6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 1:33 PM by kilgored

PI Interface for Emerson's CSI Machinery Manager

jdouglas

I've been asked to get readings for equipment that is measured by CSI2130 handheld's. I have OPC tags for the online equipment. The data I need isn't on the OPC server. It is stored in differenet database files. Emerson has a ODBC driver, but the only sql syntax it takes is "Select * from Table". So, I can't use the PI-ODBC interface. Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

• Re: PI Interface for Emerson's CSI Machinery Manager
          Ahmad Fattahi

James,

What kinds of access technologies does the device support? ODBC is not licensed under OSIsoft vCampus. You also mentioned that the data is not served by any OPC Server. How about OLEDB or Web Services?

kilgored

I interfaced to their Oil Analysis database about 4 years ago, and it wasn't as straight forward as one would think. The PI-RDBMS interface worked, but since the CSI provided ODBC was "older" (at least at the time), and the database itself was linked over a network share, it was challenging. It supported simple where clauses, but nothing too elaborate.

Ahmad Fattahi

Thanks Dennis for the information and experience. Yes, ODBC is considered older tachnology; OLEDB and using PI OLEDB Data Access technology is much preferred and recommended over ODBC, when possible.

In any case, I have asked for some more insight from our interface team in case they have more to add to this discussion.

Ahmad Fattahi

Let me go over a few options we have at our disposal.

1) Using the PI RDBMS Interface: This interface to the PI Server can communicate with other relational database systems. From what we heard from Dennis above, it might be not too easy due to simplistic implementation of ODBC in CSI2130. However, it may well be worthwhile trying as PI RDBMS is a very powerful and robust interface to the PI Server. So, playing around with the device to see if it can work with the PI RDBMS interface is one option.

If that straight path doesn't work we can jump through an extra hoop and transfer the data into PI Server.

2) Use device's drivers to get the data out in the form of ASCII files (e.g. .csv). Then you can use Universal File Loader (PI UFL) interface to the PI Server to push data from the files into the PI Server. This is again a very good option utilizing OSIsoft's popular UFL interface to the PI Server.

3) Using PI SDK is another option. If you can play around with the Emerson device and get the data into MS Excel for example, then you can create your own PI SDK application to write data into desired PI tags. This option obviously would take more work. But it gives you lots of flexibility to customize it around your specific requirements.

Hope it helps. Please don't hesitate to post your questions here and follow up

jdouglas

Thanks, I'll try PI-RDBMS. Could I see one of your tag's sql statement. There are a lot of relations in the database. I need the over value in table VibTrendData, which is keyed the same as table OilTrendData. Did you do a join on tables or manually find the EquipmentKey and DCSID?

kilgored

We used the EquipmentKey as a parameter to the query and configured it in the ExDesc to be passed to the generic SQL statement file defined in the InstrumentTag. The general approach to the query was:

SELECT SampleDateTime, Lab3VectorWear, Lab3VectorContamination, Lab3VectorChemical, Lab3VectorOverall 
                          FROM OilTrendData 
                          WHERE SampleDateTime > ? AND EquipmentKey = ?