5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2010 5:00 PM by spilon

Adding Custom application as a PI Interface node

formerpigeek
      Hi, I would like to create a custom application to acquire the data over IEC protocol. This application needs to be High Availability (HA) compatiable, to do this I would like to add my application as a PI Interface node and then use the Primary and Secondary node concept of PI System. To make the application as a PI Interface node is there a approach which needs to be followed and is there a documentation available for that approach? Thanks & Regards Kavita
        • Re: Adding Custom application as a PI Interface node
          Asle Frantzen

Hi

To make sure we're not mixing up descriptions/names here, I believe that you want to create a PI Interface. An interface node is afaik just the description of a dedicated server in which the interface is installed.

You should take a look at this thread, as this subject has been raised before:

[DEAD LINK] http://vcampus.osisoft.com/forums/p/1067/5255.aspx

MichaelvdV@Atos

Did you already have a look at the existing interfaces ?

If you consider writing your own interface, you would have to use PISDK or PIOLEDB to connect to PI (collective)

As Asle pointed out, you probably mean to create an application that behaves like one of our PI Interfaces - i.e. there is no such thing as "adding an application as an Interface node". It's essentially a matter of having the appropriate Data Access technology on that machine (e.g. PI SDK, PI OLEDB Provider, PI OPC DA/HDA Server) and then write to PI via that product. As Michael pointed out in this other thread you started, you will have to wait for PI SDK 1.4 to release, to get its Buffering (and fanning to Collective Members) feature.

At this time, you could think of using alternative methods to write data to PI in a Buffered+HA fashion:

• PI OPC DA/HDA Server + PI Buffering Subsystem
                  • PI ACE Server + PI Buffering Subsystem
                  • PI Universal File Loader (UFL) Interface + PI Buffer Subsystem
                    (in this last approach you would simply collect data and write it to files, for PI UFL to consume and write to PI)
                  • A quick search for "iec" on our Interface Search Page leads me to believe there might be other alternatives for you - is the IEC protocol you want to interface with part of the list?

Our own Interfaces use the PI API-based UniInt framework (the Universal Interface) which, as Chris already pointed out, is considered our own proprietary technology.

formerpigeek
                      Hi Steve, Yes, we would like to create a application which can be used as a PI Interface in the PI ICU. We also would like to set the Failover property of the PI Interface of this custom application. To achieve our application behave as a PI Interface do we need to take care of implementation apart from getting a GUID from OSIsoft so that the application can be used as a PI Interface and also have the Failover property enabled? The failover property requires a state synchronization file as well, so do we need to develop a application which can synchronize itself by reading a file? Thanks & Regards Kavita

Kavita Enner

we would like to create a application which can be used as a PI Interface in the PI ICU
                          As per this other discussion thread you initiated, UniInt and PI ICU are considered proprietary technology, which means third-party developer generally cannot use these technologies (and hence they are not provided nor supported on vCampus).

At this point, if you wish to engage additional discussion with regards to UniInt and ICU, I would like to respectfully invite you to contact us at vCampus@osisoft.com and will shall forward your inquiry to the appropriate people at OSIsoft. Please don't get me wrong: I am not shutting this discussion down, I am simply saying this is definitely not a discussion to have on vCampus.

Kavita Enner

The failover property requires a state synchronization file as well, so do we need to develop a application which can synchronize itself by reading a file?
                          I am not entirely sure what 'failover property' you are talking about, but if you refer to the UniInt Failover mechanisms, then please refer to my previous answer.