7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 11:03 AM by arm77

AF Data Reference

Armadillo

Is it possible to point attribute Data Reference to other SQL database other than AF database?

In other words, does AF integrate with historians other than PI?

Thanks 

• Re: AF Data Reference

The "Table Lookup" data reference allows you to perform SQL queries on tables defined in AF (typically through the PI System Explorer). These tables can be configured as a link to data that resides in an external database such as SQL Server or Oracle.

I encourage you to take a look at the AF User Guide that's available on the vCampus Library, under "vCampus PI Products Kit > Server Products" branch. If you want to do any of this programmatically, please post your specific questions in this same discussion forum. Should you need further assistance on the configuration/administration side of things, I suggest you contact our regular Technical Support team.

Hope this helps!

cmanhard

Currently, AFTable, and associated Table Lookup DataReference, are unlikely to be suitable as a mechanism for integrating with other historians.  The primary function of AFTables at this point is to bring relatively small (<10K rows), and relatively static external tables into AF.

AF can integrate with other historians via a custom Data Reference, however OSIsoft does not supply any. 

arm77

Hey,

I have done something similar with a custom datareference, i call it "Smart Table Lookup",

The way it works is when a current value is requested it looks into the AF table and when a historical value is requested it fethes from it from  any realational Database through a WCF service.

Feel free to ask if you need the code

Thanks

AR

Hey AR (from PDO right?)...I would be interested in seeing the code, I have some questions but will reserve them until I see some code

Abdul Rahman

I have done something similar with a custom datareference, i call it "Smart Table Lookup",
                    You'll be happy to learn that Abdul's "Smart Table Lookup" AF Data Reference has been posted as a Community Project: http://vCampus.osisoft.com/forums/45.aspx (see the Community Projects announcement here).

Make sure you check this out and do not hesitate to submit your own ideas or code on how to improve/extend this custom Data Reference! Thanks for sharing, Abdul!

jmolines

Sorry to bring this topic up after such a long inactivity time, but after having downloaded the code of the community project "SmartTableLookup", it seems that the reference to the Data Reference "OSIsoft.AF.Asset.DataReference.TableLookupDR" can't be found.

However, the DLL can be generated and run well, including parts of the code which aren't directly implemented in "SmartTableLookup" but coming from the parent class contained in the missing reference: "TableLookupDR".

As I'd like to understand how the TableLookup works, I was wondering whether the implementation of the class TableLookupDR is available somewhere, or at least some documentation about it.

Thank you in advance for your answers

arm77

Hi,

I am referencing TableLookUP so that i get same functionality of getting the current value in the same way as a tablelookup works and when GetValues(Historical Data) is requested it calls a WCF service to pull the data.

In Smart table look up i just overrride the GetValues method,

Thanks

AR