1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 16, 2010 5:38 PM by TelventMDM

Resetting Event times using Wall Clock

egove

Noam Arbel

In looking at some of our scenarios, there are cases where we want to change the input adapter a bit. What we need is to have the timestamp on the point events be the wall clock (i.e. the time when the event is raised), and not the original PI time of the event (coming from the meter). We would like to have the original PI/meter time in the payload of the event. Is there a way to do that ...?

This really represents two topics: 1. resetting the time stamp of events using wall clock and 2. including a timestamp in an event payload.

I'm not clear on the "use cases" or scenarios requiring automatic modification of time stamps nor maintaining time stamps w/in the event's payload. At present, I am inclined to address this later.

• Re: Resetting Event times using Wall Clock
          TelventMDM

Erwin,

The use case is very simple, and unless fixed, will make using SIS very hard for us.

Say you have 1M meters connected to the system, and a snow/ice storm hits (yes, I know you are in CA and never heard of such a thing :)). 100K meters all report a power outage. Due to the large number of meters reporting the problem, it may take the communication infrastructure 30 minutes to send this data in. But I would like to process the data as it flows in.

So I need to "pump" the system with CTIs.

But the timestamps on all the events is the same (they all suffered the outage at the exact same second). So I cannot send in any CTIs until I am sure all events got in, or some will get rejected. So maybe I wait an hour before I send in my CTI, to pump all the events out of SIS.

But wait, grandma is sitting in the dark, waiting for the utility to fix the power, but we are still waiting for a CTI.

This is all solved if we allow each event to be a point event, with its time set to DateTime.Now(), and having the original timestamp in the payload. We can set the CTIs to fire on every event, providing with a very responsive systems. We can then send these events to a appropriate systems to process.

Thanks.