58 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 5:06 PM by Gregor

vCampus browser support

Asle Frantzen

"Website best viewed in Microsoft IE7" is clearly stated in the bottom right of all the pages here, but how about making an effort to have a page which validates to the standards? I realize this is forum software created by some third party, but someone must have brought this up there as well

Validating the forums page using W3C.ORG's CSS validator gives 9 errors and 93 warnings. I use IE as my normal browser, and I check for design flaws in Opera and Firefox when building new pages myself - but recently I got my iPad and Safari is the only browser choice there. If you take a look at the image below, you'll see that it's pretty useless for surfing the vCampus forums

iPad_5F00_vCampus.jpg

• Re: vCampus browser support
          MichaelvdV@Atos

Well, IE7 is kind of the industry standard in our line of bussiness, so no wonder they optimized it for that. I wonder if it will still work correctly if they made it 100% compliant with the standards. This is still one of the biggest flaws in the whole IT bussiness... different HTML/CSS/Javascript standards...

I totally agree with you that it would be very nice to have the forum software work with different kinds of engines/browsers.

offtopic:

You have an iPad ? No way I'm jealous.

Asle Frantzen

Michael @ Atos Origin

You have an iPad ? No way I'm jealous.

What, you don't have one yet? What is that you say in your signature, about "steamroller" and "part of the road"?

MichaelvdV@Atos

Asle Frantzen @ Amitec

What, you don't have one yet? What is that you say in your signature, about "steamroller" and "part of the road"?

Well, I don't like the dictatorship imposed by the Apple Appstore, and more importantly: the iPad does not run Silverlight , So I'm kind of waiting/looking out for a good and affordable win7 clone!

Lonnie Bowling

Since  you brought it up

From wikipedia:

Source↓Latest report↓Internet
                    Explorer
                    ↓
                    Firefox↓Chrome↓Safari↓Opera↓
                    Net Applications April 2010 59.95% 24.59% 6.73% 4.72% 2.30%
                    W3Counter April 2010 46.9% 31.6% 8.0% 5.4% 2.1%
                    Stat Counter April 2010 53.26% 31.74% 8.06% 4.23% 1.82%
                    StatOwl[Note 1] April 2010 64.55% 21.35% 5.23% 8.12% 0.40%
                    Clicky April 2010 48.90% 32.73% 8.94% 7.81% 1.39%
                    Mean[Note 2] April 2010 54.71% 28.40% 7.39% 6.06% 1.60%
                    Median[Note 2] April 2010 53.26% 31.6% 8.0% 5.4% 1.82%

1. ^ 92% of sites monitored by StatOwl serve predominantly United States market.
                    2. ^ a b The mean is calculated once all monthly sources have latest reports that fall in the same month and the median is calculated once the central reports are updated since it is unlikely outlier reports will give the median values; in the meanwhile the previous month's mean and median are used.

So, almost 47% of browers are not supported here, and if you look at IE there are still about 7-8% using IE 6, that that puts it over 50%.  I'm sure that most of us can use IE7 or 8, but it may not be what we choose or as show above, may not be an option for the device we are using.

I use many different browser and computers, so I have no love or hate for any of them, but it is not like the old days where IE was it.  I'm willing to bet that in the next few years these numbers will even become more spread out.  Our last big job had a spec that required everything to work on Safari.

I would rather see a basic design that supported most browsers than a feature rich site that only supports on browser.

Lonnie

(now if we can only convince Apple to open up the iPhone and iPad to silverlight!)

MichaelvdV@Atos

Lonnie Bowling

So, almost 47% of browers are not supported here,

I do trust these figures, but I think the rates differ greatly for our community. We are a very Microsoft oriented community, thus I think that there will be a greater IE7 user base.

Maybe one of the admins can tell something about this? I'm sure there are server stats available?

Lonnie Bowling

I would rather see a basic design that supported most browsers than a feature rich site that only supports on browser.

On one side: I totally agree, on the other side maybe not

To quote one of the most famous philosophers:

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Commander Spock - Startrek II: The Wrath Of Kahn (1982)

Michael @ Atos Origin

I do trust these figures, but I think the rates differ greatly for our community. We are a very Microsoft oriented community, thus I think that there will be a greater IE7 user base.

Maybe one of the admins can tell something about this? I'm sure there are server stats available?

So far in May 2010:
                              IE: 79.1%
                              Firefox: 13.5%
                              Safari: 7.4%

mwatson

Hi Asle, we are limited in some areas because it is 3rd party software.  However, I did check out Safari on the new vCampus site in our test environment and it renders nicely.

-Mike

Asle Frantzen

Mike Watson

Hi Asle, we are limited in some areas because it is 3rd party software.  However, I did check out Safari on the new vCampus site in our test environment and it renders nicely.

-Mike

Wohoo, surfing-the-vCampus-forums-with-my-iPad here I come

Thanks Mike!

Daniel Takara

Mike Watson

I did check out Safari on the new vCampus site in our test environment and it renders nicely.

Nice to know that, Mike!

I recently purchased a MacBook and was not so happy when I could not load the vCampus site nicely on Safari. Since I used to run Firefox on my Windows laptop (including its nice add-on Power Twitter, which has a couple of limitations in its Safari version), I decided to install Firefox on my Mac and use it as my default browser, at least for the time being, allowing me to open the vCampus site fine.

Lonnie Bowling

IE: 79.1%
                                        Firefox: 13.5%
                                        Safari: 7.4%

This might have something to do with the fact that I close my browser of choice and open up IE when I come OSIsoft so I can access all the content.  I think the numbers would be different if there was better support for other browsers.  Most of the developers I know don't use IE as their "surfing browser".

Anyway, I'm all talked out on this, have a great weekend guys!!

Lonnie Bowling

lol, I love that quote, but it sounds like it supports my position (needs of many browsers outweigh the needs of one!).

Anyway, my real point is that the one-browser world is coming to an end (or is over if you ask me), and designing anything around IE7/8 is not a good idea, including this site.  Heck, Microsoft made sure silverlight supports all the major browsers, and it really works.

Time to see if I can squeeze in another game of Google Pac-Man!

formerpigeek

Hi All,

I'm one of the developers working on vCampus, and thought you might like to see some iPad screen shots of the new vCampus site.  Keep in mind we are still tweaking the css, and these images are not final.  The site seems to render pretty well with Safari on all platforms.  There is a limitation with the rich text editor (TinyMCE), where the iOS keyboard will not display when selecting the editing area.  The regular text box works fine, so you can still reply to posts. This is a limitation of Safari on iOS only, Windows and OS X are not effected.  My investigation of this issue on the TinyMCE forums seems to indicate that this is an Apple issue, which hopefully Apple will fix this soon.

photo-2.PNG

photo-3.PNG

photo-4.PNG

photo-6.PNG