6 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 10:50 PM by Asle Frantzen

Showcase thread: Sharepoint portal site for ConocoPhillips

Asle Frantzen

Hello vCampus community

As I've been one of the people requesting a sub forum for project showcases - I'll start by giving a brief description of a project we've delivered to ConocoPhillips Scandinavia, which is the european headquarters for the american oil company. The portal site has been developed since 2006 (by Amitec alone or with partners) and I'm currently working on the "2010 enhancements".

The site - called Colibri - is in daily use by production engineers onshore, and operators / engineers offshore. It fits nicely into the 'Integrated Operations' way of thinking, and helps the organization in many ways. "Excel engineering" or "Management by Excel" is now history for those parts included in the Colibri project, thus ensuring all people are working on the same data at any time.

The site started out as a Sharepoint Portal Server 2003, and was upgraded to MOSS in 2008 - making us the first internal project to utilize MOSS. It consists of RtWebParts and custom webparts tailored to the customer's needs. All webparts implement two connection interfaces - server-side and client-side (ajax) - so that no page refresh is neccessary when navigating through the contents of the different webparts on a page, and so that we can communicate seamlessly with the RtWebparts.

This screenshot doesn't show the variety of the custom webparts, but gives a general impression of the site (dummy data):

ConocoPhillips_5F00_Colibri.jpg

• Please create new forum threads for your own project showcases!
      • Please do not post or publish this image anywhere outside vCampus
        • Re: Showcase thread: Sharepoint portal site for ConocoPhillips
          MichaelvdV@Atos

Asle, thanks for being the first one to bring the 'Showcase thread' into practice.

Is the MOSS site exclusively used for visualizing PI data? Or are there other departments of the company using MOSS ?

Will it be possible for you to post some more screenshots? I like this one :)

Asle Frantzen

This MOSS server (two front end + one back end) is used for a few real time sites - mainly delivered by Amitec. After we introduced MOSS for this site, everyone went "crazy" about Sharepoint and many other departments (including the intranet) are now using it, though our server is the only one utilizing real time data. 

The Colibri site is a collection of useful tools for different users, and we have sections for Well Test Scheduling, Gas Lift and Choke data, Production Reducing Activities, Maximum Production Potential, Well Detail Status, Comments section, Alerts, etc. and we use a number of different data sources (pi, mssql, oracle, etc.)

An interesting point is that we made our own "AF" for this project. The Module Database is heavily used, and because it seemed to slow to use directly when we started getting page hits, we've made an MDBSynch app/engine which regularly syncs between the MDB and a set of MSSQL tables. As soon as the data is available in MSSQL we prepare it in an "AF kind of way" before presenting data to the users.

Another interesting point is that we also made our own "Notifications". We have an Alerts section in the page, where users easily configure their alerts - and we have our own Alerts engine which takes care of scheduling. We have the options of email alerts - and SMS alerts. I believe this was implemented in 2006/2007.

I will post some more screenshots as soon as I have a few free moments :)

Asle Frantzen

Ok, got some time for a few more screenshots. Click the images for a larger version!

The Home screen:

ConocoPhillips_5F00_Colibri_5F00_7.jpg

The Comments system:

ConocoPhillips_5F00_Colibri_5F00_2.jpg

The Short Interval Control (SIC) pag:

ConocoPhillips_5F00_Colibri_5F00_4.jpg

The Well Detail page:

ConocoPhillips_5F00_Colibri_5F00_5.jpg

The Well Test Schedule system:

ConocoPhillips_5F00_Colibri_5F00_6.jpg

• All data seen in the screenshots is either anonymized or simply test data
                  • Please do not post or publish these images anywhere outside vCampus
                      cescamilla

This is really interesting Asle, care to comment what technologies you used, OSIsoft and other? :)

I can see very customized things in there.

Asle Frantzen

Cristobal Escamilla

This is really interesting Asle, care to comment what technologies you used, OSIsoft and other? :)

I can see very customized things in there.

Yup, a lot of custom stuff.

We're using AJAX to refresh the webparts - both for timed updates and for user events, such as choosing another Platform/Well in the menu webpart. The webparts implement the IParametersOutConsumer interface in order to receive data from other Sharepoint webparts (including the RtWebparts), and the IParametersOutProvider interface so that they can send data to other webparts (also including the RtWebparts). All webparts also implement both a server-side and a client-side connection interface, so that communication works in all situations.

Most webparts have their design implemented using code only, as there is no design mode or wysiwyg edit mode for Sharepoint webparts. Some of the newer webparts are using ASP.NET UserControls, these have the advantage of having a design mode in Visual Studio - but are slightly more complex to implement as webparts.

We use the Module Database quite a lot, and for performance benefits we've sync'ed it into a set of SQL Server tables. This also allows us to add external data lookups when presenting the data, and we've also implemented a system for setting up relations between the different fields/platforms/wells etc. This was done before my time in Amitec, back in 2005/2006 I believe.

We're also sync'ing user data from Active Directory, as read/write access to different pages is coming from AD groups - making it much easier for the customer's organisation to handle.

For data sources we have various connections to different Oracle and MS SQL databases, as well as PI - both as a linked server in MS SQL, and directly using OLEDB technology.

As mentioned previously, we also have our own Alerts section - with email and sms delivery options. This implementation uses our standalone product Amicall (personnel mobilization software) behind the scenes.

These days Dundas Charts and Gauges is the new, hot thing at ConocoPhillips. We've previously delivered solutions using the Dundas Charts for ASP.NET version, and now we're using the Dundas Charts/Gauges for Sharepoint as well.

Andreas

Hi Asle,

another one of these nice AMITEC projects . Are you using only PI data for the trends or is there any web service/relational data as well in the trends (I assume the tables use the other data sources you mentioned)?

Thanks! Yes, there is data from both PI and relational databases in the trends, set up through RtBaseline. Same thing with the tables, but set up through custom webparts.

Andreas

I remember seeing some similar SharePoint sites with ships instead of platforms - that was a different project, right? Could you share some of these as well? It looks like you have build several of these sites and gained quite some experience in what your customers/users need to succeed.

Yes, we have one with FPSO vessels (Floating Production Storage and Offloading) as well. That could be my next showcase thread!

andreas

Hi Asle,

another one of these nice AMITEC projects . Are you using only PI data for the trends or is there any web service/relational data as well in the trends (I assume the tables use the other data sources you mentioned)?

I remember seeing some similar SharePoint sites with ships instead of platforms - that was a different project, right? Could you share some of these as well? It looks like you have build several of these sites and gained quite some experience in what your customers/users need to succeed.

regards,