12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2010 7:20 PM by Ahmad Fattahi

iPad / iPhone vCampus App

Is there any chance for such a "free" app from OSIsoft? I spend a lot of time on my iPad these days and accessing vCampus on it is a nightmare. Hint, I am about to start on an app for another PI related forum...

• Re: iPad / iPhone vCampus App
          Asle Frantzen

Would be nice, but for me - it's good enough if the site supports the iPad (i.e. Safari) better.

OSI is aware of the Safari compatibility issue, and it should be fixed when the new vCampus is launched/upgraded. http://vcampus.osisoft.com/forums/t/1090.aspx

Robert Raesemann

Rhys,

Missed you at vCampus Live! this year. Hope the little one is doing well.

vCampus is (I guess will be after the upgrade) based on the Telligent Community 5.5. I just did a quick web search and see that there is a web service available.

http://telligent.com/company/news/b/teamblog/archive/2010/03/04/web-service-enhancements-in-telligent-evolution-platform-5-5.aspx

So I guess the question to the OSIsoft guys is, if the vCampus community decided to work on an iPad app would you be able to support us and help us on the backend by exposing the web services and maybe providing a conduit to Telligent support if we needed it?

I saw quite a few iPads and iPones at vCampus this year.

Also, I love my iPad but I also use an Android phone (figured it was good to have experience with both). Are there any others who would be interested in something on the Android.

Hey Rob, Ethan is doing great thanks...1 already.  Wish I could have made it over for vCampus Live!

I understand that there will be support for Safari but I just think it would be cool to have an iPad/iPhone app out there for vCampus.  I remember justifying a small project once by claiming it would be "cool" to do it

Not got anything Android yet, I am going to have to get another phone/device running Android...

Robert Raesemann

My little guy is almost 2. For some reason I was thinking that they were about the same age. I have to lock my office door now as Daddy's office is a treasure trove of wonder for him.

I've just spent a little time looking at the information that is available online. It looks like the site administrators would need to enable the REST web services and make some configuration changes to enable the creation of API Keys.

I'm up for working on the app with you. I've got my iPad and MacBook with XCode and an Apple Developer subscription.

If we can get this figured out then everything will be ready for the OSIsoft guys to develop an app for Windows Phone 7 through the REST interface and they can say the Apple stuff was done by a couple of wingnut users.

Sorry this thread fell between the cracks... the whole vCampus team was at vCampus Live! last week, and we're all trying to catch up

As pointed out earlier in this thread, support for Safari (and hence support for iPad/iPhone) will be part of the upcoming upgrade of the vCampus platform (to Telligent Community 5.5, as Rob accurately pointed out).

As far as developing an iPad and/or iPhone app, I agree it would be cool but I'm not sure the effort is justified if Safari access works as expected. This would certainly be a great 'Community Project', but would require our IT/web folks to do some work on our end - we can certainly try and get them to quickly research into it, but depending on the amount of effort required, I'm not sure we can go to their management and sell this idea (they are already busy with an overwhelming number of other projects...).

So I guess the question to you now is: given that Safari will be supported, how should I sell this to our IT/web management, if that turns out being a relatively large effort? What value does it bring to the community and how do you justify you/we spend time on this? (In other words, I agree this would be "cool" but I'm not sure how valuable the time and energy spent on this would be - so please help us help you )

Halenger

Wasn't sure if this deserved it's own topic because it's a little off-topic.  I was wondering if anyone has/does convert the vCampus webinars so they can be played on the iPad?  If so, what software do you use to convert the .wmv to a file the iPad can use - and then what app would be needed?

I'm looking to put as many of the webinars (and whatever OSI/vCampus literature/video's) onto my iPad as it's a quick solution to watch them without having to get my laptop out.  I'm willing to spend somewhere around $30 (US) conversion software/app - is this possible?  Is this even permissible from OSI?

Thanks,

John

wsarwani

I use Handbrake to convert video files (.wmv, .avi etc) to MP4 format so that they can be played on an iPad or iPod. I haven't tried it specifically with the vCampus webinars yet but the files I have have converted so far work just fine. It's free on both PC and Mac. It's not well suited for the inexperienced user as it has quite a lot of options and all the jargon that goes along with digital video conversion (I'll be the first to admit I don't understand most of it!) but one nice feature is the ability to save your settings so that when you want to reconvert a file, just choose the previous;y saved output settings and your good to go. It also has pre-defined settings for the iPod/iPhone, TV etc. Another useful feature is the ability to queue conversion jobs. Set them at night and by morning they're all done...

There are other programs which have a much better user interface but the only ones I've come across are not free. Most are in the price range you mentioned and others are a bit more expensive - a quick search in Google will give you the list.

I'll let someone from OSISoft answer the legality part of your question - but I agree, it would be useful to be able to carry the webinars around on an iPad to watch on a plane etc.

Cheers,

Asle Frantzen

Waleed I. Sarwani

I'll let someone from OSISoft answer the legality part of your question - but I agree, it would be useful to be able to carry the webinars around on an iPad to watch on a plane etc.

I don't think OSIsoft cares about where you watch the webinars. You have access to view it and download it, and whether you watch it on a PC or Mac / laptop or desktop computer / use Windows, Linux, OS X, iOS, etc. should be solely up to you to decide

wsarwani

I forgot to mention that there is an app for the iPad that wil play .wmv files and other "non-Apple" formats (I think it will also stream them too). It's called "yxplayer" and it comes in "lite" and paid versions. It's stills looks like a "beta" version and the user interface is klunky and not so clean and polished like most other apps and the only way you can play video is by copying them to the iPad through iTunes (no support for cloud storage like Dropbox and it won't open attachments to email). But once you get the file in, it wil play it correctly. That could be another option which avoids having to convert anything.

Halenger

Waleed, thanks for the tips! I looked into the yxplayer and it works like a champ...  I first tried the lite version to see if there would be compatibility issues and the webinars were flawless - with exception of the ad they (yxplayer) put on the near bottom of the screen.  So I bought yxplayer2 for $4.99 (US) and I'm able to watch the webinars on my flight that leaves in a few hours... and without annoying adds.  Thanks once again for the help everyone.