4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2010 5:29 PM by Bryan Owen

PI Backup or "hijacking of the Vcampus ... 3rd time"

wpurrer

@ Vcampus guys ... maybe a forum for general PI - Discussion (exchange PI - Best Practice , besides development would also be a good idea...)

What can be found from osisoft ?

=> PI Server backups with Symantec Backup Exec (for 3.4.370.76 to 3.4.375)   (http://techsupport.osisoft.com/techsupport/NonTemplates/Download%20Center/DownloadCenter.aspx?download_file=dbc19d32-20df-46fc-903a-d73fa150cb4c)

=> And the backup chapter (Back up the PI Server) inside the PI -server  System management guide

My preferred strategie would be to use standard tools like "Windows Server Backup" and no need for special PI - Backup solutions...

(similar like with symantec backup... but with the windows default tool)

What is your PI - Backup strategie ?

Has Osisoft any plans to provide this ?  (Or an knowledge article about PI - Backup and Restore with 3.380 and Windows Server Backup)

• Re: PI Backup or "hijacking of the Vcampus ... 3rd time"
          mmiller

Wolfgang Purrer

@ Vcampus guys ... maybe a forum for general PI - Discussion (exchange PI - Best Practice , besides development would also be a good idea...)
          I would like to discuss this issue more with you in person.  In our grand vision of OSI communities we foresee a need for a user community which it seems would be ideal for these types of important topics.  We also have not resolved how to integrate community discussions with technical support cases. which are different paradigms being handled in different ways, which is why we have suggested following the Tech Support process for issues like these.  We'll make sure your comments are forwarded to the Product Manager and try to facilitate a conversation at the UC.  We were excited to see you will be attending the UC this year, I will look forward to meeting you there and having the discussions.

wpurrer

Yes  I will attend the UC.  (Details will you get per mail in the next days...)

Is it really such a big deal to have a TechSupport forum where our SSO profiles can be used in addition to vCampus.  Flip side, any TechSupport forum  users would have to have a paid up subscription to vCampus to use the forum/downloads.

Therefore any client of OSI that already has a SSO can use TechSupport forum (no additional charge!!!), vCampus comes at a premium.  Clear 'Terms Of Use' for the TechSupport forum that states it is not a 24 x 7 utility for resolution of issues, regular TechSupport channels should be followed especially to honour the support contracts in place.  Set up a nice TechSupport team, as good as the guys on here, to monitor the TS forum, job done.

On the forum I host (shameless plugged ), it is free and there are lots of posts that would be perfect for an OSI TS forum.  It works and so would an official OSI one....but it needs to be free/no additional cost.

@Wolfgang, I must buy you a beer at the UC and discuss how I can stop hijacking your threads.

Bryan Owen

Backup is just one of many manageability aspects.  There is at least an indirect overlap with a change management infrastructure.

Ideally developers would consider design and implementation with some normal expectations related to deployment and ongoing management. 

One approach is to leverage a high degree of automation as systems become more integrated and complex.  It's likely a lot of foundation is needed to really do the job, for instance every application should expose online and offline integrity methods. 

So does this kind of question have a place on vCampus...I think so.