36 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2010 10:35 PM by Ahmad Fattahi

Creating the agenda (a.k.a call for papers!)

As Matt pointed out in his blog post, the OSIsoft vCampus Live! 2010 event is coming fast (week of September 13th)... While the preparation is well underway on our end (as far as logistics), we need to craft the agenda and the content together, as a community.

So let's engage the dialogue here and tell us what you want to get out of that event:
        - What do you want or need to hear about?
        - Are you interested in presenting something? Some cool application or project you worked on which you'd like to share

Essentially, what is it that you need at that event, to put it in the "I must go" category and make an easy choice for your organization or your boss ;)

As Matt alluded to, we think it might be good to take an approach where we cover technical or business challenges (and tackle the details) as opposed to just talk about products and features. How does that sound?

P.S. make sure you subscribe to the RSS feed for the vCampus Live! blog and follow the Twitter account for the event, to stay up to speed with the progress!

• Re: Creating the agenda (a.k.a call for papers!)
          Lonnie Bowling

Hi Steve (and Matt),

I (and other in my company) have been very focused on using silverlight with PI.  Anything in that area will get our attention.

I would love to present something on the subject, there are a lot of areas that could be covered and we are doing work on, like:

Silverlight vs. other options (what is silverlight and what can it do)

Writing custom web services (WCF) or even WCF RIA web service with PI/AN/AF SDKs

Creating custom controls that attach to PI

Creating a good naviation system

Creating a trend control

Silverlight + Notifcations, creating a custom grid control with filtering

Anyway, those are some thoughts. Let me know what you think.

Also, things like HA and distributed systems + best practrices are high on the list.  For me and the other developers, technical details on how to do things will be the most important.

Lonnie

MichaelvdV@Atos

I would like to present one of the following:

PI / WCF / Silverlight. Showing how we can use PI, combined with WCF and PI WebServices to create bussiness applications in Silverlight. I would also like to present a 'concept' Silverlight framework which makes application development more easy (called PINexus). This can also be the gateway to PI applications living in the cloud (Windows Azure).

OData/REST. Show how to build an OData and WCF REST service using PI data. This can be done using PISDK or LinqToPi.

Asle Frantzen

Steve - as we briefly discussed:

We have an ongoing project where one of the goals is to get the tag structure in PI / AF from the customers factory maintenance system, which is the tag master system. I think we'll get some very useful experiences from this project, and I can probably do a piece on that - thus covering the category 'experiences from real life projects'.

mmiller

Guys these are great ideas!!  How about we start pulling these ideas together as abstracts?  I like the format Michael did, maybe we use his lead as a template?

MichaelvdV@Atos

I based the format on the Pycon 2010 presentation proposal format. Maybe we should also add some 'prerequisites' ?

Wow, thanks for the quick and positive responses! It's great to see people who are ready to collaborate to craft an event that's useful to a whole community

And I agree with Matt's comment about Michael's abstract... getting the abstracts like this is this is a great way to get going and start discussing/adapting these.

@Asle Frantzen: I think it would be great to have a talk based on your PI/AF/Maintenance project - most particularly the "how" you did it, the lessons learned and best practices derived from that. As Matt pointed out, we would like to suggest we drive this event from a "technical/business challenges" standpoint rather than a pure product/feature-based agenda (although we need some of course...). This talk would probably fall under some "Asset Management and Integration" category, right?

@Lonnie Bowling: well this is good news for Michael @ Atos Origin: there's another Silverlight/WCF enthusiast in the group! Just like Michael, I believe that not a lot of people here did Silverlight/WCF stuff, so it wouldn't be bad to expose the community to the advantages these (relatively) new technologies present.

I like the idea of having a basic and an intermediate session on Silverlight - maybe one of those could even be under the form of an Extreme Code Review (e.g. using PI SDK vs. PI Web Services in a Silverlight web application)? (see this thread to discuss the idea of Extreme Code Reviews).

Also, I'd be curious to hear more about your "Creating a good navigation system" idea - is this something you can elaborate on?

@Michael @ Atos Origin: Thanks for leading the way with your abstract - I think both the format and the session you are suggesting are great! The other topic I would really like to see something on is OData and REST in general - I'll talk about this internally (I know we have some big fans of OData!) and get back to you on this.

For those who are not familiar with the Open Data Protocol (OData), I suggest you take a quick look at this blog post of mine, and the few videos I suggested in there - this could be a major player in the 'Data Access' world in the future (could be, we need to see...).

Keep the ideas (and abstracts) coming and spread the good news: the discussion has begun! We need to get as many ideas as possible and make it your must-go event of the year.

