21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2016 2:31 PM by ernstamort

Your ideas on White Paper and Tutorial topics!!

hanyong

The Library is where a online library for technical articles. You can find products' user guides, documentations and programming references. Something worth highlighting is that you also find exclusive whitepapers and tutorials on programming and integration topics here as well, like:

• OSIsoft - Microsoft Accelerators papers
      • Optimizing your PI SDK Applications paper
      • Implementing AF 2.0 Data Reference paper
      • PI OLEDB SQL Optimization paper

There are more papers available for you to check out!

Of cause, what we have now is not an extensive list that would cover all your needs. If you have topics that you think that would make a good paper or tutorial, or topics that would be beneficial for you to refer to, reply to this post and suggest them!

• Re: Your ideas on White Paper and Tutorial topics!!
          andreas

We are currently working on some JDBC whitepapers - stay tuned for more on this!

jlakumb

Few suggestions based on customer requests:

Reporting with PI data: SSRS, SAP BO, Crystal

GIS with PI data: ESRI

PI data on Mobile Devices: Silverlight

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  hanyong

Nice ideas Jay,

FYI, there is a tutorial on using PI OLEDB in SSRS in the Library section now, and there are papers in the pipeline that talk about reporting in SSRS with AF and PI data as well, look forward to that.

hollyy

A couple suggestions based on recent experience:

troubleshooting PIBUFSS and UNIINT

differences in behavior/config between 32 bit and 64 bit

jlakumb

We are planning a "Show Me How" public training webinar on buffering in Q2.

The differences in behavior between 32/64-bit sounds more like a Tech Support question (since 32/64-bit PI products are intended to provide the same functionality).  If there is a specific issue(s) that you ran into, perhaps you can post that in one of the forums?

hollyy

I do have a support case current in progress on these issues. The problem I ran into is that pibufss and uniint fails quietly. When these process ran into a problem, there are no events or log messages to indicate a possible error. I find that the 64 bit version of the products don't work well with the 32 bit products.

@holly: Thanks for the suggestions. However, these topics are rather on the PI System Administration side of things, and as such, they belong to the "Show Me How" webinar series (by the Training department). The "Builders' Café" webinar series (vCampus-exclusive) is focusing on PI programming and systems integrations - like the rest of vCampus ;)

mdsterman

I have a question that I was about to post, perhaps, it might be worth a tutorial.  I have a difficult time finding a reference for PI filter expression syntax.  I have gotten some things to work by trial and error, but would like to create, if possible, more complex expressions.

This works (C#): "('Z3200DATA.DI'=\"START\")"

but can I use more logic?   "('Z3200DATA.DI'=\"START\" && 'Z3200TEST.DI'=\"STOP\")"

Whether or not this is a tutorial, it would be nice to get an answer, or a pointer to a reference.

This is absolutely worth a paper or a guide of some sort! And as a matter of fact, we already have one :)  Please have a look at the "Performance Equations (PE) Reference Manual", available on the vCampus Library > vCampus PI Products Kit > Server Product > PI Server.

It is located under PI Server because this syntax was originall designed to support creation of PI Performance Equations tags - the syntax itself was then reused in many areas such as PI ProcessBook (calculation datasets), PI DataLink (calculation expressions and filter syntax), etc.

Hope this helps!

-Use of Powershell.

-Future data support in the PI server.

-Configured Analytics (preview).

-More webinars like the recent Logica one of using StreamInsight.

-More on Event Frames.

Please

tinklerj

I would like to see something that I think would be of use to a systems integrator; that is, how to set up a standalone vCampus laptop demo/development system.  This is something I am trying to do right now!  The idea is to use the host OS (Windows XP in my case) as the client and run a Windows 2008 Server x64 OS in a VM (using VMWare Player).  Ideally to be able to support, demo, develop and experiment with all the latest vCampus downloads and MSDN downloads for the Microsoft products.  There are all kinds of variables, options and questions - For instance, what would be the minimum Sharepoint installation required?  If all the PI server products are on the same server, will they play nicely together? etc.  Perhaps this could be a new discussion thread - in which forum though?

wpurrer

I have found a forum ... maybe this is the right place ?

learning.osisoft.com/forum.aspx

dtakara

Jeremy,

Thanks for your input!

For what it's worth, Pablo Benvenuto and I are preparing a Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 virtual machine image containing all the latest version of all Microsoft and OSIsoft software products that will be used in the vCampus Live! Hands-On Labs. I'll make sure I share my findings as appropriate, in case we run into issues with not so obvious resolutions.

On a related note, you and other community members might be interested in the vCampus webinar "Your Personal PI System 2010" where the use of the personal development PI System provided with a vCampus membership is explained.

As for the specific questions you raised...

Jeremy Tinkler

Jeremy Tinkler

Jeremy Tinkler

what would be the minimum Sharepoint installation required?

According to the PI WebParts 2010 R2 Administrator Guide, it would be Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007, Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010, or Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010.

Jeremy Tinkler

Jeremy Tinkler

Jeremy Tinkler

If all the PI server products are on the same server, will they play nicely together?

Yes, I would say so, as I've been running PI Server 2010 and AF Server 2010 R2 in my laptop with no problems.

As a side note, if your VM is going to be a domain controller, you might be interested in this known issue, which, as you can see, fortunately has an easy manual fix.

Jeremy Tinkler

Jeremy Tinkler

Jeremy Tinkler

Perhaps this could be a new discussion thread - in which forum though?

Feel free to bring this up as a new thread in the Generic vCampus Discussions forum.

ernstamort

Especially batch reporting ...

Asle Frantzen

I’ve been thinking of this several times while browsing through the available components in the AF User Interface package, and while digging into the help file. Why isn’t the AF UI documented with graphics and more information on the different ways each component can function? The documentation is purely information about function / parameter names.

AF UI contains lots of useful components, I know the most common ones – but as soon as I have some special need and try to find something to save me time (compared to implementing similar functionality myself) I usually find myself in deep water. It usually ends up with trying for some time, before I give up and do everything from scratch.

The PI DevClub team has written some useful and extensive articles on PISquare, how about “The AF UI explained” some time soon? With screenshots and explanations. I take it that maybe 60-70% of the components available are specialized components being used in OSIsoft’s own software, but which components should we use? Which give the most value / saves us the most time? Which do we use in order to accomplish that “PI System Explorer-look”? What if I just need a dropdown box filled with AF objects? How do I use it, what’s the best practice?

I’d really hope the AF UI help file some day will contain screenshots and lots of documentation, but until then maybe we could read an in-depth blog post from the DevClub team?

Thanks!