15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 3:55 PM by Nick D'Orazio

Comparing On Demand Computer Based Training with vCampus CBT's

cjrancur

OSIsoft recently announced pricing for On Demand Computer Based Training, as excerpted below.  My question is, how does this compare with the vCampus CBT offering?  It looks like there are CBT's offered in the On Demand Training that are not offered in vCampus.  Is that correct?  Or is this offering just a separate way to purchase the CBT's without purchasing the full vCampus access to discussion groups and to a simulation server system?  I thought vCampus provided access to all training CBT's.  Are the vCampus CBT offerings the same as the On Demand CBT offerings?

Here is a part of the latest announcment from the On Demand Computer Based Training site, at:

http://inter.viewcentral.com/events/cust/search_results.aspx?event_id=90&event_id=112&event_id=65&event_id=84&keyword=&postingForm=default.aspx&cid=ositraining&pid=1&lid=1

The On-Demand Computer Based Training (CBT) Series presents all the same topics as our traditional instructor led training. The courses consist of 60+ hours of voice and video demonstrations, quizzes to test your knowledge, and class exercises.

Schedule Duration: 376.00 day(s)

• Re: Comparing On Demand Computer Based Training with vCampus CBT's
          cescamilla

What you say is correct,

Carrie Rancuret

It looks like there are CBT's offered in the On Demand Training that are not offered in vCampus.  Is that correct?

That is correct, in vCampus we incleded a subset of the CBTs

Carrie Rancuret

I thought vCampus provided access to all training CBT's

We only included the ones relevant to the vCampus Product Kit offering.

Carrie Rancuret

Are the vCampus CBT offerings the same as the On Demand CBT offerings?

Yes, the 5 CBTs we included in vCampus are a subset of what you would get access to in the On-Demand CBT offering.

Hope this helps clarify your question. :)

PI Developers Club

Nick D'Orazio

As Cristobal said, the On-Demand CBT subscription offers more courses than the vCampus CBTs. We've included in the vCampus CBTs our three most popular CBTs (client, RtWebParts, and system management) plus 2 topics that seem of greatest interest to developers (ACE and ActiveX Scripting in ProcessBook). The On-Demand CBT includes the full set of classes you list above. We have not discussed any changes at this point in time. So at this point it has not been decided, for example, if the new AF Essential Skills CBT due out in a couple of months will be available as part of the vCampus CBT set of courses. We will continue to update the five courses offered on vCampus as they are updated in the On-Demand subscription. But as to which, if any, other CBTs we will add to the list available to vCampus members we have nothing to announce at this time.

cjrancur

Of the CBT's offered, the following two also seem to fit into the vCampus areas of coverage:

Batch and Event Framing For Process Analysis

PI System AF: Essential Skills

I would like to see both of the above CBT's included in the vCampus offerings.  I think these fit the vCampus community areas of interest and coverage. I can understand why others, such as the MCN Health Monitor, have not been included in the vCampus offering set. 

With this post, I want to indicate my interest, and place my request, for having OSIsoft consider adding both the Batch and Event Framing CBT and the new AF CB to the vCampus offering.

cjrancur

I'd also like to add the ACE CBT to my wish list.

The PI ACE CBT is already provided un the vCampus Training Center.
                        The PI Batch one will not be provided since this is not a technology/product that is promoted anymore, in favor of the upcoming Event Frames.

As a matter of fact, PI BatchView and the PI Batch Generator Interface (PIBaGen) are not provided in the vCampus PI Products Kit. There's been a little bit of support provided on vCampus around controlling PI BatchView via VBA code in PI ProcessBook (that's really ProcessBook development), but any support around installing, configuring and using PI BatchView and PIBaGen should be routed to our regular Tech Support team.

cjrancur

There have been EventFrames discussion topics and Webinars on vCampus.  Would any updated EventFrames CBT produced in the future be in a similar status as the AF CBT is now for vCampus?  I understand that status to be possibly under consideration, but not decided for a concrete announcement or for pricing and inclusion within the vCampus offering at the current time.   

I'm glad ACE is included in vCampus CBT's.  I agree that it makes sense to provide it here.

cescamilla

Carrie Rancuret

Would any updated EventFrames CBT produced in the future be in a similar status as the AF CBT is now for vCampus?

Most certainly yes. That is what vCampus is for. The CTP status means that the product is not yet publicly available and, as such, is not something we sell or disfribute for other means than Community Technology Previews (CTP). But if there are any updated versions of EventFrames you would be able to find them in vCampus.

However, as soon as a product gets released it may be included in vCampus Product Kit (if the product fits the vCampus goals) so, rest assured you will be getting more things and new releases all the time.

cescamilla

Carrie Rancuret

I'd also like to add the ACE CBT to my wish list.

PI ACE is currently included.

Carrie Rancuret

Batch and Event Framing For Process Analysis

Batch is not included in the vCampus Product Kit, and Event Framing is available as a CTP/Beta, that is the reason for not including this CBT in the list.

Carrie Rancuret

PI System AF: Essential Skills

It is not finished yet, and, as Nick pointed out, it may or may not be included, it has not been discussed yet but we will bring this up when it is realeased and we'll let you known.

Hope this helps to clarify your request. :)