MichaelvdV@Atos

Slowly but steadily there seems to be more interest in .NET 4.0 features, specially the improved COM interop and dynamic programming.

I was wondering if there where any talks planned on this subject, and if there is any interest in such talks.

Asle Frantzen

Steve Pilon

@Asle Frantzen: I think it would be great to have a talk based on your PI/AF/Maintenance project - most particularly the "how" you did it, the lessons learned and best practices derived from that. As Matt pointed out, we would like to suggest we drive this event from a "technical/business challenges" standpoint rather than a pure product/feature-based agenda (although we need some of course...). This talk would probably fall under some "Asset Management and Integration" category, right?

"Asset Management and Integration" sounds like a good description for this.

Lonnie Bowling

[View:/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.49.71.Silverlight/LBowling-Abstract-_2D00_-vCampus-Live.zip]

Hi Steve,Matt and the rest of the gang!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get something together.  Attached is what I think would be a good intro to getting started with Silverlight/PI and at the same time providing something that a person could further develop.  If this is already being covered or you would like something else I would be happy to revise.

Steve:  About navigation, here at my company we have developed a standard way to design applications that support browsers back/fwd buttons and keeps things organized.   One of the challenges when starting to program with silverlight  is that you start with a blank slate and have to make some design decisions about how to structure your application.  I found this to be challenging when starting out because everything is so new and somewhat moer complex than the monolithic windows applications.  In fact I'm still working on this.  It is more of an intermediate/advanced subject.

Lonnie

PS: I'm not sure if the zip file is showing up, if not let me know and I can email it to you.

MichaelvdV@Atos

Lonnie,

Since our proposals have a lot in common (in my humble opinion) we should:

1) Communicate with eachother if there are 2 SL/WCF proposals accepted by OSIsoft, so our presentations don't overlap. It would be even better if we can complement each others presentations

2) Maybe think about doing a joined presentation? It could be we have a lot to learn from eachother, and can bring an even more educating/entertaining presentation to vCampus Live if we bundle forces .

Next to that, it would be nice to not only see communication with a custom WCF Service, but also with PI WebServices, since this is a standard (WCF) WebService OSIsoft provides.

Lonnie Bowling

Hi Michael,

I'm open to either option.  I think that the subject is certainly big enough that we could complement each other, I guess it depends on what OSIsoft would like to see on the subject, maybe some feedback from Steve or Matt could help us.

It would be a lot fun to join forces and see what we can come up with, although it might be tough to do a walkthrough like I was thinking in the time we have with two of us, but maybe some other format, like a demo with quick peaks under the hood, or maybe more time   I totally agree it would be nice to tie in PI WebService, but I have not had a chance to work with it and everything I have done to this point is using my custom services, but I'm sure there is time to get something working and I had kinda planned on trying to give it a shot anyway.

My main focus is to try and demonstrate how to get started using silverlight with PI.  For me that is a good level to speak at, as it should have a big appeal and is something I feel I could take on.  I picked charting, but there are other areas I have been working on, notifications is the biggest.

Anyway, if we could get some input from OSI that might help us figure out which way to go and we can get started on either option.

Lonnie

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions and your eagerness to get a good agenda for this event! We kind of let the discussion go within the community for a while, but now that the registration website is live (yes, people started registering!) and we started to send announcements, we need to propose a first agenda very shortly... and here is some feedback (we'll also be getting in touch with some of you guys in private, as we finalize the agenda):

@François Ruel: - you'll definitely be served with StreamInsight content this year 
                                                                  - have you made any progress on this AF SDK application to build models based on historical data?

@Gretchen: as Matt pointed out, we are indeed planning to have some Microsofties present about Complex Event Processing (CEP) with StreamInsight

@Yannick Galipeau: see my first comment to François

@Asle Frantzen: Your AF project is definitely still on the list!

@Rhys @ RJK Solutions: there's a very high likelihood of having some Silverlight and some "click once, do more" stuff, if you know what I mean

@Lonnie Bowling:  thanks for submitting this presentation abstract!  Oh, and "HA and distributed systems + best practices" ?  Sold!

@Michael @ Atos Origin: I told you you'd be happy to find another Silverlight/WCF enthusiast on the community (re: Lonnie)

@Michael @ Atos Origin   &  Lonnie Bowling: we indeed owe you some feedback on what we think would be good for talks on these big and important topics (Silverlight, PI Web Services, WCF, custom web parts, OData, etc....)  The good news is, I really think we'll be able to something nice for the attendees of the event. We'll connect with you shortly to see how can best do this.
                                          Lonnie: any chance you can try and make use of PI Web Services in your custom web part? The product is pretty straightforward to use and the port should be relatively painless - that would be a great story how to create a dashboard using all these web-oriented technologies (PI Web Services, PI WebParts, Silverlight, WFC)

@Ahmad: remember how we positioned this event as "solving business/technology challenges"? How about addressing the "Integration of PI with Third-Party Analytics" challenge with some MATLAB content?

