PM by cescamilla

ActiveView in IE getting displays via IPoSM

AlistairFrith

We have developed a dashboard system for a customer whereby they use ActiveView in Internet Explorer to display pre-configured dashboards that are held on a central web server.

The problem we have is that they often need to access these from 'the field' using Citrix over a 3G connection. I liken this to using IP over Smoke Signals. Ie it is Slooooooooow, taking up to 2 minutes to load a display! Obviously once loaded, the caching makes it much quicker to revisit the display but they are understandibly unhappy with the initial load times, which do seem to be directly related to the display file size.

I don't think there is much I can do to make the displays smaller, the larger ones are around 600k. However, it did occur to me that these display zip rather nicely, the larger one zips down to 140k. Is it possible to get the web server to serve these files in a compressed form and get the browser or ActiveView to uncompress them on the client?

Regards,

--- Alistair

• Re: ActiveView in IE getting displays via IPoSM
          cescamilla

There are too many things in this post.

Alistair Frith

Citrix over a 3G connection
          You are a brave soul...

Alistair Frith

IP over Smoke Signals
          hehehe, agreed!

Alistair Frith

taking up to 2 minutes to load a display
          well, according to Citrix protocols, if the client is (and it usually is) a native client, everything get's drawn on the server and the image is sent to the viewing device, this is (by no means) effective as it is getting all images sent from the server to the client. However, the application server would need to connect to the ActiveView Server to get the file and then the application server would connect to the PI Server to get the data, after refreshing it, the Application server would send it to the viewer client. All this will, definitively, take up a lot of time.

I would suggest you look at your problem from different angles, measure the speed/latency/totals for the communication between everything involved in solving this requests. As it may be that you know there is a bottleneck, but it may not be where you think it is.

Again, depending on what Citrix Client you are using, how you configured your server and what device you are on, the PDI will not get to the Citrix Client, so the size of the PDI should not be a problem.

you also imply that the initial load time is only obvious when you are using the citrix client, does it do the same? on any citrix client and any connection? if so, you may be better off loging in into the citrix server and trying the application from there. I would blame the Citrix Server based on your problem description.

BTW, 3G networks, even with 2sec latency will serve a 600KB file in about 20 seconds tops.

• Re: ActiveView in IE getting displays via IPoSM
            cescamilla

With all that said, as this is more an implementation issue I would like to suggest you contact our regular Technical Support team... they would be better at handling that.

I sincerely believe the information provided will be of use to you.