5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2011 7:52 PM by Ahmad Fattahi

GetPIArchieveData  vs GetPISnapshotData

farooquf

Hi Guys,

Thank you for discussing and posting relvant information on this forum section.

Today I again come up with new question :)

What exactly a difference between GetPIArchieveData with 1 value and GetPISnapshotData?

In user guide it is mentioned that "GetPIArchieveData with Start Date = *, End = *, Compressed with Outside" is similar to GetPISnapshotData. If this is so then why we need a GetPISnapshotData operation in the service? Also, in terms of performance and data retreival which is best?

Many Thanks

Farooq

• Re: GetPIArchieveData  vs GetPISnapshotData
          Ahmad Fattahi

Farooq,

As you pointed out this is the remarks under GetPISnapshotData:

"This method is equivalent to GetPIArchiveData with a PIArcMannerRetrivalType of Compressed and PIArcMannerBoundaries of Outside for the TimeRange that denotes current time; These queries must specify StartTime=* and EndTime=*, since the snapshot is usually before or at current time."

You can think of GetPIArchiveData as a general method capable of fetching archive and/or snapshot data in different modes and shapes with possibly a time range included. Since the snapshot value of a PI tag is of specific importance you can use GetPISnapshotData method as a shortcut to retrieve the snapshot value.

farooquf

Thanks.

If I have same use case, which is the right operation to use?

If archive operation (with comp, outside, *, *) is same as snapshot than which is best in performance?

Ahmad Fattahi

For your purpose there is no real difference in performance. The code would be the same either way. As I said before, the main reason is that you wouldn't  need to populate all the arguments of GetPIArchiveData and use GetPISnapshotData as a shortcut in writing.

farooquf

Hi Ahmad,

Thank you for your reply.

Here is the use case.

Retrieve latest meter read from PI system. So if I pass today's date I should receive current meter read of that tag. Otherwise I should get most recent one (probably yesterdays, or the day before yesterday...( for dalily reads).

1. PI systems containes daily meter reads. New value at 11:59:59 per day...

2. I want the retreieve latest one using archieve operation..

3. I pass start date and end date (can be last two months, one month, 10 days, a week, etc...from current date)

4. I pass numvalue=1, compress, + outside.

If this is my case than I'll get the most recent value in the specified time range? But, here I'm passing long interval(last 3 months, for instance)...will service "scan" all values and pass the latest one? If this is the case, how performance of snapshot and archive are same?

Ahmad Fattahi

If you are looking for values a specific time interval as you describe, then GetPISnapshotData is not the method to consider. GetPISnapshotData is only used as a shortcut when you are only interested in the snapshot value (as opposed to any archived value) of a tag. If you are interested in anything other than that, including a specific time interval as you described, GetPIArchiveData would be the way to go.

The two methods are equivalent in performance only when retrieving the snapshot value of a tag.