12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 5:59 AM by MichaelvdV@Atos

Creating vCampus (posting) guidelines

MichaelvdV@Atos

vCampus has been around for quite some time. More and more new users join us, and experience the positive effects of being part of an OSIsoft community. Personally, I see this as a very positive development.

There are a number of different subjects members ask and discuss about. Ranging from configuration questions, to complex programming and debug scenario's. Trough time, this creates a vast knowledge base of readily accessable information. The longer vCampus exists with active members, the larger this knowledge base will become.

In my opinion, it's time to set some guidelines to guide this process in creating an understandable and searchable knowledge base.

These guidelines should (in my opinion) cover topics like:

1. Clear topic title

2. No 'greetings' in every post. Maybe just in the opening post. In addition to that, we could open a 'introduction' topic, where members can introduce themselves and their company.

3. Some guidelines for asking questions, for instance: describe the issue clearly, and describe what you have done/researched to solve the issue.

4. In case you have a solution, clearly describe the solution in the topic, so other members can learn from it (and don't have to ask the same question multiple times).

5. Create a clear distinction between TechSupport questions, and vCampus questions.

6. There should be enough room for 'offtopic' and 'fun' reactions. This makes vCampus fun, and creates a community feeling. It should however be to the moderators discretion on 'how far the offtopic/fun' reactions should go.

In this topic, I would like to discuss the (potential) need for such guidelines, and I'm curious on what other members (and OSIsoft staff) would think about it. Please note that the idea of these guidelines is not to restrict, but more to guide (new users specifically).

• Re: Creating vCampus (posting) guidelines
          andreas

Michael @ Atos Origin

vCampus has been around for quite some time. More and more new users join us, and experience the positive effects of being part of an OSIsoft community. Personally, I see this as a very positive development.

Michael @ Atos Origin

In my opinion, it's time to set some guidelines to guide this process in creating an understandable and searchable knowledge base.

Michael @ Atos Origin

No 'greetings' in every post. Maybe just in the opening post.

I agree on the "no greeting in every post', but in my opinion it should be left to the author whether he wants to greet or not. This could be a cultural issue anyhow.

Michael @ Atos Origin

In addition to that, we could open a 'introduction' topic, where members can introduce themselves and their company.

I would say you have enough room for this in your profile and you should do that there - no need for an additional post.

Michael @ Atos Origin

3. Some guidelines for asking questions, for instance: describe the issue clearly, and describe what you have done/researched to solve the issue.
          4. In case you have a solution, clearly describe the solution in the topic, so other members can learn from it (and don't have to ask the same question multiple times).

Michael @ Atos Origin

Create a clear distinction between TechSupport questions, and vCampus questions.
          That is something we are struggling all the time. We have lot's of TechSupport vs. vCampus questions and I am sure all of us have seen these I would like to kindly invite you... messages. However, there is a grey zone when it comes to integration topics. I am very eager to hear the opinion of the community for this topic.

Michael @ Atos Origin

There should be enough room for 'offtopic' and 'fun' reactions. This makes vCampus fun, and creates a community feeling. It should however be to the moderators discretion on 'how far the offtopic/fun' reactions should go.

Fortunately there was no need to restrict any discussions so far, except the members we had to send Cristobal

Cristobal

... has been silenced.

• Re: Creating vCampus (posting) guidelines
              MichaelvdV@Atos

Andreas

I agree on the "no greeting in every post', but in my opinion it should be left to the author whether he wants to greet or not. This could be a cultural issue anyhow.

This is very much true, I didn't mean for this to be the 'vCampus Law', but more a guideline in the sense that it can make threads a bit hard to read. I do agree this is a cultural issue, but maybe it could be set as a guideline. This makes it more like a knowledge article instead of an email conversation.

Andreas

I would say you have enough room for this in your profile and you should do that there - no need for an additional post.

True, maybe we should promote 'filling in your bio' more. I'm also guilty of not having a nice bio.

Andreas

However, there is a grey zone when it comes to integration topics. I am very eager to hear the opinion of the community for this topic.

As am I, I think this is a very important discussion!

Andreas

Fortunately there was no need to restrict any discussions so far, except the members we had to send Cristobal [

Lol

At your overall reaction: I'm glad you are positive about this proposal!