7 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2010 7:48 PM by ccoen

How to create Interface page for your PI Interface

formerpigeek

Hi

I would like to know how I can create my own Interface Page for the Interface that i will be developing using UniInt?

Can someone please point to the references in user manuals or in OSISoft website.

Thanks & Regards

Kavita

• Re: How to create Interface page for your PI Interface
          Asle Frantzen

Hi Kavita

So would I. But as far as I know, UniInt is not available for anyone outside OSIsoft to use.

I actually have a weather station I'd like to write a UniInt based interface for, but it seems I need to just write my own Windows service, using PI-SDK or PIOLEDB to input the data to the PI Server.

ccoen

Hello Kavita and Asle,

Let me address both of your questions and if I may, ask a few back to you.

Firstly, UniInt, also known as Universal Interface, is the technology we have built our PI Interfaces upon.  We consider that our own intellectual property and we do not give this out through the vCampus license.  In fact, we have rarely ever given it to third parties.  Most interfaces developed outside OSIsoft rely on one of our data access methods, like the PI SDK or PI OLEDB, to write the data to PI.

Kavita Enner

I would like to know how I can create my own Interface Page for the Interface that i will be developing using UniInt? Can someone please point to the references in user manuals or in OSISoft website.

Kavita, the main method for vCampus partners to get their product recognized by OSIsoft is to go through the process of getting a unique identifier for your application.  This gets your application recognized by the PI Server and gets your application listed in our third-party applications list.  To obtain this unique id (GUID), please contact GUIDCentral@osisoft.com.  I'm not sure what you mean by creating your own Interface Page.  Can you explain further?

What external data source are you trying to get data from to write into PI? It would be good if you knew we were planning on writing a PI Interface to this in the near future.

Asle Frantzen @ Amitec

I actually have a weather station I'd like to write a UniInt based interface for, but it seems I need to just write my own Windows service, using PI-SDK or PIOLEDB to input the data to the PI Server.

Asle, Which weather system are you trying to interface to?  I'm guessing that you may already know that we have a couple of PI Interfaces to weather stations.  I went to the Interfaces site on our techsupport website and typed "weather" into the search box.  I can see that we can already interface to a few weather stations there.  And in fact, one of the weather stations can be interfaced to using the Modbus Interface while the others have other PI Interfaces.  Just wanted to alert you in case we already had a product that accomplished what you were trying to do.

Asle Frantzen

Chris Coen

Asle, Which weather system are you trying to interface to?  I'm guessing that you may already know that we have a couple of PI Interfaces to weather stations.  I went to the Interfaces site on our techsupport website and typed "weather" into the search box.  I can see that we can already interface to a few weather stations there.  And in fact, one of the weather stations can be interfaced to using the Modbus Interface while the others have other PI Interfaces.  Just wanted to alert you in case we already had a product that accomplished what you were trying to do.

Hi Chris

Yes, I know. We already have the Davis weather station (at least two temp. sensors and a wind sensor) here at Amitec, both for convenience and for realtime demonstrational purposes. The one I've bought is made by the generic electronics manufacturer FOSHK and is distributed in many countries, under different brands. If you look at http://proweatherstation.com/ you'll see what's included, and at 160 USD I believe this is the most affordable (pro) weather station out there.

The reason for wanting to write an interface for this is to add value for the PI community, get programming experience, and also to get data into PI to use for demo-ing.

ccoen

Hi Asle,

Sounds like a good project for you to learn from and to offer the community.  Be sure to seek out a GUID if you would like to offer this to the wider PI community.  And as always, post your questions to the forums when you need guidance.

Regards,
                      Chris

formerpigeek

Hi Chris & Asle

Thank you for your responses.

To answer your question -  we are planning to develop IEC60870-5-104 interface. Currently the only way that i could see it can be achieved is by using TMW SCADA Gateway interface. But here there looks to be extra translation effort of converting data into OPC DA format. This we would like to avoid.

On getting GUID, I would like to know whether there is any cost involved.

Interface page - PI ICU will have Interface Page where each interface can have there own set of configuration parameters. i wanted to know how we can develop this page so that ICU can recognize it. I guess this question does not matter now since UniInt framework is not available.

Regards

Kavita

Bannikov

Hello!

We also using SCADA Data Gateway to collect data from IEC60870-5-104 sources. 

About custom ICU page. As far as I know, UniInt is proprietary technology of OSIsoft, this includes also ICU customization. So currently it's no way to develop third-party interface with ICU module -- only reverse engineering can help, but this is license violation. All what you can do - make command line of your interface compatible with UniInt specification (it's open) -- then you can at least use standard features of ICU (scan class and other stuff)

ccoen

Hi Kavita,

Kavita Enner

we are planning to develop IEC60870-5-104 interface. Currently the only way that i could see it can be achieved is by using TMW SCADA Gateway interface. But here there looks to be extra translation effort of converting data into OPC DA format. This we would like to avoid.

We recommend customers use the gateway recommended on our tech support site.  If you go to the Interfaces search page and type in 60870 you will see that recommendation.  I have not heard of complaints that the OPC layer causes any particular issues for other customers.  If your concern is performance, would you mind sharing how many tags or what data rate you expect?

One other thing to consider is that some systems that suppor IEC60870-5-104 may also support the DNP3 standard.  They both derived from an earlier form of the 60870-5 standard.  If so, we do have a native PI DNP 3 Interface that you could use off the shelf.

Kavita Enner

On getting GUID, I would like to know whether there is any cost involved.

The good news for you about getting a GUID is that it is free!  There is no cost to you.  Go ahead and email GUIDcentral@osisoft.com when you are ready and they will help you out.