32 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2010 11:10 PM by cescamilla

New version of the "vCampus PI Products Kit" available!

We are very pleased to announce that a new version of the vCampus PI Products Kit (a DVD image) is available on the vCampus Download Center! It contains all the PI products you need to set up your personal development PI System. Please make sure you read the release notes (it also launches when you load the DVD) to get more information on the products contained in the kit and installation instructions.

It also contains additional information on generating your PI Server License File, to activate your PI System for the duration of your membership. Instructions are also provided at the top of the vCampus Download Center. Hint: see the "Link to MLA" hyperlink in the top-right corner.

You will also notice that most of the other downloads disappeared from the Download Center as they were rolled into that kit - allowing you and new members to download everything at once. Between now and the next release of the kit, we will be placing temporary downloads on the Download Center whenever new versions of our products are released. There's already one other major product on the Download Center, because it didn't make its way to the new kit: PI OPC DA/HDA Server 2010.

I'd also like to remphasize that we made the Release Candidate (RC) version of PI Server 2010 and AF 2010 - see in the "Pre-Release" area of the vCampus Download Center and read this announcement for more information.

• Re: New version of the "vCampus PI Products Kit" available!
          TelventMDM

This is a real good way of distribution, but ...

Download speed is pathetic (less than 30KB/s), and the download takes about 12 hours.

Sorry to read this... I forwarded this to our IT folks so that they have a look into the issue. Hopefully they'll be able to fix this in the best delays. Sorry for the inconvenience...

Not sure what's going on on your end, because I'm currently experiencing pretty good download speeds (1.3 MB/sec). Plus, I'm doing it over a hotel WiFi connection (at the hotel where we are holding the Users Conference this week )

You might want to try and restart the download... Have you tried from a different computer?

It may be that you are hitting one of the mirrored servers and I'm hitting the other one... I forwarded this to our IT folks anyways, they'll figure out what's going wrong if anything.

cescamilla

I get a maximum of 60KB/s, average of 50KB/s and about 5.1 hours total download time over a 4mbps rated connection.

I usually get 450KB/s on any other download if I can do multiple connections at te same time.

This might have more to do with the way the internet routing works rather than the speed of the servers

MichaelvdV@Atos

Thanks OSIsoft. This kit is really usefull!

I want to make a 'feature request' for the next release:

Would it be possible to include the 'PI OLEDB COM Connector' in a future release? We already have the PI-to-PI connector now.

Why this request? We are working with the OLEDB COM connector on a project now, but I have a feeling you can do really neat stuff with it (in combination with SQL server for instance). Is this something that could be discussed?

cescamilla

Michael,

I'm sorry but it is not available on vCampus and the long term plans do not look so good for the COM Connectors (I'm pretty sure that the team has great comments on this) but if you really really need this you can contact your sales representative!

I hope this helps you out.

MichaelvdV@Atos

Christobal,

What do you mean that the long term plans don't look so good? Will they be phased out?

On my current project we are working with the OLEDB COM connector, and I was just wondering about what kind of cool stuff you would be able to do with it (using SQL server and .NET).

cescamilla

The general idea is to keep away from COM Connectors, they may still be supported (we are known for keeping support for our products) but it may go into a "maintainance only" mode, which really means that there are (and will be) better technologies with more functionality.

I'm not 100% possitive right now, but that is the general idea, I'll seek out help from a PM on this topic to give you more information!

mwatson

Hi Noam, I participate on a team that supports the technology of this website on behalf of the vCampus Support team.  You reported that the download of the vCampus PI Products Kit is extremely slow (30KB/sec).  We tested the download from two different regions in the United States on multiple days this week and we don't have the same download experience you are having.

I have a couple of questions..

• Where are you located?
                                        • If you remember, what was the date and time when you tried to download the file?
                                        • What browser are you using? (e.g, IE 7.0, IE 8.0?)
                                        • When you download the file, were you downloading from home using a broadband connection or work? 

Can you try the download again and see if your download speed improves?  Let us know how it goes...

jlakumb

Cristobal is correct that the current architecture of COM Connectors is under re-evaluation.  This technology is really a double-edged sword.  While it can help to access data from external sources, they can cause a significant performance impact on the PI Server.  There are other technical limitations (e.g. OLEDB COM Connector is single-threaded) which further exacerbates this issue.

COM Connectors can be used for a small number of tags, and for fast queries with a small amount of data.  However, when used excessively (1000's of tags) or for expensive queries (e.g. months of historical data), you may run into limitations.  In that case you may want to use a separate PI Server for COM Connector tags.  Note, this is intended as general guidance, and you should contact Tech Support for specific questions.

That said, we plan to: 1) in the short term benchmark the performance/scalability of current COM Connector behavior so we can share quantitative data with customers, and 2) consider redesigning the OLEDB COM Connector to increase performance/scalability in the long term.