With all your feedback and the suggested talks, that leaves us with 1 or 2 possible spots for additional user/partner talks - anybody? Anyone did something great with .NET ProcessBook add-ins or some nice project with our SQL tools?

Lonnie Bowling

Hi Steve,

I'm pretty sure I can tie in PI Web Services from what I read in the documentation.  I will get started working with it and let you know how it goes.  Thanks for getting back to us and I look forward to hearing more as this comes together.

Lonnie

Ahmad Fattahi

Steve Pilon

@Ahmad: remember how we positioned this event as "solving business/technology challenges"? How about addressing the "Integration of PI with Third-Party Analytics" challenge with some MATLAB content?

Steve,

That is exactly aligned with what I have in mind which is awesome. I would like to invite everyone to pour in ideas on how we can leverage PI to model and solve business problems. Linking PI with MATLAB, at the same time, gives us an enormous power to optimize and/or predict business practices. I will keep talking to internal people on business integration and intelligence ideas but community feedback always gives the best result!

cjrancur

I'm very interested in the Matlab/PI integration.  But, at this point, I'm not suggesting that I'll do a paper.  My ideas are just ideas, not tested in practice yet. I do integrate PI and Matlab already in a minimalist manner.  I only use offline data collection with datalink to excel, and excel to Matlab.  Realtime links with OLEdB or ODBC from PI to Matlab are interesting.  I will consider making a control module in Matlab, sending data back to PI, and sending outputs from PI OPC interfaces to DCS or PLC setpoints for control loop supervisory controls.  The tradeoff, as DCS's become more advanced and capable of high powered processing beyond PID loops, is whether a PI/Matlab platform is needed to do optimization, or whether a PI/DCS, with offline Matlab simulation and development is the preferred platform relative to a PI/DCS platform.  The tradeoffs are in controller redundancy, technician training, and implementation of some things that may be too complex for a DCS to handle without outside processing and calculational power that Matlab can provide.  How much interest is there in control and manufacturing process technical problems, as opposed to business/techinal problems for the vCampus Live offerings?

Ahmad Fattahi

Thanks very much Carrie for your comprehensive and thorough feedback on the PI-MATLAB idea. For the most part I agree with your points.

On the control and process engineering side of the applications, I would imagine an initial phase of having MATLAB-PI-DCS on the side of the current DCS systems is more practical. This way engineers can monitor the reliability and efficiency of such an architecture and compare it with the existing DCS systems. As you put it, the upsides abound. For example, one can implement very sophisticated control regimens such as model predictice control (MPC), Kalman filtering, convex optimization, etc. The ease and flexibility of changing or adjusting the parameters or methods and creating simulations are other huge benefits.

PI is the language of many industries for archiving data. Therefore, I would imagine substantial interest in both industrial as well as business applications for the linkage of MATLAB and PI. My presentation proposal currently covers a business-type example. I can definitely add a more engineering-type example if there is interest. I would encourage anyone with interest in the topic to jump in and cast their ideas so we can entertain as big of a group as possible. Thanks again Carrie.

gretchen

Get someone from Microsoft to present CEP in enough detail that one knows what can be done with it.

Gretchen

MichaelvdV@Atos

gretchen

Get someone from Microsoft to present CEP in enough detail that one knows what can be done with it.

Good idea, I think the best thing would be to have it in conjunction with someone from OSIsoft, to present a practical example on how and when to use CEP/StreamInsight

mmiller

Gretchen,

Great idea.  We have a session planned for CEP we'll look into making it a joint session with Microsoft.

On the Silverlight front, I would love to have a deep dive of the re-development of PI Web Parts to Silverlight.  We have touched on this on the forums with the odd comment, but it would be nice for OSI to sit us down and say "this is how we (OSI) did it in SilverLight".

It would also be nice to see/discuss some more around Event Frames and Notificiations (e.g. getting rid of the annoying 7 tags per notification).

Oh and discuss some more on the new "click once, do more" initiative.

If I am honest, the whole Microsoft influence at the UC was a bit too much (for me anyway).  The vCampus Live! event should have as little Microsoft as OSI's partnership with them will allow.

