7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2010 3:44 PM by dhollebeek

C# ProcessBook addin 'stops' after a time.

AlistairFrith

I am developing a ProcessBook addin to aid in building standardised displays. It has a menu bar with entries for running a number of tools. It is built using C# in Visual Studio 2008 Professional.

When running it, it works fine at first but after a few minutes, although the menu still works, the addin stops responding to menu choices. I have set breakpoints in the menu event handlers and they stop being triggered after a few minutes.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

--- Alistair.

• Re: C# ProcessBook addin 'stops' after a time.
          Ahmad Fattahi

Is it just a matter of time you wait or something you click on the menu items that makes it irresponsive? Say, if you run the add-in and do nothing with it, would it still stop responding after a certain time?

The other clue is if the whole PB hangs or not.

Do you see any unusual CPU/memory usage?

• Re: C# ProcessBook addin 'stops' after a time.
              AlistairFrith

Ahmad

Is it just a matter of time you wait or something you click on the menu items that makes it irresponsive? Say, if you run the add-in and do nothing with it, would it still stop responding after a certain time?

It seems to be just time. I have run 2 or 3 of the tools ok before it hangs, one tool multiple times, or no tools at all: just started PB and then browsed the web for a few minutes before returning to it. In all 3 cases above, the addin stops working after a few minutes. The time it takes is variable as well.

Ahmad

The other clue is if the whole PB hangs or not.

No, ProcessBook continues to work. The addin menu continues to work but choosing the menu items no longer invokes their event handlers (I have a breakpoint in each event handler).

Ahmad

Do you see any unusual CPU/memory usage?

Not that I have noticed so far. I will try it with Task Manager alongside... No, no obvious memory or cpu usage anomalies.

I have now discovered that the Help->About menu option still works. It is all the other options that hang. The menu has the following structure:

• Component
                • New Table
                • New From Template
              • Tools
                • Symbol Colours
                • Configure Template
              • Help
                • About

And now Help->About has also stopped triggering its event handler so it seems as though it stops working bit-by-bit.

I also wondered whether it was just when run through the VS2008 debugger so I have tried running ProcBook standalone and the problem still persists.

--- Alistair