4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 5:47 PM by cjrancur

Resurrecting DevNet CompValGrid, or color coding the details pane

cjrancur

In the past, I had modified the previous DevNet application, the Compressed Values Grid, to color code the data according to custom logic based upon comparison to custom PI point attributes.  More than a year ago, compile errors were seen on PB displays that included this ActiveX control.  The errors began when a newer version of OSIsoft's ProcBook was installed, maybe something close to PB 3.1.0.0.

Lately I substituted the Details pane for the ActiveX control in order to revive some of the displays that were broken when this happened. The main goal was to obtain a tabular listing of archived data. Then, management asked how long before color coding could be restored. The information that was previously color coded is still available via annotations.  Unfortunately, the details pane only shows the annotations one at a time, upon a click.

I don't know a way to change the color of a each row in the details pane independently and programmatically.  Is there a way?

Is there a way to append another column into the details pane to show string annotations, and even better, to color code each row based upon the annotations that would be appended in the last column?

Or, should I take another tack and try to debug the original VB6 activeX control?  Does anyone have suggestions?  I'm not sure where to begin to debug the control.  Could start again in vb6, but I don't expect to find any problems there, since nothing that I know of has changed on the VB6 side.  The change was apparently in the interaction between the ActiveX control and newer versions of Process Book.  Not sure how to even locate and define the error, let alone fix it.  Any help or suggestions is appreciated.  Do I need to upgrade the VB6 to vb.net?  And how can I make an equivalent of an ActiveX control in vb.net?  Would that even address or resolve the compatibility problem? 

I want to define my direction better, so I don't wind up heading east from Illinois to try to get to the North pole.  That strategy will never get me there!

Maybe a small clue can get me started.  Or it would be wonderful if someone else has experienced and fixed a similar issue with the former DevNet CompValGrid application or with other VB6 activeX controls that had lost compatibility with recent versions of Process Book.

• Re: Resurrecting DevNet CompValGrid, or color coding the details pane
          hanyong

I haven't seen any way that the Details pane can be customized, I am guessing that there is no easy way to do that at the moment.

Personally I would go for the option to debug the control in VB6, using VB IDE and use ProcessBook to create the control in the display and go from there. 

Creating an equivalent of ActiveX control in VB.net is possible (though there are quite bit of opinions about whether it is really an ActiveX control or not), but I don't really see a very strong reason to do that here, perhaps others have more to share about this.

A long-term solution would probably to submit an enhancement on this with our techsupport team.

Carrie Rancuret

I don't know a way to change the color of a each row in the details pane independently and programmatically.  Is there a way?
              As Han Yong pointed out, you cannot manipulate the data and appearance of the Details pane in PI ProcessBook. Nor can you control the appearance on a line-by-line basis, in the PI SDK "Archive Editor" control which is used by the Details pane.

Carrie Rancuret

Is there a way to append another column into the details pane to show string annotations, and even better, to color code each row based upon the annotations that would be appended in the last column?
              As you probably guessed with my first answer, no

Carrie Rancuret

Or, should I take another tack and try to debug the original VB6 activeX control?
              I would definitely vote for this approach. If you invested time in something and your management wants it back, it's probably easier to get it to work than re-write the whole thing. You said the errors began when a newer version of ProcessBook was installed... a few things changed in the ProcessBook automation libraries between 2.x and 3.x, but not that much - it's probably not that of a big deal to fix it.

As per my colleague Han Yong, I would definitely stay away from coding a pseudo-ActiveX control in .NET. Not only is it a weird combination (both are almost opposite, by definition), but it just wouldn't work in ProcessBook ... I already tried it and the developers confirmed that it wouldn't work.

I suggest you initiate discussion threads based on the problems you encounter and we'll help you fix it

Steve Pilon

I suggest you initiate discussion threads based on the problems you encounter and we'll help you fix it

I will second that, we are all here to help should you need it

cjrancur

Thanks Han, Rhys and Steve,

The suggestions were helpful for decision making on how to proceed with this.  I gave a demo on how to use the SQC trend cursor to select specific details in the details pane.  For instance, I showed how to highlight an SQC alarm value to see it's annotation quickly in the details pane.  With that demo, and with the information you provided, I convinced management that the details pane will do all that is needed for now, without requiring updates and maintenance of custom code built around the former DevNet ActiveX control.  Color coding allows a view at a glance, but the details pane also provides some other statistical features and benefits that the older ActiveX control did not provide.

That's a good outcome for me, since there are many other projects I'd like to put at higher priority.  Your information helped.

Carrie