6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 3:42 AM by formerpigeek

RC software and licences

SteveOD

Hi,

I'm keen to try the RC versions but do not want to install them on my 'production' laptop.

I would like to install them on my test Windows Server.

I understand my vCampus licence only allows for a single licence. I need a second licence to test the RC versions.

Is a special RC licence this available ?

Cheers

• Re: RC software and licences

We do not offer such special license at this time, so your best option is to make use of virtual machines and run either environment at any given time.

Per the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section:

Q. Is the licensing different on a Virtual Machine?
          A.
          No: the subscriber still has to generate and upload the "Machine Signature File" (MSF) to get a PI Server License file generated. On a Virtual Machine, however, that MSF is generated with information from both the Virtual Machine and the Physical Host. This means the PI Server is bound to that "Virtual Machine + Physical Host" combination.

Please note that you are NOT licensed to run multiple copies concurrently. However, for archiving
          purposes you may create backups of your virtual machine in various configurations subject to your license agreement. Please note as well that changes in the virtual machine's  hardware will require
          you to apply for a new license file. A new license file can only be issued by a request sent to vcampus@osisoft.com and approval is granted on a case-by-case basis.

MichaelvdV@Atos

I think this is a very good question.

Steve Pilon

We do not offer such special license at this time, so your best option is to make use of virtual machines and run either environment at any given time.

Is there any chance OSIsoft can look into that? One of the big advantages of vCampus is the ability to try out new software (beta, rc) before it gets released, giving vCampus members the opportunity to test it out and give feedback to OSIsoft. Having a 'production' development environment, and a playground/test environment is a much seen setup.

formerpigeek

It is interesting to note that we can no longer set up an HA installation under our vCampus license.

David M. Fairchild

It is interesting to note that we can no longer set up an HA installation under our vCampus license.
                      I'm wondering what makes you believe so - the vCampus license is set up to allow up to 2 additional HA nodes (1 Primary + 2 Secondaries). Per the online Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section:

Q. Anything else I need to know on the software provided?
                                A. 
                      The PI Server is limited to 10,000 points and HA (High Availability) Collectives of up to 3 nodes.

Please make sure you are generating the PI Server License file that's associated for your personal vCampus development server, rather than any other PI Server at your site(s). The easiest way to do that is by clicking the "Link to MLA" hyperlink on the right-hand side of the vCampus Download Center. This link brings you to the My License Activations (MLA) section of the TechSupport website, with a filtered view on your particular vCampus server.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at vCampus@osisoft.com if you do that and still find that you license doesn't cover for the use of HA.

Michael @ Atos Origin

Is there any chance OSIsoft can look into that?
                      I think it's a pretty good question indeed and for now the use of virtual machines is definitely the most efficient way to address this. But rest assured I definitely brought that up to the rest of the team and we initiated discussions around this topic. We'll certainly keep you guys in the loop if/when there are new developments