19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2010 6:17 AM by MichaelvdV@Atos

Technology Roundtables (or not?)

As you might have read in Matt's blog post, one of the questions we have for the OSIsoft vCampus Live! 2010 event (week of September 13th) is regarding the concept Technology Roundtables. In a nutshell, those are time slots where we have topic- or product-specific tables, giving you the opportunity to meet the OSIsoft developers and product managers of your favourite product. No need to go through tech support and X levels of escalation… you know where and when to find them, and can hear the questions and comments that your peers have too.

We held these last year at OSIsoft vCampus Live! 2009 and we would like to hear whether you would like to have those again… we'd like to engage the dialogue here, on things like
        - How many of these sessions you'd like to have
        - For how long?
        - When exactly? At breakfast and/or lunch and/or dinner time? During the breaks (maybe longer breaks?)

Just tell us!

P.S. make sure you subscribe to the RSS feed for the vCampus Live! blog and follow the Twitter account for the event, to stay up to speed  with the progress

• Re: Technology Roundtables (or not?)
          MichaelvdV@Atos

I like the idea of having Technology roundtables. It gives you the opportunity to discuss subjects presented in a session in more depth and more personal. I had a great time getting to know OSIsoft staff and fellow vCampus members, and the discussions where very helpfull and enlightening.

I would also like to point out the following format, it's called Open Space.

How I see it at vCampus Live: there are timeslots and rooms available for open-space meetings. These can occur during breaks. These meetings have no fixed format or subject. In a central area (maybe at the desk/entrance to the grand ballroom) there's a whiteboard, where people can write down subjects they want to discuss. People can enter in own subjects, and / or vote for other subjects. When the timeslot starts, the subject with the most votes gets the timeslot. These can be multiple sessions at once (in different rooms). People are free to roam the sessions, and walk in and out as they like. The sessions could be discussions, talks, chalk sessions, presentations, coop programming, etc. So, people can come up with topics 'on the fly' or maybe prepare a presentation/talk (at home) and hope that other people vote for it. These sessions should also be visited by (relevant) OSIsoft staff to provide input.

If you have the time, please check it out! I have done it a couple of times, and I think it's a really great way to collaborate. Subjects and meeting-formats are created on-demand.

lkeefe

The Open Space forum is an excellent idea...especially having people propose topics on the fly as the conference proceeds.  Tracking these topics could also be useful to those of us at OSIsoft as a tool for gauging what topics are of interest to the people in attendance.  Probably more effective than most after-the-fact surveys...

MichaelvdV@Atos

Laurence Keefe

The Open Space forum is an excellent idea...

Nice to hear this idea gets good responses. @Matt & Steve: is this something you could possibly implement in the event?

mmiller

I love the idea!!  We need to think through the logistics, but I also think we should absolutely move on this and make it happen.  We were thinking about doing Technology Rroundtables Tuesday morning for a 1-2 hours.  Which works well for having plenty of time to get the feddback and prep.  What happens if someone erases the white board?

MichaelvdV@Atos

Matthew R Miller

What happens if someone erases the white board?

We collectively drag that person to the stage, where he has to sing his national anthem while eating dry bisquits and writing an PISDK application?

Seriously though: I don't think that something like that will happen (we are all professionals!), but we can hang some sort of sign with it (maybe with above message as a warning).

Michael @ Atos Origin

We collectively drag that person to the stage, where he has to sing his national anthem while eating dry bisquits and writing an PISDK application?

This has got to be hung on the whitebaord as a warning!

mmiller

How does this sound???

Those person or persons involved in the removal of content from this low-tech collaborative environment will be subject to public display of nationalism, while simultaneously consuming dry goods and providing development services to a community project of their choice. (singing their national anthem, eating cookies while writing SDK code)

Maybe I have spent too much time with legal...

Asle Frantzen

Don't worry, you're not alone. I especially like this one - it's a software licening model called BeerWare:

The following Beerware is licensed on a free basis:*

-Product 1
                                      -Product 2
                                      -etc...

* subject to a non-binding obligation on the Licensee (or their representative) to buy a beer for
                                      a representative of the Licensor at any trade conference at which the Licensee (or their
                                      representative) and the Licensor's representative are both present, provided, however, that
                                      the Licensee (or their representative) should not attempt to purchase a beer where to do so
                                      would be unlawful in the relevant jurisdiction.

MichaelvdV@Atos

Matthew R Miller

How does this sound???

