8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2010 11:13 AM by RJKSolutions

Idea's and wishes for vCampus Live! 2010

MichaelvdV@Atos

Matt Miller anounced the dates for vCampus Live! 2010 in San Francisco last week.

Some idea's have been popping up from the community to make vCampus 2010 an interesting and educating event. OSIsoft really values our input on this, so we should provide the input.

Some of the idea's that have been proposed:

• Short talk sessions. A few short talks (10 - 20 mins each) about different subjects. This could be educating or fun subjects involving PI or programming. These could take place during (lunch) breaks (3 votes)
      • Competative programming / Challenge. I programming challenge involving PI. Maybe a challenge that starts some time before the Live event, and could be completed (in teams) at the event itself. Maybe OSIsoft could provide some price? (3 votes)
      • Geek Corner. A relaxing area with a nice place to sit, chat and relax with your fellow geeks. Maybe some Xboxes / toys and access to some PI systems to play around with. This could be a nice place to get to know some CTP software, or some parts of the PI system people are not familair with. (3 votes)
      • Rountable session about new Visualisation Efforts A session where OSIsoft staff and vCampus members can discuss the new efforts involving creating a new Visualisation Application. This should be a very interactive brainstorming and discussion session. (3 votes)
      • One-on-one architecture sesssions with key developers on new technologies.  Kind of like the roundtable idea, but on any subject.  We always have one-on-one rooms that can be scheduled at the event for specific meetings. (1 vote)

You can provide idea's in this topic, and they will be added to the topic start post. Next to that, please show your support/dislike for any of the idea's so we can 'vote' for the most populair idea's.

Let's show our support and involvement to this great event!

• Re: Idea's and wishes for vCampus Live! 2010

Michael, great post.

Unfortunately, I can't make those dates  [:'(] (Unless someone invents time travel).  However, let me still comment...

Short Talks & Programming Challenge get my vote, they would be great to participate in.  Maybe a vCampus 'mastermind' TV show type of event - Michael's chosen topic is 'PIOLEDB' .

Geek Corner would be nice but should only be applicable during coffee breaks/lunch etc otherwise I would never be off the xbox

As you mentioned in the visualisation thread, it would be nice to have round the table time on new applications/tools that OSI are looking to develop (without giving away their secrets).  OSI get immediate feedback on what they should include as a minimum.  Maybe even touch on the actual mechanics of developing such an application.

Not sure if such ideas would make the event too "fun" as I am sure there is a lot of serious content for OSI to get across to the audience.

MichaelvdV@Atos

Rhys @ RJK Solutions

Unfortunately, I can't make those dates  [:'(] (Unless someone invents time travel).  However, let me still comment...

No way! What about your 'vCampus Cloacking Device' talk? I was looking forward to that. My dreams are shattered...

Seriously: that's really to bad! I still have to get approval for the (travel) budget, but I'm definitly doing everything in my power to go to SF!

Rhys @ RJK Solutions

Short Talks & Programming Challenge get my vote, they would be great to participate in.  Maybe a vCampus 'mastermind' TV show type of event - Michael's chosen topic is 'PIOLEDB' .

Updated the vote count. Don't know about me and an OLEDB talk though.... :)

Rhys @ RJK Solutions

As you mentioned in the visualisation thread, it would be nice to have round the table time on new applications/tools that OSI are looking to develop (without giving away their secrets).  OSI get immediate feedback on what they should include as a minimum.  Maybe even touch on the actual mechanics of developing such an application.

Added as an option and updated vote count.

Rhys @ RJK Solutions

Not sure if such ideas would make the event too "fun" as I am sure there is a lot of serious content for OSI to get across to the audience.

You're right there. But I always find those 'fun/relax' places very nice (for instance at Microsoft events I visited). They give you an opportunity to talk and discuss in a relaxed surrounding.

EDIT: First idea's are in. Let's keep 'm comming!

Michael @ Atos Origin

No way! What about your 'vCampus Cloacking Device' talk? I was looking forward to that. My dreams are shattered...

Seriously: that's really to bad! I still have to get approval for the (travel) budget, but I'm definitly doing everything in my power to go to SF!

Yeah, I have another event on the 12th and can't travel until the 13th - so I need to exchange my cloaking device for a star trek style transporter.

It would be good to discuss a community project at the event or review a community project that has been created & finished (between now and the event).  Could discuss the whole project lifecycle and generate some support for further projects.

MichaelvdV@Atos

It's a shame you can't come Rhys! I was looking forward to meeting you in person!

If the community projects will take off, and there is some support for them on vCampus this is a good thing to consider!

To the rest of the community: are there any other things you can think of ?

Michael @ Atos Origin

If the community projects will take off, and there is some support for them on vCampus this is a good thing to consider!

Rhys @ RJK Solutions

It would be good to discuss a community project at the event or review a community project that has been created & finished (between now and the event).  Could discuss the whole project lifecycle and generate some support for further projects.

Community Projects?
                          Your wish is our command: http://vCampus.osisoft.com/forums/t/980.aspx 

As vCampus = 'Virtual' Campus, how about trialing a Virtual Conference?  I have heard that they are on this rise and even some news stories being run about them now.  You use a virtual world service like Second Life and wander round the conference...just a thought while I am sat here bags packed waiting to see if I can fly or not because of this ash

Obviously no substitute for sealing deals whilst having one of Michael Saucier's coffees at a UC but might be a way to capture those who can't attend..?

mmiller

I like all of these ideas!  Another idea from Richard Beeson was one-on-one architecture sesssions with key developers on new technologies.  Kind of like the roundtable idea, but on any subject.  We always have one-on-one rooms that can be scheduled at the event for specific meetings. 

We to think through the logistics of lots of short topic/events... I like the idea of doing these over breaks and lunch.  Maybe there is a specific time for this. Any thoughts?

Microsoft did some developer challenges at thier embedded conferences, which were pretty fun (battling robots), but it often took over the conference and distracted the over competitive.  It would be cool to do this if we can find some fun things to do with PI while were there.

Keep the ideas coming!

MichaelvdV@Atos

Matthew R Miller

I like all of these ideas!

I added a +1 for all idea's :)

I've added the idea by Richard Beeson.

I've added the suggestion to have the short talks druing breaks.

As for the developer challenge: I think it's best to announce the challenge 2 weeks in advance, so there could be some work done before the event. People can use their travel time on the challenge People can team up during the event, and make last minute changes/additions...