In the meantime, we would recommend using a corresponding PI Interface (if available) instead of COM Connector.  Of course OLEDB COM Connector is used as a workaround for future data (storing this data in RDBMS), so this may not apply.  The good news is that we are working on Future Data support in the next major release of PI Server (see my reply to your other post [DEAD LINK] here).

Regards,

Jay Lakumb

PM, PI Server

MichaelvdV@Atos

Jay (and again Cristobal),

Thanks for the explanation. I think it's a good thing that the COM connectors (I only have experience with the OLEDB COM connector) are under re-evaluation. Altough the idea of such a product is very good, I'm having second thoughts about their usability for lager scale projects (like you mentioned).

For example: the OLEDB COM connector seriously lacks functionality and performance. I would very much be in support of a redesign/redevelopment of the PI OLEDB COM connector. The basic thought behind the COM connector provides ultimate flexibility IMO. The concept of having PI point data mapped to an external (relational) datasource is something that adds a lot of flexibility to the PI system.

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but would it be an idea to provide an improved OLEDB COM connector for PI while 'waiting' for the Future Data support in the PI system? I can imagine that releasing a COM connector is far less effort than releasing a major PI release. In this way, customers can already implement future data in a transparant way, and discover the added value of such functionality (on a larger scale). This will give OSIsoft some room to breath to perfect the native Future Data support in the PI Enterprise Server.

I can imagine this maybe is put to simple, but I'm just giving some thoughts here

mwatson

Noam, thanks for the information.  Let me do some research and I will get back to you...it may be a day or two.

I'm glad to hear that the speed improved on the second try.

-Mike

Michael @ Atos Origin

The concept of having PI point data mapped to an external (relational) datasource is something that adds a lot of flexibility to the PI system
                                                    Absolutely! And that's why the concept of Data References in AF

jlakumb

I'd like to respond to a couple of Michael's comments...

Michael @ Atos Origin

For example: the OLEDB COM connector seriously lacks functionality and performance.
                                                      We have identified the following goals for the rewrite of the OLEDB COM Connector:

- redesign using shared libraries out of our SQL products (PI OLEDB, PI SQL DAS, etc.)
                                                      - redo multithreading and fix issues where COM Connector blocks other tags
                                                      - fix support for placeholders
                                                      - increase performance by introducing different concepts such as grouping queries and caching

Is there other functionality you think we should consider?

Michael @ Atos Origin

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but would it be an idea to provide an improved OLEDB COM connector for PI while 'waiting' for the Future Data support in the PI system?
                                                      I agree, and thanks for the suggestion.  It helps to know that OLEDB COM Connector can be used as a stopgap until we provide Future Data support in PI Server.

I wonder if others feel the same?

MichaelvdV@Atos

Jay Lakumb

- redesign using shared libraries out of our SQL products (PI OLEDB, PI SQL DAS, etc.)
                                                          - redo multithreading and fix issues where COM Connector blocks other tags
                                                          - fix support for placeholders
                                                          - increase performance by introducing different concepts such as grouping queries and caching

Is there other functionality you think we should consider?

Yes there are:

• Update of events. The current PI OLEDB COM Connector does not support updating events, only inserting them.
                                                          • Deletion of events. This is not supported in the current OLEDB COM Connector
                                                          • Using Digital State values on non-digital state tags. This is specially for SYSTEM digital states. I can't write a no_data event now using the COM connector.
                                                          • Support for annotations. The current PI OLEDB COM connector does not support annotations. This is a very big loss in a lot of situations.

To clarify: In my current project we are working with the COM connector using SQL server. In light of the COM connector performance and lack of functionality (stated above) we end up building our own data access component which dispatches the read, write, delete and update events based on the pointclass of the tag (pointclasses defined as 'com connector' tags are written directly into SQL server, others using the PISDK/PIOLEDB). This works, but it nullifies a lot of the functionality of the PISDK. At this point, we only use the COM connector for PI clients like ProcessBook or DataLink. Even for AF we have to use our custom data access component (because of functionality issues and performance).

I had another idea, but I don't know how commercially viable this is for OSIsoft:

What if OSIsoft provides a basic COM connector, which uses .NET Plugins to communicate to the datasource. This would mean that OSIsoft provides 1 or 2 plugins for communicating with OLEDB data sources, but the customer (us) has the possibility to design and implement their own plugin. This plugin would then have to be registered with the COM connector, and used to dispatch the operations.

A plugin could look like:

public class SQLCOnnector: IComConnectorPlugin
                                                          {
                                                           public void PutValue(COMConnectorValue value)
                                                           {
                                                            //Do something with value, for instance write it to a datasource (RDBMS, textfile, whatever)
                                                            //COMConnectorValue has attributes for:
                                                            //Timestamp
                                                            //Value
                                                            //TagName / PointID
                                                            //Method to get point attributes
                                                           }

public COMConnectorValue GetArcValue(...);

public COMConnectorValue[] GetArcValues(...);

public void DeleteValue(...)

public void UpdateValue(...)

}