12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 10:20 AM by gregor

Oracle to PI Connection

Lonnie Bowling

I’m trying to figure out the various ways I can connect to an oracle database.  I need to write values from the database to the PI server.  I’m wondering what the most straight-forward way to do this is (i.e. easy to setup and maintain) vs. what would be the best performance route (maybe more involved, but would be very efficient). The databases are on different servers.

I know there is the SDK, ODBC data access, and RDMB interfaces, and maybe other tools to use.  If anyone has some thoughts I would really appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,

Lonnie

• Re: Oracle to PI Connection
          Asle Frantzen

Hi Lonnie

We had the same challenge a few months ago, and the requirement was 'configuration only' - so no custom code.

It ended up with us setting up linked servers to both Oracle and PI in Microsoft SQL Server, and scheduled a stored procedure to do the communication between the two.

Not the most elegant solution, but it's code free and DBA's at the client can understand it!

$0.02

Lonnie Bowling

Hi Asle,

Thanks for suggestion, just a few questions about what you did.

So did you use the PI ODBC DAS to connect the MS SQL database to PI?  Also, why didn't you use stored procedures in Oracle?

Thanks,

Lonnie

Asle Frantzen

No, PI OLEDB Provider. (There are countless posts about oledb/linked server in the forums, just do a quick search)

I'm sure we could have utilized Oracle a bit more, as long as PI was exposed as a linked server in MSSQL, but we're a Microsoft partner so Microsoft technology is what we do best :)

Hey Guys....so for a couple of projects we used the RDBMS interface to fetch data from Oracle and never saw any issues.  A 3rd party applicatoin based on Oracle was storing targets, alarm limits etc and we wanted to have those in PI to sit alongside the actual data.

Depends on what you want to achieve but I would be tempted to just use RDBMS.  What volume of data are you expecting to shift from Oracle to PI?  Maybe check the life cycle for RDBMS with a PM as the PI System Roadmap doesn't show any planned updates for 2011.

I was in the process of writing an answer when I realized Rhys wrote pretty much the same thing   In most cases, my vote goes to the PI RDBMS Interface... why try to recreate what OSIsoft has made a specialty of? (i.e. PI Interfaces to fetch data from a source and bring it into PI)

Asle Frantzen

The RDBMS Interface is great - and easy to use. A lot of our customers have that, of course.

The client I mentioned did, however, not have it - and when we only needed to collect 5 tags (one for each of their assets) this was the best solution for them!

I agree with Steve that you always should utilize OSIsoft's interfaces rather than setting up custom imports/exports, but there will always be economic considerations to make.