Those person or persons involved in the removal of content from this low-tech collaborative environment will be subject to public display of nationalism, while simultaneously consuming dry goods and providing development services to a community project of their choice. (singing their national anthem, eating cookies while writing SDK code)

Awesome! Let's do that!

Matthew R Miller

Maybe I have spent too much time with legal...

Hmm... US Law... What if we just let users sign a consent form when they enter, waiving all rights to sue vCampus and OSIsoft?

This has got to be hung on the whitebaord as a warning!

Seriously though: Maybe we should put up a sign like that

I especially like this one - it's a software licening model called BeerWare:

Well, I like both the idea's of someone singing while eating and writing PISDK code, as well as getting free beers. Maybe we should put that in an addendum.

Asle Frantzen

I only participated in the first round of the tech. roundtables last year, and I found myself wandering around trying to determine which table to squeeze in at. I believe some of the issues were fixed in the second session, but then it was "hidden" (i.e. not in one of the main rooms) and we actually forgot about it and started chatting with different people in the registration area.

I will mention it though - too many people, too little space around the tables, too much noise to hear what others were saying, total lack of microphones. And for my own sake, I didn't really find a table that was a "must" for me. Maybe the AF table, but that was so over-crowded that there was no point in trying to squeeze in.

I would like to see time being reserved for these things. People like their breaks in between sessions, and especially if there's food available :)

Børre Heggernes

I went to the Processbook roundtable last year. I agree with what Asle says, and in addition I found the table was "taken over" by one person seeking a response to his exact, little problem.

So my issue is with time mgmt in these settings. How do you stop "expensive, long running queries"?

hanyong

I like the idea for Open Space Meeting. Sure seems something interesting to see when everyone gets together and generate the ideas of what they want to see or talk about.

@Asle, Borre: Set aside the challenges and problems that showed up in the previous year? Am I right to say that you still like the idea of having the roundtable? These are definitely good feedback that we can use to improve on.

MichaelvdV@Atos

Børre Heggernes @ Amitec

I agree with what Asle says, and in addition I found the table was "taken over" by one person seeking a response to his exact, little problem.

I also experienced the same. Maybe we can set one basic ground rule: "Technolgy roundtables != techsupport" If everyone abides this rule, there doesn't has to be any moderation (which I think is a good thing)

Asle Frantzen

Michael @ Atos Origin

Technolgy roundtables != techsupport

Thumbs up!

Han Yong

@Asle, Borre: Set aside the challenges and problems that showed up in the previous year? Am I right to say that you still like the idea of having the roundtable?

Yes

andreas

Asle Frantzen @ Amitec

Michael @ Atos Origin

Technology round tables != tech support
                                            Thumbs up!
                                            Thumbs up!

We should focus on the more "philosophical" part in the Technology round tables rather than the problem focused. But admittedly this tiny specific technical problem seems so interesting that it pulls away the attention of the developer - so it is up to us to avoid that.

Michael @ Atos Origin

I would also like to point out the following format, it's called Open Space.
                                            The sessions could be discussions, talks, chalk sessions, presentations, coop programming, etc. So, people can come up with topics 'on the fly' or maybe prepare a presentation/talk (at home) and hope that other people vote for it. These sessions should also be visited by (relevant) OSIsoft staff to provide input.

This sounds interesting. From what you say you would like to make this more a community task rather than an OSIsoft task like the roundtables? Challenging for the community and very appealing .

MichaelvdV@Atos

Andreas

Asle Frantzen @ Amitec

Michael @ Atos Origin

Technology round tables != tech support
                                                Thumbs up!
                                                Thumbs up!

We should focus on the more "philosophical" part in the Technology round tables rather than the problem focused. But admittedly this tiny specific technical problem seems so interesting that it pulls away the attention of the developer - so it is up to us to avoid that.

Nice, maybe something like this could be mentioned by Steve in the opening session of the event? @Steve Pilon: what do you think?

Andreas

This sounds interesting. From what you say you would like to make this more a community task rather than an OSIsoft task like the roundtables? Challenging for the community and very appealing .

That's exactly right! It all depends on initiatives from the community, as well as OSIsoft staff. I have a feeling that (when this is promoted well), it could be very educating. For instance: if in the morning there was an very interesting session about subject X, community members can then submit a open-space meeting around that subject.

You don't need much to organize this, just 1 or 2 whiteboards, some sticky notes and an enthousiastic community!