7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2010 9:40 PM by Ahmad Fattahi

PI and Tools for the Users to Troubleshoot the production

wpurrer

Hi (again)!

I want to ask which tools are users for troubleshooting,... using.

Processbook, Excel ???

I heared also from some different products like the "troubleshooter" + "Cause +"  from GE which also can be used in connection with pi.

http://www.ge-ip.com/products/3391

on the right bottom there is a demo "Continuous Troubleshooter" which is very interesting and (for me) a very new approach. (but you have to log in..)

Does someone knows similar tools, which can be used together with PI, so the users get more value out of it..

• Re: PI and Tools for the Users to Troubleshoot the production
          skwan

Hello Wolfgang:

I'm a little bit familiar with Troubleshooter and Cause+ as I worked for GE prior to joining OSIsoft.  Troubleshooter attempts to apply various mathematical correlations to data in an offline fashion.  So it can do things like linear correlations, statistics, neural nets, etc.  In essence, it provides to the user a toolbox with tools but it's up to the user to pick and choose the proper analyses to apply.  As you have already noted, Troubleshooter can be used with OPC data, therefore you can apply these tools to PI data via OPC HDA server and manual extractions to a CSV or similar files.  Cause+ simply takes this same approach online via the GE HMI/SCADA.

So is your question whether there are other toolsets in the market that provides similar or better functionalities than Troubleshooter and Cause+ or are you asking if OSI provides these tools?

Thanks,

wpurrer

Both ...

* the analysis user expierence is very bad (in my humble opinion) so we are looking for a better way. It would perfect if osisoft would provide such a tool... and the second question is if anyone knows similar or better products.

Ahmad Fattahi

It is interesting you are bringing this up Wolfgang. It has been a while we have been pondering about a similar project on vCampus. Could you elaborate some more on what you mean by "troubleshooting"? Do you mean finding predictable patterns on some data streams leading to a fault or error?

wpurrer

I mean two things.

* At first, I mean a good and userfriendly tool to analyce the data (just a simple Trendviewer, with timeshifting,.. cursor,... and so on (for me the processbook isn't this tool...)

* At second is to find patterns in the data.
                      ( which can be used for models, optimizing,..)

Regards.

Børre Heggernes
                          Hi Wolfgang, to your second point about finding patterns in the data: I think you're better of looking at 3rd party products that does this better than OSI will ever do. Companies the likes of SAS Institute and others has this as part of their core expertise, whereas OSI wants to be the infrastructure feeding such products with real-time data. As the saying goes: "trying to be everything to everyone is the recipe for mediocracy"

Borre got it absolutely right: we are a real-time data infrastructure vendor. Part of this infrastructure is a few basic analytic tools (PE, Totalizer, the future "AF Configured Analytics"), but for the most part if you want to do something specific with the data, you need to develop it yourself or go to our various partners who do so. Please contact us at vCampus@osisoft.com if you need more information about who to contact.

One of the things you might want to consider, is to integrate PI System data with third-party analytic tools. There was a great talk about this given by Ahmad Fattahi at OSIsoft vCampus Live! 2010, and this in fact the whole point of the PI System Integration discussion forum.

I'd also like to follow-up on Ahmad's post, and invite you to share a little more about your needs/ideas, and hopefully rally up some people (both OSIsoft and non-OSIsoft) for an eventual 'Community Project' on this.

Ahmad Fattahi

There are a number of potential 3rd-party analytical tools you want to consider. MATLAB, JMP, and Discoverant are a few to name. For some we already have examples and sample codes available. If we know more about your exact needs we can dig deeper and see which tool suites them better.

The other possibility is that we start working together on one of these tools you are interested in and come up with such samples and use cases on vCampus. This way you can directly inject your input and drive it toward your application; at the same time we use vCampus’ platform to move the project in a fast and collaborative fashion. Would you be interested in something like that?