11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2010 11:08 AM by MichaelvdV@Atos

Per-post rating? Do you agree?

Ahmad Fattahi

Fellow vCampus community members, 

As we are rapidly growing in size and the number of posts we would like to have some new tools to manage and track the posts in the discussion hall. We are considering  adding a “per-post rating” feature to the forums. This way we, as a community, could push up the more useful and interesting posts and question less credible or ambiguous ones. What do you think of the idea? Please share your thoughts with everyone else!

• Re: Per-post rating? Do you agree?
          MichaelvdV@Atos

I'm in doubt about this. I like the idea of having ranked posts, because (as you said) users can discriminate the more helpfull and insightfull answers more quickly. Stack Overflow is based on this idea, and it has become one of the most usefull resources on the web today. Next to that, the answer(s) in a thread are highlighted, which makes it easy to scan for the right solution to the question.

The main drive behind this system is the 'rewards' and badges that users can achieve. The result is a pretty competative environment, in which users seek to harvest credit. This can be a good thing.

On the other hand, I think the competative nature of such a system will result in less discussions, and more of a question-answer (techsupport) based message board. I think this is exactly what vCampus is not. There should be enough room for (philosophical) discussions, and the fact that discussions can lead to no consensus or result.

In my opinion it's also a question of what the future of vCampus should be. Should it be more of a question-answer type board, or more of a discussion board. My money is on the second one, because for the first one OSIsoft provides TechSupport.

I like the idea of having ranked posts, but I'm not really sure about the long time consequences. Maybe a system where only the most insightfull answers are marked (and displayed) as such can improve readability a lot already, without having the very competative nature of a ranking system.

What do you mean by "push up"?  Make them a sticky type of post or just highlight them in the thread?

I think by questioning less credible posts (this needs some definition too) you could end up discouraging people from posting if they feel they are being judged each time they post.

MichaelvdV@Atos

Rhys @ RJK Solutions

What do you mean by "push up"?  Make them a sticky type of post or just highlight them in the thread?

In my opinion this should be highlighted in green, and maybe with a green 'V' (check mark) in front.

Rhys @ RJK Solutions

I think by questioning less credible posts (this needs some definition too) you could end up discouraging people from posting if they feel they are being judged each time they post.

I totally agree (I'm afraid most of my posts will have negative credit ). By highlighting the most insightfull answer(s), other answers are not discredited (in my opinion).

Ahmad Fattahi

Thanks for the early feedback. I may need to make some clarifications here. The point of having such per-post ranking would be twofold: to make one more comfortable following advice on a certain post when there is already some positive feedback on it. It, by no means should discourage people from speaking their minds. After all this is a community and there are all sorts of discussions going on in a healthy community with inevitable disagreements.

The other benefit would be gauging the interests of the whole community. We would like to better understand what topics concerns community members. The hope is that this ranking system will assist us toward this goal.

PS: By "pushing up" or "questioning" I only meant giving positive or negative feedback.

MichaelvdV@Atos

Ahmad, thanks for the clarifications.

As already stated, I really like the idea, but I'm in doubt about it's effectiveness and impact on the community. As we have seen in the past, the vCampus community behaves differently then other (open) communities. In my opinion this is due to the subscription based nature of vCampus. This is also why I have doubts about any sort of ranking system. (It's really a 50/50 pro-con doubt )

Do you think it would be possible, considering the costs and effort to implement such a system, to have a 'trial' period for a ranking system? After the trial period (lets say, 6 months), we could evaluate as a community, and decide wheter or not it adds value to vCampus.

cescamilla

I wanted to add, anyone can vote on any topic, based on one of several criteria, for example, if you find a post you love, that helped you, that you find really interesting, that you think it is worth sharing, or it made you crack a laugh, then rate it high. The idea is not to make it restrictive but to use it as a highligther.

What do you think about this?

Ahmad Fattahi

It is unlikely that it takes too much time/effort to implement. Therefore, if it provides any insight into the community's interests or otherwise any other benefit it will be worthy of trying.

Kenneth.Rice

Ahmad,

Here is my two cents (American money so ...). I read most every post via e-mail subscription, and often find items that would be very helpful (sometimes immediately or in the future) but when I go back to find it later I look for hours or some times never find the discussion. So I would appreciate something that could help me mark "useful" discussions, is there a way to make it personal to the end user (just a thought along the lines of others commenting about causing hurt feelings) BTW I think everything posted to this site is useful, helpful and good... "Never a dumb question"

As I stated before I could really use a mechanism to help sort "relevant info".

Rhys, BTW you must be the youngest "PI" enthusists around (see profile picture for Rhys) Cute kid