5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 1:31 AM by spilon

Deploying Datalink Reports via Sharepoint Doc Library

Kenneth.Rice

Hi Folks,

Here is a concept that we are trying to deploy.

1) Create Datalink Reports.

2) Upload the "Report" to a Document library on WSS 3.0

3) End User click a link to the Datalink Report on a WSS 3.0 Site

4) The report opens for the customer on there desktop (Datalink required on Desktop).

This works for me so far, now Im trying to incorporate AF Compatibility Excel Plugin into the concept and get an Error

Has anyone else tried this "report Delivery" method and can share some pros cons or suggestions on different ways to do the same thing.

Datalink for Excel Services is a no go for us at this point in time.

thanks in advance

• Re: Deploying Datalink Reports via Sharepoint Doc Library

This Excel add-in is not designed for use in Excel Services. And it will not be updated to do so, since PI DataLink will eventually support AF natively. In the short term, you can use the PI OLEDB Enterprise (PI OLEDB for AF) to access AF Data in both Excel and Excel Services - please see Jay's blog post about this.

Kenneth.Rice

Steve,

thanks for the response, I would like to know more about the architecture here, So are you saying that when an excel spreadsheet is opened directly from the doc library that it is rendered through excel services even on WSS 3.0? (I assumed it opened and ran from the end user's desktop).

If it does run through excel services then in theory shouldn't datalink for excel services run on WSS 3.0? I have not been able to accomplish this task, if this will work can someone share how, I would appreciate the knowledge.

P.S. thanks for the alternative thought of oledb for AF. Would one copy of oledb for af on the server support the sharepoint doc library idea?

BTW this site helps my mind run a thousand miles an hour with ideas, keep the material coming !!!

Thanks Again

Well, it seems like not a lot of people are using WSS to store DataLink-enabled Excel spreadsheet, so let me chime in again:

Kenneth.Rice

are you saying that when an excel spreadsheet is opened directly from the doc library that it is rendered through excel services even on WSS 3.0?
                  No. The file is being copied locally and then executed from the end user's desktop, as you thought.

Simply, it seems like the way Excel interprets the path to the add-in once it opens the file, is causing problems: in the error dialog you pasted in your original post, you see there is a mix of HTTP and "regular file system" addressing (http://... and then \Program Files\...). Maybe it's a matter of the version of Excel you are using, or just the way this particular add-in is coded compared to the PI DataLink add-in?

At this point, I think this would be more of a question for our regular technical support rather than vCampus (since this is not exactly programming- or integration-related).

Kenneth.Rice

Would one copy of oledb for af on the server support the sharepoint doc library idea?
                  Given my answer above (i.e. nothing gets executed up in the SharePoint site), no. In this context, the PI OLEDB Enterprise would consist of a client-side installation.

Kenneth.Rice

BTW this site helps my mind run a thousand miles an hour with ideas, keep the material coming !!!
                  Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoy! Please do not hesitate to submit your ideas for papers, tutorials, webinars, etc. - you can do so in the Generic vCampus Discussions forum.