14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 7:28 AM by andreas

Autoscale

matthew.rivett

Autoscale in ProcessBook will only make the scale larger and not make the scale smaller.  To get around this one of our users did the following:

Private Sub Display_DataUpdate()
         ThisDisplay.Revert
      End Sub

This would cause all of the trends to query the archive subsystem every 5 seconds.  There are also datasets on the display which cause us big headaches with pibasess using up a ton of CPU (this has been an issue for us since upgrading to 3.4.375.99 when some locking mechanism was changed to prevent pi database corruption).

Is there a way to make autoscale work in both directions?  It must be able to done with some code.

• Re: Autoscale
          matthew.rivett

For now I am just going to limit how often the revert runs.

Dim dtLastRevert As Date

If DateDiff("n", dtLastRevert, Now) >= 60 Then
                  ThisDisplay.Revert
                  dtLastRevert = Now()
              End If
          End Sub

Private Sub Display_Open()
              dtLastRevert = Now()
              ThisDisplay.Zoom = "FitAll"
          End Sub

mheere

Hi Matt,

Have you tried explicitly resetting the trend scale via code?  I don't know if just resetting it to autoscale actually forces the scaling to occur.  You may have to set it to a fixed value, and the immediately reset it back to auto.

Look in the PI ProcessBook VBA Language Reference for the trend method SetTraceScale

Regards,

Matt

andreas

Hi Matt,

Matt's suggestion works fine with just setting Autorange.

Dim MySymbol As Symbol
                For Each MySymbol In ThisDisplay.Symbols
                    If MySymbol.Type = pbSymbolTrend Then
                        Dim MyTrend As Trend
                         Set MyTrend = MySymbol
                         Call MyTrend.SetTraceScale("Autorange", "Autorange")
                     End If
                Next MySymbol
                    matthew.rivett

Thanks I think that is a better method than reverting the display.  I'll test it out and see.

matthew.rivett

This works well except it changes all trends to Autoscale.  Some of the trends have scales defined.  I tried looking at MyTrend.ScaleMin and MyTrend.ScaleMax and only reset if they are "Autorange" but they don't seem to have a value.

Private Sub AutoScaleTrends()
                            Dim MySymbol As Symbol
                                    Dim MyTrend As Trend
                                    Set MyTrend = MySymbol
                                    MsgBox ("Max: " + MyTrend.ScaleMax + " Min: " + MyTrend.ScaleMin)
                                    Call MyTrend.SetTraceScale("Autorange", "Autorange")
                                End If
                            Next MySymbol
                        End Sub
                            andreas

For a Trend you will have to check the traces. I'll need to take a look and come back with some more code

For a Trend you can just loop through the traces and set the same trace scale.  Something like...

If MyTrend.TraceCount > 0 Then
                                    For i = 1 To MyTrend.TraceCount
                                        MyTrend.CurrentTrace = i
                                        MyTrend.SetTraceScale MyTrend.ScaleMin, MyTrend.ScaleMax
                                    Next i
                                End If

andreas

Rhys was faster than I.

matthew.rivett

Thanks for the help everyone.  I'm testing out the code below to make sure there is no unexpected issues but it is working great so far.

Dim dtLastScaleReset As Date

ResetTrendScales
                                        End Sub

dtLastScaleReset = Now()
                                        End Sub

Private Sub ResetTrendScales()
                                            If DateDiff("n", dtLastScaleReset, Now) >= 5 Then
                                                    Dim MySymbol As Symbol
                                                            Dim MyTrend As Trend
                                                            Set MyTrend = MySymbol
                                                            If MyTrend.TraceCount > 0 Then
                                                                For i = 1 To MyTrend.TraceCount
                                                                    MyTrend.CurrentTrace = i
                                                                    MyTrend.SetTraceScale MyTrend.ScaleMin, MyTrend.ScaleMax
                                                                Next i
                                                            End If
                                                        End If
                                                    Next MySymbol
                                                dtLastScaleReset = Now()
                                            End If
                                        End Sub

mheere

Hi Matt,

Only thing I might suggest is doign the loop to find all the trends, and subsequently the traces that are set to auto, once and stashing the results away in a collection.  Looping through every symbol in the display is going to be a terribly expensive operation given the size of some of your ProcessBook stuff.

Something like this (pseudo code obviously)

Dim bInitComplete as Boolean

Dim cTracesToReset as Collection

bInitComplete = false

End Sub

If Not bInitComplete Then

For each symbol on the display

If symbol is a Trend Then 

For each trace in the trend

If trace is autoscale then add to cTracesToReset

bInitCoplete = True

Else

For each trace in ctracesToReset do the reset

End Sub

matthew.rivett

This particular display is pretty small.  As soon as I put the code on this display it will only be a matter of days before it shows up on every display.  So you're right and I'll look into this.

Matt Rivett

As soon as I put the code on this display it will only be a matter of days before it shows up on every display. 

That sounds very familiar

matthew.rivett

I don't know how to do anything with Traces as they don't appear to be objects.  I can however make a collection of trends that contain autoscaled traces.

Dim dtLastScaleReset As Date
                                                        Dim cTrends As Collection
                                                        Dim bTrendsLoaded As Boolean

dtLastScaleReset = Now()

' load trends
                                                            bTrendsLoaded = False
                                                            Set cTrends = getAutoScaledTrends
                                                            bTrendsLoaded = True
                                                        End Sub

Private Function getAutoScaledTrends() As Collection
                                                        ' all trends that contain at least one trace that is autoscaled
                                                            Dim myTrends As New Collection
                                                                    Dim bAddTrend As Boolean
                                                                    bAddTrend = False
                                                                    Dim myTrend As Trend
                                                                    Set myTrend = MySymbol
                                                                    If myTrend.TraceCount > 0 Then
                                                                        For i = 1 To myTrend.TraceCount
                                                                            myTrend.CurrentTrace = i
                                                                            If (myTrend.ScaleMin = "Autorange" Or myTrend.ScaleMax = "Autorange") Then
                                                                                bAddTrend = True
                                                                            End If
                                                                        Next i
                                                                    End If
                                                                    If bAddTrend Then
                                                                        myTrends.Add myTrend
                                                                    End If
                                                                End If
                                                            Next MySymbol
                                                            Set getAutoScaledTrends = myTrends
                                                        End Function

' fires each time data updates in processbook
                                                            If bTrendsLoaded Then
                                                                ResetTrendScales
                                                            End If
                                                        End Sub

' reset trend scales for all trends in cTrends collection
                                                            If DateDiff("n", dtLastScaleReset, Now) >= 5 Then
                                                                Dim myTrend As Trend
                                                                For Each myTrend In cTrends
                                                                    For i = 1 To myTrend.TraceCount
                                                                        myTrend.CurrentTrace = i
                                                                        myTrend.SetTraceScale myTrend.ScaleMin, myTrend.ScaleMax
                                                                    Next i
                                                                Next myTrend
                                                                dtLastScaleReset = Now()
                                                            End If
                                                        End Sub