5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 7:37 PM by Asle Frantzen

PI-to-PI APS Connector

Michel Daigle

Hi Everyone,

The vCampus comes with PI-to-PI interface capabilities as well as with the PI-APS (AutoPointSync) services.  However, the PI-to-PI APS connector is not included in the vCampus subcription.  APS is a very interesting solution that is not often used... Providing full PI-to-PI APS capabilities in vCampus would help developers to better understand it and thus, implement it at the client's site.

The same would be applicable to OPC Client:  Why don't vCampus includes a limites (let say 500 tags) OPC client to test OPC Server applications?  Food for thoughts for the vCampus team...

Cheers,

MD

• Re: PI-to-PI APS Connector
          Bannikov

Hello,

I don't think vCampus should include all software that exists in the world and can be used to test custom applications. At least OPC Client can be found freely at http://www.matrikonopc.com/products/opc-desktop-tools/index.aspx (for example only, it's not spam). PI OPC Client is smart tool, but not the only one.

Asle Frantzen

Michel Daigle

Providing full ****** capabilities in vCampus would help developers to better understand it and thus, implement it at the client's site.

I'd like to join in here. This could be true for other interfaces as well. For example, the RDBMS interface or the XML interface both take some programming effort (sql/xslt) to set up. And while other interfaces are best set up at the client's site, I feel I need to practice a little bit before running out there and setting up one of these. And some things are best done on the developer's pc, rather than the client's server.

As far as I've understood, the interface limitations of the vCampus pi server is embedded in the server itself. And that the limitations were put there in order to ensure that the vCampus pi server was only made for testing and development.

So - in the spirit of self education - and how we are perceived when we're out at clients, why not include a larger number of interfaces for us to test? If you want to limit the number of tags for each of the interfaces, please do!

Ahmad Fattahi

Thank you all for the feedback and "food for thought". I will definitely bring this up internally as something that the community is interested in.

At the same time let me explain the philosophy behind the way vCampus licensing model is designed. The main goal is to provide developers, customers, system integrators (basically whoever interested in PI!) with an affordable "personal PI server for development". Obviously a lot of other benefits, such as tutorials, webinars, forums, white papers, community, and  alike come with it which is not the topic of this post. The idea behind "PI-to-PI only", is that members can mimic what data they have in production. You can imagine if we include other major production interfaces in the package it would make the whole package less affordable; this is quite the opposite of what we are aiming for.

Michel Daigle

I totally understand the purpose of vCampus which is a great thing for the PI community.  I personnaly work with PI since 1991 (VMS stuff and all) and this is amazing now to have a sharing tool like vCampus. 

Having said that, I'm also a SI that have help clients to define their PI system before they install or even buy it.  Although the current vCampus has most of the required tools, I think that it mist some strategic interfaces to complete the picture from DCS/PLC to applications.

Naturally, I'm not asking to have everything, just to have a more complete picture of the product suite... at the end of the day, we all befenit from it (clients, OSIsoft, partners).

Again, food for thoughts.

Asle Frantzen

Ahmad

At the same time let me explain the philosophy behind the way vCampus licensing model is designed. The main goal is to provide developers, customers, system integrators (basically whoever interested in PI!) with an affordable "personal PI server for development". Obviously a lot of other benefits, such as tutorials, webinars, forums, white papers, community, and  alike come with it which is not the topic of this post. The idea behind "PI-to-PI only", is that members can mimic what data they have in production. You can imagine if we include other major production interfaces in the package it would make the whole package less affordable; this is quite the opposite of what we are aiming for.

Hi Ahmad!

Thanks for the explanation. I see what you mean, but let's take the system integrator role as an example:

A person is a vCampus subscriber, and works as a system integrator. Some of his clients are hundreds of miles away, and a few don't allow remote desktop connection - work has to be done on-site! Now, the PI-to-PI interface can be configured by this person, but he only has 1 vCampus subscription (development server) so he's not able to test it. Even if he was working for a "remote desktop" client, they normally use Citrix solutions and firewalls so running the PI-to-PI interface would be almost impossible, as a testing tool. Now, let's say a job for a non-remote-desktop client means setting up some interfaces he is unfamiliar with - for example in order to use the XML interface data has to be transformed into OPC XML DA format. Most of the job would then require programming the XSL Translation, before setting up the interface itself. Personal experice tells me this kind of work is best done in the peace & quiet of your own office, rather than out at a client's site. And also especially when one needs to travel to get the job done.

So, my point is that for end users - who have a production pi server in their factory - and a development department footsteps away, the PI-to-PI way to mimic data from the production environment would be just perfect! But for system integrators, not sitting on-site at the client - possibly hundreds of miles away, the ability to do development and testing at "home" before travelling to deploy the solutions is crucial!

What the solution to this challenge could be, well... I don't know! Maybe you could differentiate between end users and system integrators here on vCampus, allowing the latter to access and use development versions of interfaces with their vCampus pi server.