Robert Raesemann

Writing value to a tag when using ERD in ProcessBook

Discussion created by Robert Raesemann on Jan 24, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 1, 2011 by Ahmad Fattahi

I'm converting an existing ProcessBook display to use element relative displays. The ProcessBook has some VBA code to write a value to a tag.

Set myServer = Servers("servername")
Set myStateSet = myServer.StateSets("NotRunningRunning")
Set myDigitalState = myStateSet("Running")
Set myPiData = myServer.PIPoints("pitagname").Data
myPiData.UpdateValue myDigitalState, "*"

Of course after updating the display to use AF, I need the tagname that is pointed to by the AF element that I have chosen. Since I have a value element on the display named valFuelFlow, I was hoping that the GetTagName method would provide me with the PI tag that was feeding the value display simliar to this...

dim TagName as string
TagName = valFuelFlow.GetTagName(1)
Set myPiData = myServer.PIPoints("pitagname").Data

The problem is that GetTagName returns the AF attibute name and not the tag name that the attribute is pointing to. I can't figure out an easy way to write to the value.

I know that AF 2.0 does not have a COM interface so I would need to write a ProcessBook add-in. I was thinking that I could maybe get the tagname using the module database instead if I moved the elements so that they would be sync'ed with the MD. Anyone have any ideas. I feel like this is harder than it should be so I suspect I may just be missing something in the heat of battle.

Outcomes