18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 3:22 AM by mhalhead

synchronize automatically a lot of PI server

raoul.morel

Hello everybody.

I search a solution to synchronise the configurations from locals PI servers (in diffrent plant) with a referent central PI server.

The configurations that i must synchronise are :

• Trust table
      • Groups & users
      • Digital State
      • Parameters from a few Tags (Performance Monitoring)
        • Re: synchronize automatically a lot of PI server
          Ahmad Fattahi

One way to go (which will mean that all the PI Servers are in synch and similar in cofiguration) is using High Availability (HA). In this configuration, you would assign one PI Server as the primary with one or more secondary PI Servers. All the configuration and data will be replicated automatically with the primary  being the reference.

If your PI Servers are not going to be identical (or almost identical) then it becomes more challenging. For example, how would you like to interpret two users with the same name on two PI Servers but with different privileges? In short, the answer will depend on what exactly you mean by "synchronizing" all these parameters.

As for data, you can always use PItoPI interface to transfer values of any desired set of tags between two PI Servers.

raoul.morel

I'm in the second case. I have a central server(300000 DS) that aggregate a lot of  locals servers (5000-10000 DS).

I have two kind of parameters:

-specific for each PI.

-globals : the same for all.

I want to synchronise the globals parameters. Actually, i use a script (with piconfig)that updates all servers, but in the futur i want only update the central server.

Ahmad Fattahi

Raoul,

As far as I can see the issue, this topic goes beyond a discussion thread here. Like I said, there are so many things to be careful about when we talk about "synchronizing" several PI Servers with a central PI Server. It involves duplicating data as well as lots of configuration and potential conflicts have to be resolved.

I would have two suggestions for you. One way to go is to involve OSIsoft Center of Excellence to draw a comprehensive picture of your PI System and tackle the issue from the top. On the other hand, if you have more specific questions (e.g. how to reflect changes on one tag configuration on another PI Server) we can discuss them one at a time here; this would be a bottom-up approach.

What "updates" are you performing on all servers via piconfig?

raoul.morel

Add new Datasets, PiPerfMon Tags or Trusts.

raoul.morel

I search a way to manage easier my PI park (68 PI local  servers and 3 PI central  servers), and to modify each server with SMT isn't a great solution for me.

Ok great, thanks for the update.  Discussions like these I am jealous of the OSI CoE...great discussions.

The 3 central PI servers, are they serving as enterprise wide servers that store "selected" data from the local servers and calculate KPIs?  

What is the geographical set up, each central server covers a geographical region (which is fed from 'n' of the 68 local servers - or all 68 servers)?  Or are the 3 central servers a geographically dispersed PI collective?

What does your user base look like, do you have users of one local PI server needing to connect to all other local PI servers and the central servers?  Or are local users only concerned with local servers?  Are you making use of Active Directory groups to help manage the users access burden of having so many servers? (You then only need manage access via such AD groups instead of on each individual server).

By the way, I like the term "PI Park".

Ahmad Fattahi

Raoul,

As you see from my and Rhys' responses, there are several questions around the issue we need to answer first. I have asked OSIsoft CoE team to chime in. By the way, managing 68 PI Servers is quite impressive

raoul.morel

So many questions

The centrals servers store all data from a part of local servers and a lot of others data (ACE, KPI, Forecasting,...), and each central server covers a geographical region.

Concerning the user profile, there are a mix of possibility, this depend of the regional organisation. In the past each user had an specific login and specific right, but the user management were a daily defi. Now, all user have the same account, and we study the new possibilities with the AD.

Lots more questions where those came from

If you blueprint your access to servers then you take the hit once on the servers (setting up PI Identities, Mappings, Point Security) but then it becomes a breeze of just adding/removing users/groups - assuming you have PI Server WIS as a minimum..?

Below is a quick, fictional set up to show more or less what I mean...

vcampus_5F00_ad_5F00_security_5F00_1.jpg

vcampus_5F00_ad_5F00_security_5F00_2.jpg

vcampus_5F00_ad_5F00_security_5F00_3.jpg

You then just apply such a model out to all your other local servers so that the groups map up to the regional group.  Of course, you can then add groups from one region to have access to another regions server etc  Hopefully you get the idea...

Look forward to other's input on the digital states and performance monitoring synchronisation - I'm still thinking on that one...