1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 15, 2010 11:22 PM by Ahmad Fattahi

PI and MATLAB

maggiepakula

I have had a number of problems attempting to get these two to play together. I have attemped using two of the connection strategies described in the White Paper and have encountered the following problems.

JDBC Connection: I have not actually been able to connect because I am having trouble installing the PI SQL DAS. I'm getting this error - Error 1721. There is a problem with the Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

ADO/OLEDB Connection: While I have managed to connect using this approach I keep running into problems with the PI to MATLAB tools (note: I did have to change the connection strings in all of these tools to get them working). If I attempt to connect to servers I have not added in SDK or if I attempt to query an incorrect tag MATLAB does not stop running and will not even accept the CTRL + C break. If I try to call these tools in my own scripts I have the same problem or occasionally get an error during the call to adobdquery saying "r" is an undefined variable.

If anyone has suggestions regarding these issues they would be greatly appreciated. I need to start pulling and analyzing large amounts of data (much more than could be handled by Datalink), so if anyone has a found a successful way of doing this that would be helpful too.

• Re: PI and MATLAB
          Ahmad Fattahi

Thanks for taking the time to post your question in the forum (I moved your question to this forum as it fits better to your type of question )

The installation problem would require us to dig deeper into what is missing. As we talked before, our regular Tech Support would be a better way to address this question.

Sorry to hear you are facing problems using PI OLEDB Provider and ADO capacities of MATLAB. What I would like to do is narrowing down the problem. Are you able to run any test queries on PI OLEDB Provider itself aside from MATLAB? If yes, are you able to get a simple PI tag value into MATLAB using this method? It might be that everything is working in general but your MATLAB code doesn't have sufficient error-trapping provisions leading to the problems you are referring to.

Hope it helps narrowing down the problem and find where it is breaking.