7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 10:08 PM by RJKSolutions

Configured Analytics (preview?)

Is it possible to get some indication or "preview of the CTP" for Configured Analytics and how accessible it will be from the AFSDK.  Having just finished a scheduler (simple albeit effective) for AF Attribtues I am keen to keep an eye on the future to ensure an upgrade path from the custom code to Configured Analytics is relatively trouble free. 

I guess I am interested to know what the object model is going to look like.

• Re: Configured Analytics (preview?)
          Ahmad Fattahi

Rhys, I like it where you put "preview" behind "CTP = Community Technology Preview" which makes it a double-preview

I will reach out to our AF team to get back to your post!

Is no news good news?

Ahmad Fattahi

Sorry about the delay Rhys. I will reach out to the corresponding PM again to get a better answer here.

On a related note, as per the PI System Roadmap, the Configured Analytics feature is scheduled to come out with the next release of the AF Server in Q3-Q4 of 2011.

gmoffett

Hello!

The PI System Roadmap indicates that the upcoming release of PI AF will include functionality to support a *future* release of Configured Analytics. The upcoming PI AF release will not *include* Configured Analytics.

The goal for Configured Analytics is just that configuration based analytics and we envision support for scheduling existing AF formula and AF custom data references. While work has been in progress on the scheduler component, we are still in the early stages and therefore we aren't quite ready to talk more about it yet!

Thank you for your interest and we would appreciate the opportunity to see what problems you are solving based on the work you have done

Hi Glenn,

The problem that was solved was the ability to move data amongst AF Attributes at different schedules regardless of the Data Reference assigned to an AF Attribute - when I say regardless of the Data Reference, I mean that the Data Reference has to support GetValue and/or SetValue (if moving data to an AF Attribute) methods.

I think of AF as a train station - trains full of people from different locations are arriving at the AF station.  Periodically we want to move such people on to different outbound trains to arrive at certain locations at certain times; the rest of the people we leave at the station so they can be counted by the station's CCTV.  (Station = AF, Train = Data Reference, People = AF Values, CCTV = AF consuming applications.)

I used AF Categories and some hierarchy rules so the scheduler (which really is very basic) can connect to AF, identify all AF Attributes that have data to be moved and move that data.  Alternatively, it will just parse a collection of AF Paths direct to the AF Attributes.  What is common is data for one Attribute comes from SQL Server, another comes from PI and a third comes from an Attribute with no data reference (like a constant).  A fourth AF Attribute then uses the Formula Data Reference to calculate a value.  Problem is, you want this value stored elsewhere other than AF but an AF Attribute can only have one Data Reference so the scheduler service will come along, obtain a value using GetValue from the "source" attribute, identify the "desitnation" attribute (according to the rules/categories) and then call SetValue passing the obtained AF Value.  Now imagine that for multiple AF Databases with 1000's of Attributes at different schedules (once per minute, hour, day, month...), a great way to shuffle data amongst AF.

Hopefully along the lines of what configured analytics will deliver.

gmoffett

AF, the delivery van!

It looks like you could be using AF for reporting.

Are you only copying values or is there any transformation/calculation performed along the way, i.e.:  getting changed at the train station between trains

Thank you for describing your scenario, great food for thought

At the moment the mechanism simply copies the values from one AF Attribute to another - i.e. we put the people on the outbound train in their original clothes.

This particular project was for a client, I guess you could say they are using it for reporting.  On the whole they have lots of data in different systems and they chose not to replicate/archive all source data in PI.

Still sounds as though configured analytics is way off, time to firm up my scheduler...