Asle Frantzen

Rhys @ RJK Solutions

On the Silverlight front, I would love to have a deep dive of the re-development of PI Web Parts to Silverlight.  We have touched on this on the forums with the odd comment, but it would be nice for OSI to sit us down and say "this is how we (OSI) did it in SilverLight".

I totally agree with this. Over time, some of us have acquired a great deal of experience developing our own RealTime webparts, which communicates/interacts with - and even looks like the webparts from OSIsoft. With PI Webparts 2010 I feel there's a change of generations, especially with the Silverlight support. So as a webpart developer, I'll be looking forward to learn about the possibilities with the new parts, and see what options we have when it comes to reusing or adding value to the different modules which make up the PI Webparts 2010.

kilgored

Rhys @ RJK Solutions

If I am honest, the whole Microsoft influence at the UC was a bit too much (for me anyway). The vCampus Live! event should have as little Microsoft as OSI's partnership with them will allow.

I agree!

MichaelvdV@Atos

Rhys @ RJK Solutions

If I am honest, the whole Microsoft influence at the UC was a bit too much (for me anyway).

Can you give an example of this?

My only point of criticism to last years event was that the last session had a rather high 'commercial & sales' factor. Some of the parts of the session where done by Microsoft staff (joined with OSI). The rest of the event was totally technical and non-commercial/sales, so this left a bit of a negative taste (to me at least). Is this what you mean?

Kenneth.Rice

Hi everyone,

I am jumping into this conversation way late and maybe this has already been covered somewhere else.

I would have to agree with Rhys and his comment "but it would be nice for OSI to sit us down and say "this is how we (OSI) did it in SilverLight"." but I would like to broaden the comment to include a comment that my boss made in a staff meeting the other day. He said "I would like our developers/group to learn the OSI methods of "programming" etc.". It would be nice for at least a webinar or a session at the VCampus live (recorded of course, some of us cant travel anymore) directed towards, if I or anyone else were to walk into OSI today, to develop webparts or other OSI clients where would my mentor lead me.

I hope this makes sense and maybe someone can fill in some in between the lines and help make this fruitful, (if already exists, please direct me to starting point).

Thanks in advance everyone

ygalipeau

Regarding StreamInsight and CEP, it would be nice to have a real case example. i saw many talks and presentation around that, but for me, a real situation/example would be great

yannick

Ahmad Fattahi

“PI – MATLAB synergy; a powerful duo”

We have been working on ways to connect MATLAB with PI and its uses. So far we created two versions of the white paper on the topic (available in the library under White papers and tutorials > miscellaneous) with very interesting technical content and real-world examples.

The attached proposal presents ideas for a presentation on the topic which is aimed at walking the attendance through the benefits of such a connection, methods to do so, as well a number of interesting real-world examples modeled and solved by this method.

Any feedback, enhancement ideas, requests, or collaboration proposals are very much appreciated!

MichaelvdV@Atos

Regarding StreamInsight and CEP, it would be nice to have a real case example. i saw many talks and presentation around that, but for me, a real situation/example would be great

yannick

I totally agree. A real world example would be a must-have!

Ahmad

Any feedback, enhancement ideas, requests, or collaboration proposals are very much appreciated!

I haven't worked with MatLab myself, it looks pretty interesting. Are there any overlaps with PowerPivot (or using Excel in general) (or am I getting some stuff mixed up here?).

All and all, it looks interesting, and I would certainly participate in such a session!

francois_ruel

Subscription is now open, Is there a way to submit an official paper?  Should we subscribe anyway and change the attendee type later to speaker if the paper is accepted?

Thanks!

Ahmad Fattahi

Glad you liked the idea of using MATLAB and the real-world example. MATLAB is a powerful computing engine by Mathworks and is widely used by hi-tech industries and academia because of its mighty computational toolboxes.

The idea behind this proposal is very general. We would see how to perform complex analytical and computational operations on the data stored in PI using MATLAB. In particular, we have focused on some optimization-based BI examples which ties this to your idea of Powerpivot. In more general terms, we could see some other real-world examples such as low-pass filtering data (or removing jitter), curve-fitting, estimation and extrapolation, pattern recognition, and much more. Please let us know if any of the above also appeals to you. Thanks for your feedback!

francois_ruel

Hi!

First, don't forget to build the schedule a way we always have choice between Application/Technologies and code review.

Code review is good way you have something precise in mind.  Technologies keynote and preview opens mind on new project and potential solutions.

Talking about application, I'm build an application that use a AF SDK and a seperate .NET to build models based on historical data.  Those models are used as KPI at different levels (quality, energy, process stability).  The app. Load data, crunch it and program back the model.

I will build a demo soon and propose it if you are interested in this kind of demo.

Thanks!

Francois