5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 2:56 PM by EdwinYH

How to Reorder AF Element Sequence for PI TreeView Part?

EdwinYH

Hello Vcampus!

When I upload a PI TreeView Part on my SharePoint Web Page, the default order of the AF elements is alphabetical. But I would like to change the order of that.

I could add 1, 2, 3...in front of the elements so that they are in the order I want..but that will mess up a lot of things since if the element names are changed, the attributes will be changed, and they can no longer map to the PI Points (plus they look weird too)

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to do this...

Thanks a lot!

• Re: How to Reorder AF Element Sequence for PI TreeView Part?
          Ahmad Fattahi

I believe there is no way you can change the way the elements are ordered; that's how the webpart is built. However, to see if there is any work around for that I would like to invite you to contact our regular Tech Support. They would be able to answer the end-user as well as system administrator type questions much more efficiently. We on the vCampus would be happy to help you with your programming questions

pkaiser

I'm curious to know in what order you would like the elements to appear, if not alphabetical? Something like oldest to newest by creation date, or similar?

EdwinYH

Hi Ahmad, thanks for your reply.

Hi Paul,

Actually the names of the elements are region names and they should ideally be geographical order from west to east. We are dealing with a large gas distribution pipeline that has stations in different locations.  So if the elements are alphabetical, station 18 for example would be the first element at the top, and station 1 would be somewhere middle in the PI TreeView Part.  So it would be nice if I could rearrange the order of the elements.

Thanks a lot,

Yong

pkaiser

If you could work with a flat list of elements, instead of a hierarchy, you could use the PIOLEDB Enterprise provider to write a query for the elements of interest, and display the results in the PI Table web part. However, you'd need something in the element data that could be used in an ORDER BY clause to get the order you're looking for.

EdwinYH

Thanks a lot Paul,

I will try the PI Table Web Part, the only problem is I do have some child elements for each station.

One other way I'm thinking of is to maybe create a substitute database, and change the element names(for example, region1,region2,region3..which has attributes region1.area, region1.population...) according to geographical locations, like 1region1, 2region2,3region3...so they will be in the order I want, however, the attributes will still be region1.area, region1.population instead of 1region1.area, 1region1.population(these three tags don't even exist)...

I'm wondering if that can be done relatively easily using some kind of referencing?

Thanks for your advice,

Yong